PDA

View Full Version : Your first thoughts on Dapper?

weekend warrior
June 1st, 2006, 06:43 AM
Well since there's a "final thoughts on Breezy (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=185116)" thread, it's only appropriate to have one for your first impressions of the official Dapper release.

So tell us what you think when you get the official release up and running. Good things, bad things, so-so things? Better, worse, about the same as Breezy? What impresses you the most/least? Does it meet your expectations and/or the hype? How about your experience getting a copy of Dapper - easy, difficult, impossible?

henriquemaia
June 1st, 2006, 06:47 AM
Well since there's a "final thoughts on Breezy (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=185116)" thread, it's only appropriate to have one for your first impressions of the official Dapper release.

So tell us what you think when you get the official release up and running. Good things, bad things, so-so things? Better, worse, about the same as Breezy? What impresses you the most/least? Does it meet your expectations and/or the hype? How about your experience getting a copy of Dapper - easy, difficult, impossible?

I trully happy with Dapper, but I have been using it for the past month or so. :)

papangul
June 1st, 2006, 07:02 AM
What impresses you the most/least?
Till Breezy, I had to keep the 'force quit' button on the panel. In Dapper I have almost forgotten that something like that exists in Ubuntu, nothing ever hangs...or crashes.

AlphaMack
June 1st, 2006, 07:22 AM
I was forced onto Dapper for wireless on my PowerBook at the flight 5 stage and was impressed. Clean installed when the RC came out and once over the little annoying humps was satisfied.

I'd imagine that the May 31st daily ISOs are the unofficial "final" releases. :) I burned myself a few copies already. I won't clean install again unless I have to.

niels
June 1st, 2006, 08:05 AM
I bought a new laptop two month ago without Windows and installed Dapper for a test - it never went off again... On my last laptop I had a Breezy/Windows dual boot (not using Windows the last 6 month).

I'm very happy with Dapper. There have been some bugs (anything else would have been maic), but they have all been solved throug the updates.
One of the things I like the most about Dapper is the NetworkManager, the sweet look and the owerall functionality!

I really think the new theme with icons and wndows makes Ubuntu one of the best looking distributions. I never really understood the brown thing, but with Dapper I think it's super cool! All those blue distributions are to boring. Ubuntus new brown/orange look rules!

I think Dapper will make a lot of people use Ubuntu - and Linux...

polo_step
June 1st, 2006, 08:41 AM
Your first thoughts on Dapper?

[ahem!] It's late.

weekend warrior
June 1st, 2006, 12:26 PM
Not too late... Get your torrents while they're hot. 8)

Ubuntu
http://releases.ubuntu.com/6.06/ubuntu-6.06-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

Kubuntu
US
http://us.releases.ubuntu.com/releases/kubuntu/dapper/kubuntu-6.06-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

Europe
http://se.releases.ubuntu.com/releases/kubuntu/dapper/kubuntu-6.06-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

Xubuntu
http://torrent.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/dapper/release/desktop/xubuntu-6.06-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

ubuntu_demon
June 1st, 2006, 01:23 PM
I've been using Dapper since more than a month now. It's stable and fast and I really like the new silicon theme.

neoflight
June 1st, 2006, 02:03 PM
I've been using Dapper since more than a month now. It's stable and fast and I really like the new silicon theme.

i want a clean install...but only dvd iso...i dont have a dvd writer...
iam stuck... what should i do with the 3.2gb file?

](*,)

ubuntu_demon
June 1st, 2006, 02:17 PM
i want a clean install...but only dvd iso...i dont have a dvd writer...
iam stuck... what should i do with the 3.2gb file?

](*,)
You probably don't need a clean install.

But if you want a clean install you don't have to install from dvd. Just download the ubuntu cd from http://www.ubuntu.com/download and burn it.

Klaidas
June 1st, 2006, 02:41 PM
Well, as I see dapper for the first time (if we don't count screenshots of it) I am very impressed. This is my firt boot-up of dapper, I'm now customizing it ;)
Keep up the work, that's what I can say

Sushi
June 1st, 2006, 03:05 PM
I have been using it for some time now, and.... I'm not impressed. Everything seems to be slower. The bootup-time is more or less the same, GNOME takes a while to start (not exceedingly long, but still. Icons, background and applets appear slowly etc). and so forth. Now, I think that something went wrong when I dist-upgraded from Breezy to dapper, and that is why I'm doing a clean re-install.

So I'm not disappointed at Dapper as such, I'm disappointed at the Dapper that is installed on my computer.

Sammi
June 1st, 2006, 03:53 PM
Sushi: Old computer?

