PDA

View Full Version : AMD-ATI Merger Looks Likely

RAV TUX
June 1st, 2006, 06:10 AM
forbes.com
Market Scan
AMD-ATI Merger Looks Likely
Maya Roney, 05.31.06, 11:24 AM ET

http://www.forbes.com/markets/economy/2006/05/31/amd-ati-technologies-0531markets10.html

Advanced Micro Devices may be looking to buy graphics company ATI Technologies, a move that would benefit the overall graphics industry, according to RBC Capital Markets.

"The synergies of this seem consistent with the recent announcements by AMD to significantly increase capacity over the next few-years," wrote analyst Apjit Walia in a note to investors Wednesday. "We believe ATI is a rare-buy in the semiconductor space right now given the near-term tie-up dynamics."

Walia based his prediction on recent checks in the PC food chain. RBC has an "outperform" rating and $23 price target on ATI, and no rating on AMD. The firm expects ATI to report fiscal 2007 earnings per share of $1.06.

It has long been discussed that the graphics-companies are likely to be bought by one of the microprocessor companies, according to Walia. However, for AMD-rival Intel (nasdaq: INTC - news - people ), a partnership with a graphics company may not be the best idea.

"This tie-up might make sense for AMD at this juncture but we don't think Intel should pursue tying-up with graphics companies and should instead look at the communications-space," said the analyst.

Walia maintained a "sector perform" rating and $21 price target on Intel, expecting more announcements of Dell (nasdaq: DELL - news - people )-AMD partnerships this year, to Intel's detriment.

"The competitive dynamics of the microprocessor-market seem to be changing permanently, he said. "We believe Intel is still not 'reading-the-writing-on-the-wall' and continues to over-focus on PCs."

Intel has introduced drastic price-cuts for its Celeron, Pentium-4, Pentium-D and Conroe processors, which could make the price-war "quite ugly," in Walia's opinion. Intel does seem to have gained some share-back from AMD with the price cuts, but the impact on margins is negative, the analyst said.

In addition, the overall PC market continues to slow and Intel's June quarter is looking "progressively worse" with revenues down close to 10% and the September quarter tracking below seasonality, according to Walia's checks.

"We turned neutral on Intel couple-of-weeks ago given our view of the risk-reward being balanced given the bad-news out there, but we remain negative on the semi-space," said the analyst. "However, this AMD-ATI tie-up would obviously be a clear-positive for the graphics space."

B0rsuk
June 1st, 2006, 06:50 AM
I don't like the sound of it.
AMD has been making superior processors for a while, that's why my 2 last CPUs were AMD.
But ATI is known for their awful Linux drivers. If this deal somehow makes future AMD cpus incompatible with Nvidia cards, I'll be angry.

So which CPU company is less disgusting now ? The one who may ally itself with ATI, or the one who makes deals to place artificial restriction in Skype code so it's impossible to have 10 people conference with competing CPUs ?
(Skype has been hacked to prove all it needs to do to work great with AMD CPUs is to change one line of code, and Skype is (or used to) explicitly checking for processor family)

BoyOfDestiny
June 1st, 2006, 06:56 AM
I don't like the sound of it.
AMD has been making superior processors for a while, that's why my 2 last CPUs were AMD.
But ATI is known for their awful Linux drivers. If this deal somehow makes future AMD cpus incompatible with Nvidia cards, I'll be angry.

So which CPU company is less disgusting now ? The one who may ally itself with ATI, or the one who makes deals to place artificial restriction in Skype code so it's impossible to have 10 people conference with competing CPUs ?
(Skype has been hacked to prove all it needs to do to work great with AMD CPUs is to change one line of code, and Skype is (or used to) explicitly checking for processor family)

Erm I doubt they would make it incompatible with nvidia boards. I'm using an ati card on an nforce mobo with an amd chip. In terms of the ati driver, I'm using the open source one... Anyway, just my thoughts, the article doesn't really mention anything like this...

As for intel vs amd... I think amd is still the under dog, but I do prefer their desktop chips. Intel seems to be doing better for portables in terms of power use (this is my opinion and my own experience.)

As for skype, that's what you get with proprietary software. Preferably use something else, or just put up with it...

Sushi
June 1st, 2006, 07:22 AM
Yeah, since those analysts have a flawless track-record :rolleyes:....

Lux Perpetua
June 1st, 2006, 09:55 AM
It was bound to happen...my CPU has been eyeing my GPU for a while now. I guess the eye candy became too much to bear.

tribaal
June 1st, 2006, 09:59 AM
Ah well let's hope AMD will help ATI decide to release linux drivers :)

- trib' (optimism is good)