PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] witching from wubi to full install. How to save programs?

vikash_chandola
October 8th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I am running Ubuntu 11.04 (installed with wubi) since a month. Now i am going to make it's proper dual boot with windows 7(using bootable USB stick). Is there any way to save all those programs that i have already downloaded and installed(vlc,GIMP,VM etc) through Ubuntu software center. I know they are in my computer(in cache folder) but how to reuse them on other installation.I don't want to download those softwares once again that's why i am asking you.
thanks for reply it will really helps me a lot.

sanderd17
October 8th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Well, if you're going to upgrade to 11.10 in a few days, you will need to download them again (since they will have new versions).

So I really wouldn't bother about it and wait a few days before you go to a real installation.

vikash_chandola
October 8th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Well, if you're going to upgrade to 11.10 in a few days, you will need to download them again (since they will have new versions).

So I really wouldn't bother about it and wait a few days before you go to a real installation.
Yes i will install 11.10 but tell me how can i save all those softwares that are installed in my computer right now. Is it possible tosave them??

sanderd17
October 8th, 2011, 02:04 PM
All wubi things are stored in the file C:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk

You can mount that file from inside Ubuntu and use all the files. They are just .deb files, so you can install them by double clicking.

But with the first update (in a few days), they will have to be downloaded anyway.

pkg9991
October 8th, 2011, 02:07 PM
if it's not wubi and we installed it as a separate installation of ubuntu is there a way to backup all downloaded softwares and have not to download them again on new installation of Ubuntu

vikash_chandola
October 8th, 2011, 02:14 PM
if it's not wubi and we installed it as a separate installation of ubuntu is there a way to backup all downloaded softwares and have not to download them again on new installation of Ubuntu
How to do it???

sanderd17
October 8th, 2011, 02:18 PM
take a look at apt-on-cd

raja.genupula
October 8th, 2011, 02:20 PM

Hi man , if the installation is going for same version then i agree with you . But this software is not going to applicable for new versions because we gonna face dependencies problems.
But some application not going to face dependencies problems even though you have new distribution.but most of the applications going face dependencies issue for new distributions.

so no use if keep them.

vikash_chandola
October 8th, 2011, 02:34 PM
take a look at apt-on-cd great i made iso using this tool. How to install it on other installation.
IS there any special way or this

sudo dpkg --install <package_name>
there is a tutorial here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/APTonCD) but i think those screenshots are on old ubuntu versions. I did not found any such thing like tools->Repository in my ubuntu,

sanderd17
October 8th, 2011, 02:42 PM
it's now under software-center -> edit -> software sources

vikash_chandola
October 8th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Is there any way to install these package's ISO without burning it in CD.
I have made proper dual boot of Ubuntu now want to install those packages.

raja.genupula
October 9th, 2011, 03:33 AM
well i think you can extract the pkg's from ISO.then you can go with what you wanna do.

blazemore
October 10th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I wrote a blog post on this a while back.
http://www.blazemore.net/2011/09/how-to-move-your-wubi-installation-to.html

vikash_chandola
October 10th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I wrote a blog post on this a while back.
http://www.blazemore.net/2011/09/how-to-move-your-wubi-installation-to.html
very good blog.

Hylas de Niall
October 26th, 2011, 12:40 PM
They are just .deb files, so you can install them by double clicking.

Is that all i must do after using AptOnCD to transfer back my downloaded .deb's?

I've been looking, and the only bit of the process that doesn't seem to be properly explained to the layman is how to actually reinstall the programs! LOL!