PDA

View Full Version : [other] Wanting to install Ubuntu; Clueless.

Grenx
October 8th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Hi, :redface:

New to Ubuntu, the forums, and really interested by it all.
I have downloaded Wubi, managed to install it and get into the OS. So regardless of the title, I technically have Ubuntu installed and operating, in fact I am posting this while using it. In short I love Ubuntu after the short time I've spent with it; I like the GUI and am intrigued to eventually learn about using the terminal for all the useful control it offers. However, this is a Wubi install, and I find it concerning for long term future reliability. If I'm wrong, that's fine, but I'd feel better to install Ubuntu again using an install disc and allow it to have it's own partitions of my disk drive, opposed to this virtual business in the C: drive.

This brings me back to my thread title. Wanting to install Ubuntu, yes. But I am really clueless if I'm not using the Wubi.exe, which is a GREAT tool and I'm happy it was able to introduce me to this operating system in a friendly manner. Again, that aside, I don't know where to go from here. I'm indeed fairly clueless.

Attempting to figure this out on my own-- always so "self-reliant"-- has been... tiresome, to put it simply, and we can leave it at that. From the beginning we play a game of waiting for the plea to finally be out-right asked so I'll cut to it now. I need help from some wise merciful being cruising these etheral Ubuntu forums.
If you'd be so kind.

Allow me to be more specific now, since I actually would like your help, but don't expect myself to deserve any without drawing a starting line. Ahead of time though, I'd like to say thanks to anyone who sticks with me on this and helps me to eventually get Ubuntu running nice and proper, despite me being less tech enabled as some I'll try my best.

START:

(1) Since I have Ubuntu currently installed through Wubi; To clarify my assumptions-- should I remove this installation from my system now, before proceeding? [Please give at least one example of how to do this if you can, but I know I can do it regardless.]

(2) Preparation; I am thinking that the first step I should take is partitioning my drive; I need help with this, I've made partitions before, but do not know where to begin when preparing my drive for a Linux OS with a dual boot setup, keeping my current Win7 OS. [I do not have any specific preferences in this regard, you can tell me how the partitions should be, and I will do my best to make it so. I do not ask for a special setup, just one that works.]

(3) The Ubuntu install disc; I have a 4.7Gb blank disc at hand. My system is AMD 64bit based. [What disc image should I download please? Are there any good recommendations for why I should choose either: latest version VS long-term support version?]

(4) Unawareness; Please, if there is anything helpful that comes to your mind-- that myself, as a technically inexperienced person would probably not have thought of-- try your best to make me aware of any such information that I would need. Thanks.

I just hope to get through this so I can feel secure in the installation of Ubuntu on my system. I tried doing research on this myself, but became overwhelmed. This led to me making this thread, I really do try to solve these things by reading from others' threads and posts and making heavy use of google, however I have to apologize and say that I have no more confidence in my ability to succeed in such an endeavor.
So it is what it is. I am thoroughly thankful for what ever time anyone puts forth in helping me.

sammiev
October 8th, 2011, 05:21 AM
Hi Grenx and welcome to Ubuntu.

I would test what you have for a few weeks ( or more ) and do a lot of reading. 11.10 is a week away and if all is good it maybe the right one for you. You can delete Wubi from the windows control panel when ever and move on. ( LTS ) = long term support. I like to test the new versions as they develop. You can add Linux along side of windows which most people do and dual boot Linux or Windows on start up. :)

Grenx
October 8th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Hello, sammieve

Thanks. You mention I should do a lot of reading of reading. Well I'm not unreasonable, I am willing to read any material. It's just that what I have read so far about actually preparing for an installation by disc has been of little help and has left me for the most part back at square 1. If there is any reading material that someone could recommend to me as it pertains to partition for Ubuntu that would be most helpful. I really need something friendly that can guide me to where I need to be.

Oh, and about testing my version of Ubuntu further, really while this is unnecessary in my eyes, it is probable that I'll end up playing with it some more before moving on and deleting it. However, it should not take nearly a few weeks, I spend a lot of my time at my computer chair. I can confidently confirm my impressions before a few weeks. Thanks again.

bcbc
October 8th, 2011, 05:57 AM
This is a good guide to installing with manual partitioning (mostly it's for release 10.10 but it doesn't change too much between releases): http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p22.html

Elfy
October 8th, 2011, 06:08 AM
I would make sure to resize your windows with the windows tool - not from the livecd.

When you download whichever iso you end up using - make sure you check it
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

As you have a dvd to burn the iso tool to - you might find that you could use this to have a look at the 32bit and the 64bit - even maybe xubuntu and kubuntu - not used it myself I add http://multicd.tuxfamily.org/

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition/ExtendedPartition?highlight=%28%5CbCategoryInstall ation%5Cb%29
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/

Don't do anymore in windows than resize - it won't let you create suitable partitions.
When you've resized boot the livecd and install using free space.

Grenx
October 8th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Thank you, bcbc

I will read through the info on the page you've linked.

Thank you, forestpiskie

"As you have a dvd to burn the iso tool to - you might find that you could use this to have a look at the 32bit and the 64bit - even maybe xubuntu and kubuntu"

I will consider that. And explore the other things mentioned.

Thank you both.