Klaidas
June 1st, 2006, 04:28 PM
I have been using it for some time now, and.... I'm not impressed. Everything seems to be slower. The bootup-time is more or less the same, GNOME takes a while to start (not exceedingly long, but still. Icons, background and applets appear slowly etc). and so forth. Now, I think that something went wrong when I dist-upgraded from Breezy to dapper, and that is why I'm doing a clean re-install.

So I'm not disappointed at Dapper as such, I'm disappointed at the Dapper that is installed on my computer.

Hmm. It's 100% opposite for me.
Breezy booted up in about 1 minutes 10 seconds - Dapper boots up in 43 seconds.

Almighty
June 1st, 2006, 05:53 PM
So far I like Dapper, but I thought the hype may have given me a false impression of the OS had to offer. I guess I was expecting an improvement to the magnitude of a windows OS.

That goes without saying, I do love this OS A LOT! It feels faster, it is easier on the eyes after you get rid of all the brown. When they said this is the most polished version of Ubuntu to date I think they are correct, but I wonder if they were polishing the wrong things? The GUI and interface is one thing, but what about administration? What about Utilities that intergrate with the rest of the MS Windows universe? Ubuntu is young and how I see it can not compete with the likes of Windows or Mac today, but I get happy in the pants when I think about were it will be next year this time or even 2 yrs from now.

ComplexNumber
June 1st, 2006, 06:39 PM
thats because of speed improvements in gnome 2.14.

Bragador
June 1st, 2006, 08:17 PM
Yet, gnome is part of Ubuntu so Ubuntu DOES boot faster.

Zdravko
June 1st, 2006, 08:27 PM
I managed a dual-boot with Windows XP. Although my computer is reasonably old, it seems to me that the boot-time is shorter. Furthermore the whole GNOME desktop is faster and works efficient.
The outlook ... Well.... It's brilliant! Warm, fresh and crystal bright colors!
Now I am going to change my flavor to "Dapper user"!

Klaidas
June 1st, 2006, 08:42 PM
ya, that orange collor is really cool :)
Makes ubuntu more "linux for human beings" if you ask me 8)

Reshin
June 1st, 2006, 08:47 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but why does upgrading from breezy to dapper with apt-get upgrade & apt-get dist-upgrade remove ubuntu-desktop and leave some ubuntu-specific apps out? Yeah, installed it after the upgrades but just wanna know why.

cjm5229
June 1st, 2006, 09:13 PM
I've been using it since flight 4. Even early on it worked great, except for printing and network issues, all went away with upgrades. I'm downloading the ISO now, going to get as many people as I can to try it out. Now where is Edgy Eft hiding???:-D

dada1958
June 1st, 2006, 09:57 PM
I love Dapper Drake; it's my second upgrade since I discovered Ubuntu in August 2005. In that time it grew to a very mature OS.
I installed Ubuntu-Server on my second P III Compaq that is going to replace my good old beige Mac G3 which served me as web server. It's working right out of the box, with Apache, PHP and MySQL up and running.
Wow, I'm impressed!

polo_step
June 1st, 2006, 10:19 PM
I think I like it quite a bit, but I want to make sure that what I'm seeing is what I'm getting in terms of hardware support. I'm still not sure how to determine if a device is installed and working properly or merely recognized. In the system device GUI I'm seeing a uselessly cryptic "Status: status" instead of something more clear, such as "installed" or "working properly."

As much as I like 6.06, there's apparently still the fatal lack of true support for my notebook wireless card, as the ra0 frontend only supports the grossly obsolete WEP encryption option, as it did in 5.10 -- and in fact appears unchanged from the previous releases.

So...unless there's a better frontend for wireless somewhere in there (and if there is, please tell me), it looks like 6.06 is never going on the notebook, which means it's never going to see serious use. :(

BoyOfDestiny
June 1st, 2006, 10:30 PM
I think I like it quite a bit, but I want to make sure that what I'm seeing is what I'm getting in terms of hardware support. I'm still not sure how to determine if a device is installed and working properly or merely recognized. In the system device GUI I'm seeing a uselessly cryptic "Status: status" instead of something more clear, such as "installed" or "working properly."

As much as I like 6.06, there's apparently still the fatal lack of true support for my notebook wireless card, as the ra0 frontend only supports the grossly obsolete WEP encryption option, as it did in 5.10 -- and in fact appears unchanged from the previous releases.

So...unless there's a better frontend for wireless somewhere in there (and if there is, please tell me), it looks like 6.06 is never going on the notebook, which means it's never going to see serious use. :(

http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/

"A Gnome initiative called Network Manager allow users to roam between wireless and wireless networks using WPA2 WPA, WEP and unencrypted standards."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WPA2

It's in the ubuntu repos under:

network-manager-gnome

I haven't tested it. Hope it does what you need it to.

