PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the Ubuntu fever???

arashiko28
October 7th, 2011, 06:55 PM
The new Ubuntu version 11.10 is coming up and there is nothing about it on ubuntu forums, not even ubuntu.com! What is going on?
No development talks, no testing forums... I do get disconnected from the world sometimes because of my work, but I'm always looking forward to the latest release, and this time... nothing, had to do more than just google to find something about the upcoming release, failing at finding a trustworthy source for beta download, not to mention a rc. Either links are dead, or suspicious.
What is going on? Something happened and I'm the only one that don't know a thing?

TeoBigusGeekus
October 7th, 2011, 06:58 PM
The last time with natty, it was a rather bitter experience.
So, I guess people just hold their horses...

praveenthivari
October 7th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Lol.....You really seem to be disconnected from ubuntu for long time :-)

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=403

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/tag/oneiric

As for developmental builds/daily builds
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/current/

dniMretsaM
October 7th, 2011, 09:23 PM
People are mad about (a) Unity and (b) the removal of Classic mode. These people are overreacting in my opinion, but that's what they're doing. So there is considerably less hype. There are some threads about it, but not like there usually is. I expect it will pick back up around the release of Pangolin.

MG&TL
October 7th, 2011, 09:31 PM
IDK. I've been bouncing up and down about it. But I agree, it could have been a little more fanfare-ed after the initial 'stable-ish' releases.

The Linux Format podcast doesn't seem to be talking about the beta, they're talking about the new myapps thing. Which IS fairly exciting, I grant you.

oldos2er
October 7th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Not a support question; moved to Community Cafe.

Thewhistlingwind
October 8th, 2011, 01:42 AM
It'll be back by 12.04

Thats what I'm waiting on.

mrfelker
October 8th, 2011, 02:22 AM
I like that you can use Gnome3 without breaking the 11.10 system. I mostly use either that or KDE but Unity is starting to load faster. Anyway Ubuntu is rather staid now - at least comp[ared to Fedora.

dwasifar
October 8th, 2011, 03:16 AM
I think those who blame it on the interface change are correct. Unity lost Ubuntu a lot of supporters and momentum.

Look at what's happening with the downstream distros. Crunchbang, which used to be an Ubuntu derivative, is now based directly on Debian. Linux Mint is clearly heading that way too, and I suspect many of the smaller downstream distros such as Zorin and Pinguy will be faced with the same choice soon.

Personally, if forced to choose between Unity and Gnome Shell, I'd take Gnome Shell. If given the choice between that, KDE, and XFCE, I'd probably go with XFCE and regretfully bid adieu to my desktop effects. But, like Linus, I'm still hoping someone will fork Gnome 2 and save me the choice. Until then I'm using Mint 10 or Pinguy 11.04 where I would once have used Ubuntu.

CaptinGoogle
October 8th, 2011, 03:22 AM
I'm new to Ubuntu and I have only just started getting into the loop of things; so I've just been bouncing off the walls about this new release even though I'm not too happy about the removal of the classic gnome.

dniMretsaM
October 8th, 2011, 03:41 AM
But, like Linus, I'm still hoping someone will fork Gnome 2 and save me the choice. Until then I'm using Mint 10 or Pinguy 11.04 where I would once have used Ubuntu.

You might want to take a look at MATE Desktop Environment (https://github.com/Perberos/Mate-Desktop-Environment).

I'm new to Ubuntu and I have only just started getting into the loop of things; so I've just been bouncing off the walls about this new release even though I'm not too happy about the removal of the classic gnome.

The removal of Classic mode was unavoidable simply because of the fact that GNOME2 is losing official support. It has been forked (see above), but who knows how long that'll last. Some forks die almost instantly while others (like Clementine, a fork of Amarok 1.4.x) last a long time and become very good. You may be interested in gnome-fallback (some info on it can be found here (http://jeremy.bicha.net/2011/09/11/getting-started-with-gnome-in-oneiric/)) mode which will be installable from the default repositories.

dniMretsaM
October 8th, 2011, 03:44 AM
I just realized I haven't posted my feelings about the upcoming release. I AM FREAKING PUMPED! There.

Gawains Green Knight
October 8th, 2011, 03:45 AM
I'm used to unity now - to the point that I'm annoyed that my old laptop running linux mint LXDE doesn't have it. We are creatures of habit....

Haven't noticed anything too new with 11.1o though. I guess its all behind the scenes....

wolfen69
October 8th, 2011, 03:46 AM
I think those who blame it on the interface change are correct. Unity lost Ubuntu a lot of supporters and momentum.

There would be a backlash no matter what they made as their default desktop environment. It's all subjective.

simpleblue
October 8th, 2011, 04:28 AM
I'm excited about the new release. I'll likely be on the forums and on IRC all day chatting and testing it out.

IWantFroyo
October 8th, 2011, 04:44 AM
The hype is pretty down this release. Of course, I'll probably still have my own little festival on release day where I drink way too much root beer and stay up until midnight reporting Oneiric bugs on the Toshiba T235D series.

KBD47
October 8th, 2011, 04:51 AM

+1 for not happy about removal of classic gnome. Unity is fine for just web surfing and doing email, but if you want to get work done using multiple files and windows--unity just gets in the way.
I'm waiting for 12.04 lts. If they have a classic gnome choice very much like gnome 2 I'll go with that, if not I'll be a Xubuntu convert.
KBD47

Copper Bezel
October 8th, 2011, 05:18 AM
I don't think it's just the Unity hate. I mean, there's the Unity love, too, and the rewritten Compiz in 11.04. Last cycle was just more prone to hype, promising a lot of big, visible changes. 11.10 is subtle revisions and enhancements.

