PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] change default desktop manager

malakar.subhendu
October 8th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Nautilus is the default desktop manager in gnome.
I want to change it some other file manager (like Dolphin). Please help me to change it.

Copper Bezel
October 8th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Well, Dolphin doesn't manage the KDE desktop. There are other applications that can draw the desktop, but most of them are lighter-weight and relatively feature-poor in comparison to Nautilus. They include things like Compiz's wallpaper plugin or nitrogen, which simply render a background image (or a set of them) with no icon support at all, as well as more rudimentary file-manager-style desktops with some bonus features, like XFCE's xfdesktop.

Disabling Nautilus as the desktop manager is easy - run gconf-editor from Alt+F2 and navigate to apps/nautilus/preferences, then untick "show desktop." But you can't get KDE's Plasma desktop without using the whole package. I'm not certain how well the Plasma desktop works under Gnome - I know it's integrated with KDE's panel, for one thing.

malakar.subhendu
October 8th, 2011, 01:29 PM
SORRY SORRY SORRY.
I wanted to change the file manager and not the desktop manager.
I wanted to use dolphin as the default file manager in place of nautilus in gnome.
I have KDE installed, but it's many applications specially the networking are not good. so i wanted to use the dolphin file manager.
also KDE does not show the gnome application properly.

raja.genupula
October 8th, 2011, 02:39 PM
have you tried this ?

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/change-of-default-file-manager-700122/

Copper Bezel
October 8th, 2011, 11:40 PM
raja, that's a bit messy.

Instead, change (or add) this line in .local/share/applications/mimeapps.list, but with the appropriate .desktop for Dolphin instead. I think it's just dolphin.desktop.

inode/directory=nautilus.desktop;

raja.genupula
October 9th, 2011, 06:43 AM
raja, that's a bit messy.

Instead, change (or add) this line in .local/share/applications/mimeapps.list, but with the appropriate .desktop for Dolphin instead. I think it's just dolphin.desktop.

inode/directory=nautilus.desktop;

Thanks for the suggestion .I Will remember it.

binary00mind
October 9th, 2011, 07:11 AM
There is another way, very simple

exo-preferred-applications
:wink:

Copper Bezel
October 9th, 2011, 09:03 AM
exo-preferred-applications requires exo-utils. It's an Xfce thing.

binary00mind
October 9th, 2011, 09:30 AM
exo-preferred-applications requires exo-utils. It's an Xfce thing.Well, you could be right. Since I always install everything, kde, xfce, gnome, enlightenment etc.

On the other hand I have 1 fresh install of 11.04 (on Vbox) and I did not installed anything there xfce related except few kde & gnome apps and I changed default file manager to krusader.

The exo-utils was there. So now I don't know if it comes with Gnome as a default package or not (like after fresh install)
or it came as a dependency while I was installing these few apps from kde & gnome that I mentioned above.

Very good, pointing this out.

Copper Bezel
October 9th, 2011, 06:04 PM
So now I don't know if it comes with Gnome as a default package or not (like after fresh install)
or it came as a dependency while I was installing these few apps from kde & gnome that I mentioned above.
No, it's definitely not there on a default install, but it's a dependency for Thunar and a couple of other Xfce apps that tend to get used beyond the Xfce desktop.