Harold P
June 1st, 2006, 10:40 PM
I like it... one problem, though:

Every time I try to change an icon to a shortcut on the taskbar, it totally poops out on me and starts flashing. I can deal with this, of course. I just wish it'd stop. :mad:

Dapper = 9.999/10

teia
June 1st, 2006, 11:20 PM
Well my first experience with Dapper was quite shocking to say the least. During the upgrade download/install my cat decided to play on the keyboard and interrupted the whole process.
It all ended up with a brand new installation of Breezy before trying to upgrade again and this time I made sure the cat was out of the house.
Anyway the cat got the payment he deserved today. I took him to the vet. and castrated him 8)
Now my Dapper is functioning just fine and the cat is laying in a dark corner of the room after having pissed himself and throwed up all he's guts. Everything back to normal.

Dapper is great, it even found my camera. Just plugged it in and it popped up like magic. With widow xp i had to install drivers. I think Dappers has a great future

Teia

polo_step
June 2nd, 2006, 12:09 AM
network-manager-gnome

I haven't tested it. Hope it does what you need it to.
I certainly do, too.

I think this is what I saw someone mentioning earlier as a very big improvement in WiFi during the beta stages of 6.06.

I also have to say that I really like the look of 6.06 -- the colors were a gutsy move that really sounded hideous, but in fact look quite interesting and distinctive. [I'm a BFA so I get to pull rank in aesthetic arguments, you see ;) ...about all that degree was ever worth in the real world. :-k ]

I don't want to rush to any blanket raves yet, but the live installation (in which I am working at the moment) seems very, very solid and looks like it has painlessly installed everything on two machines except the nVidia card in the Linux box, which of course needs the proprietary drivers. I think the UniChromePro video in the notebook was even installed, but I'm not 100% sure about how to tell (see previous message).

Many of the things I had hoped for but hadn't any serious expectation of getting are here -- like the CD integrity check which, though lengthy, is reassuring for all those people who are downloading and burning their own CDs.

I'm listening to streaming Vorbis classical netradio as I write this. Setting it up was slightly awkward, but functional.

I'm exceptionally pleased so far...well beyond my expectations!

Rackerz
June 2nd, 2006, 12:51 AM
I too am also very impressed with Dapper. Breezy was my starting point, it was my road to Linux. I switched back to Windows after Breezy because it didn't seem as if it was for me. But Dapper is a major improvement and I'd recommend it to anyone. Setting up Breezy seemed like a job for me, but with Dapper everything works and it's a joy to be running a faster more functional machine :).

Dapper is a lot better than I expected, and that's saying a lot :KS

briancurtin
June 2nd, 2006, 01:44 AM
It's working right out of the box, with Apache, PHP and MySQL up and running.
Wow, I'm impressed!
do you mean that apache and mysql are running by default on every install? or do you mean that the general lot of things works out of the box and that you got apache and mysql running?

briancurtin
June 2nd, 2006, 01:45 AM
ya, that orange collor is really cool :)
Makes ubuntu more "linux for human beings" if you ask me 8)
what about orange is more "for human beings" than brown? not that im saying brown is representative of human, just wondering.

polo_step
June 2nd, 2006, 02:18 AM
what about orange is more "for human beings" than brown? not that im saying brown is representative of human, just wondering.
I just mentioned this situation on Digg.

Industrial psychologists have long known through research that brown is the most immediately repulsive color there is. Therefore, on the face of it, it was a very big mistake to make it a trademark color for any software release in a competitive market.

What I find fascinating is that whoever was behind damage control on this chose to use for highlighting the default desktop the most immediately-attractive of colors, orange. Like fish tacos, the combination sounds horrible but actually works out.

I'm really wondering if someone on the team read the research on this or it was just lucky intuition.

basketcase
June 2nd, 2006, 03:43 AM
http://basketcase.wordpress.com/

^^^ My thoughts on Breezy

Master Shake
June 2nd, 2006, 04:34 AM
I like the new way the 'add / remove programs' applet is setup now.

fuscia
June 2nd, 2006, 04:39 AM

orange says 'tanning bed', a distinctly human phenomenon.

Sushi
June 2nd, 2006, 07:20 AM
Sushi: Old computer?

Athlon64 3200+
1GB DDR400 RAM
GeForce FX5900
160GB SATA Drive

And I don't think that the specs of the machine is the issue here. Breezy was considerably "snappier" than Dapper is on this machine.

Sushi
June 2nd, 2006, 07:25 AM

I know that is SHOULD be faster. But for some reason it's not on my machine. Which makes me believe that there's something wrong with my system.

The slowdown is nothing major. It's just that everything seems to be a bit slower. For example, when I click on "Applications", the menu appear, but the icons appear fraction of a second later. Apps load a bit slower than before, booting up GNOME is a bit slower, with icons and applets appearing a bit slower than before (it kinda reminds me of how XP boots up). It's nothing that I could point my finger at, it's just lots of little things that seem to be a bit slower than before. And while it might not be a "major" slowdown, it makes the system feel not "snappy".

