PDA

View Full Version : Flash Player for 64-bit Linux

newbie2
June 1st, 2006, 06:12 AM
Thank you for contacting Customer Service at Macromedia, now part of Adobe Systems.

We understand your inquiry about Flash Player.

Please note that we do not have Flash Player for 64-bit Linux system yet. We do not have any public information on when it will become supported. We appreciate your taking the time to send us feedback since it is the thoughts and suggestions of our customers which allow us to continually improve our products and services.

Comments such as yours help us in guiding our ongoing efforts in improving our service. You can also submit your suggestions or comments on how we can improve future versions of our software, or to report possible "bugs" in our current versions, please visit:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/email/wishform/

Should you have other inquiries, please contact us again.

Regards,

Elma Canasa
Customer Service
Macromedia, now part of Adobe Systems
get them noticed ! :mrgreen:

BoyOfDestiny
June 1st, 2006, 06:15 AM
Better yet, support this.

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

I just compiled the cvs about 5 minutes ago... Now to play with it a bit. :)

On Dapper Drake amd64, so yes it compiles on 64-bit too... :)

RAOF
June 1st, 2006, 06:50 AM
And for those interested, I frequently build AMD64 Dapper packages of the latest CVS and put them in the "flash" section of my repository: raof.dyndns.org/falcon.

vayu
June 1st, 2006, 09:09 AM
How well does it work?

ewiget
June 5th, 2006, 06:48 PM
How well does it work?

I too found gnash a few weeks ago. My problem with previous suggestions (such as running firefox under wine and using the windows version, or using the linux32 firefox32 install) was that these were unstable and often crashed.

After installing gnash, I haven't had any firefox crashes on flash web sites, and it has worked on all sites so far.

I am using Ubuntu Dapper on AMD 64

phaggood
June 6th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Just installed (via apt-get instructions above) Gnash on my x86_64 Presario; I go to a flash-page and I get "xxx.swf downloaded' but no pic on screen. ARe there perhaps steps that I missed (added falcon repository, added keys, did atp-det update).

Anyone using x86_64 and gnash, please check out this page:

http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/fiore/

qalimas
June 6th, 2006, 05:36 PM
I use a 32 bit system, and have flashplayer "working". But there has always been that annoying bug with the sound and video getting off sync really quickly. Does it do that in this player?

RAOF
June 7th, 2006, 01:59 AM
I use a 32 bit system, and have flashplayer "working". But there has always been that annoying bug with the sound and video getting off sync really quickly. Does it do that in this player?
No, but this player doesn't do some important things. Specifically, it fails the homestarrunner test - you can't navigate using flash :(

qalimas
June 7th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Well, all I do is watch the occasional YouTube or Google Video, so I'll give it a try

wmcbrine
June 7th, 2006, 11:27 AM
I tried Gnash, and got immediate crashes. (Could this be a conflict with the FlashBlock extension? The sites where it crashed, including homestarrunner.com, were in my FlashBlock whitelist.) So I went back to GPL Flash.

Edit: After finding out that Flashblock was seemingly the cause of my Gmail crashes (q.v.), I tried Gnash again with Flashblock disabled; no improvement.