Lopsicle
June 2nd, 2006, 07:59 AM
I downloaded and setup yesterday it took just under 3hours. This evening I will be spending another hour at least reinstalling Breezy. I have less things working now than I had in Breezy, and its slower.

Yes I read the forums, yes I have used the terminal yes I have tried this and that.But the simple fact is I dont have the time to be messing about with this for hours on end.

I shall wait till my cd's arrive and give it one more try, if I find Im spending more time in here I will have to consider buying a macmini. I just want something that works :)

June 2nd, 2006, 10:04 AM
Nice, it seems.
But on my computer nothing works after upgrading. No sound, no PCMCIA, no USB. So I need to keep using 5.10 - until the next time I'm willing to waste a couple of days on trying to figure out what's wrong.

GreyFox503
June 2nd, 2006, 10:18 AM
First thoughts?

What happened to the old install/live/dvd images? Now its desktop/server/alternate images.

I have only ran the cd live, and I'm already impressed. It just looks really slick. Menus look great (especially the shutdown dialog), and the theme is nice. Can't wait to install!

dada1958
June 2nd, 2006, 11:14 AM
do you mean that apache and mysql are running by default on every install? or do you mean that the general lot of things works out of the box and that you got apache and mysql running?

The only thing I had to do was assigning a password for the MySQL database.

marcelm
June 2nd, 2006, 05:39 PM
I've been using it for some weeks. There are some glitches, but for a free OS it's remarkable. The developers and beta testers did a great job. excellent. As I am a developer I hope to make some contributions in the future.

Syirrus
June 2nd, 2006, 06:04 PM
Dapper is horrible thus far. So far all I see in the forums are people complaining about how when they upgrade from Breezy to Dapper, they lose X etc. Its so bad that I can't even boot the live cd. What gives? I know that developing a small website let alone an OS can be an overwhelming task. I just wish there was a little bit more quality control. The RC shouldn't have made the final cut so soon. Let us supporters test the RC's etc., submit bug reports before being quick to call a half baked RC a final. Well, it looks like I will be waiting for Edgy.

prizrak
June 2nd, 2006, 06:29 PM
Dapper is THE most boring OS I have ever used. Between a flawless and quick install and Automatix it took me no time to get up and running. There was a little quirk with network-manager but that was a simple enough fix (although admittedly the info on the forums was good for someone proficient like me but a newbie would have been lost). The only thing I have left is devilspie but that's not something regular people use.

So far so good really, it is a good OS with alot of little annoyances fixed. Even my wireless is working with WPA w/o having to jump through hoops and config files.

Gtaylor
June 2nd, 2006, 06:40 PM
I really like to constantly investigate distributions as they release, I've got VMware on almost all of my machines and usually have 8-10 images of different distros of linux/BSD sitting on my drives at any given time. Out of all of the recent releases, Dapper has impressed me the most, hands down.

The critical points that made me really like Dapper as opposed to other recent releases:

The laptop support is unparalleled. Period. The end.
Dapper runs much faster than most distros on my hardware. It runs much faster than Breezy as well, which was somewhat sluggish.
The developers took a very aggressive stance with new features and re-organizations. To take on such ambitious projects, I think the Dapper release went extraordinarily well. There are going to be lots of bugs for the first few weeks, bugs that probably weren't turned up by a much smaller population of testers. But like most issues, the developers will get to them eventually. Overall, for all of the new stuff, Dapper is very well off.
Wireless is steadily getting easier to get working with each release. With Dapper, we now see a spiffed up ipw2200 and a newly available broadcom driver. As I'm in a LUG that actively helps people install Linux on a wide variety of hardware, this has been a huge hit and a great blessing to us and all of our members running Ubuntu. Wireless is truely one of the biggest hurdles for getting Linux running well on laptops.
Package selection. This has always been a plus to Ubuntu. Making use of the vast army of packagers rolling Debian and Ubuntu packages, combined with the unquestionable power of APT, Dapper continues to show with great force in terms of software selection.

I am eagerly looking forward to Edgy. I do hope it can pick up the momentum Dapper set.

gabbman
June 2nd, 2006, 06:44 PM
I am generally very pleased with the RC install updated. The only thing broken is the update manager which I put in a late bug report on, other then that I'll do a clean install probably this weekend to see if that fixes the problem.
One thing for sure is ubuntu has converted this old kde dog to a gnome fan. :)

a-nubi-s
June 2nd, 2006, 09:17 PM
Lots of work and changes went into Ubuntu but almost nothing in Kubuntu :-|