I never upgrade straight out of the gate, and I may have some problems with this iteration on my kit, but I'd love to get in on the new Gnome 3 tweaks. There's some really sensible, useful, impressive stuff in there. Just not exciting stuff.

ninjaaron
October 8th, 2011, 05:25 AM
There are never many exciting updates between the second beta and the release. All the features are in, and it's just bug fixes, which, while enormously important, are not too exciting.

There may be some backlash over Unity, but I wouldn't give it too much credit. It's normal at this point in the development cycle.

wolfen69
October 8th, 2011, 06:03 AM
+1 for not happy about removal of classic gnome.
You do realize it's more than just Canonical abandoning gnome2. The Gnome team no longer supports it. G3 can be made to be pretty close to G2, with a little tweaking. I don't see what the big deal is. Once you get used to it, Unity is actually pretty good.

KBD47
October 8th, 2011, 06:13 AM
You do realize it's more than just Canonical abandoning gnome2. The Gnome team no longer supports it. G3 can be made to be pretty close to G2, with a little tweaking. I don't see what the big deal is. Once you get used to it, Unity is actually pretty good.

I know they can't stay with gnome 2, and it is mind-boggling to me that gnome would take a great desktop that many users enjoyed and totally bork it. All that 'alt' junk needs removed on gnome 3 if it is ever going to be user friendly, I just can't get over the 'no shutdown' in the menu of gnome 3. Anyway, I'm hoping that Clem over at Mint can beat gnome 3 into usability, but my hopes are not high. I expect I'll be going to Xubuntu by time lts release rolls around.
KBD47

vasa1
October 8th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Someone had asked about a release candidate and it appeared that there wouldn't be one. (I can't find that thread.)

But, according to Daniel Holbach (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/10/ubuntu-11-10-development-update-15/), one is planned:

One week left! Are you excited already? The release candidate is going to get out soon and we will have days full of testing the installation on all architectures, in all kinds of installations scenarios. If you want to help out with the testing, it will be much appreciated.

wolfen69
October 8th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Someone had asked about a release candidate and it appeared that there wouldn't be one. (I can't find that thread.)

But, according to Daniel Holbach (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/10/ubuntu-11-10-development-update-15/), one is planned:

Does it really matter? Just get the daily image. http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

drawkcab
October 8th, 2011, 06:28 AM
RC was supposed to be out a few days back according to the schedule.

de Bacon
October 8th, 2011, 06:28 AM
I have been out of touch for quite some time, as some others. I am so much a creature of habit I never look forward the "new" releases. Sometimes they cause me problems!

I switched to Kubuntu with the 11.04 release, a little different with + & - in my opinion. Though I am not much of a computing whiz, I just use it. :P

wolfen69
October 8th, 2011, 06:38 AM
RC was supposed to be out a few days back according to the schedule.

The "RC" status actually doesn't mean much. Updates come fast and furious during the last few weeks. But so far 11.10 seems extremely stable and will probably make most people happy.

ninjaaron
October 8th, 2011, 07:15 AM
The "RC" status actually doesn't mean much. Updates come fast and furious during the last few weeks. But so far 11.10 seems extremely stable and will probably make most people happy.

That depends. I tweak compiz pretty heavily, which can always cause weird results, but in 11.10, it's causing REALLY weird results. I think this has something to do with Compiz+Gnome3. I have a feeling this was a rather difficult transition, and they have made sure the default settings work, but some of the other options aren't quite there yet.

MG&TL
October 8th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I know they can't stay with gnome 2, and it is mind-boggling to me that gnome would take a great desktop that many users enjoyed and totally bork it. All that 'alt' junk needs removed on gnome 3 if it is ever going to be user friendly, I just can't get over the 'no shutdown' in the menu of gnome 3.
KBD47

You can install something called gnome-failsafe or gnome-fallback (it seems to change its name quite a lot) which is (mostly) the GNOME2 interface with GTK3. Not bad. Give it a go.

The only obvious thing in Oneiric is GNOME-shell compatibility and the new login screen. Both are big improvements, IMO. But I think the thing I'm most excited about is the little tweaks they've done to make it easeir to use.

sffvba[e0rt
October 8th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I can't really say how it was many releases ago but the talk about the new release has been on par with most of the recent releases IMO... And I am stoked for the new release, can't wait :guitar:

Paqman
October 8th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Hype is overrated anyway.

IMO Ubuntu should release the 6-monthlies as testing releases, and push the LTS more publicly. A 6-month cycle is not mainstream- or enterprise-friendly.

TeoBigusGeekus
October 8th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Hype is overrated anyway.

IMO Ubuntu should release the 6-monthlies as testing releases, and push the LTS more publicly. A 6-month cycle is not mainstream- or enterprise-friendly.

+1
I think it is already known; it just waits for an official announcement...

mgmiller
October 8th, 2011, 02:02 PM
+1 on LTS for business use.
However....

My office has been running Ubuntu since 8.04 which stayed in place till 10.04 came out and then switched to that. At home I keep up with the 6 month release cycles and 11.04 so impressed me I use it on my busiest workstation in the office. I need all 4 desktops and I am constantly switching between them. I found after the initial learning curve, I enjoy using it and it doesn't "get in the way" as many nay-sayers complain. I did try unity prior to Natty and found it pretty much unusable.

There was a huge positive change in usability for 11.04 and I am looking forward to 11.10.
I plan to upgrade the rest of my office when 12.04 comes out.

pkg9991
October 8th, 2011, 02:04 PM
are u cut off from the world bro??
check this out
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=403

thatguruguy
October 8th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I have a confession to make. I'm an attorney, and the work I do on my computer is primarily word processing, research, e-mail and calendar management. I find that Unity, with the launcher on the left side with the stuff I need on it, actually improves productivity vs. the old Gnome 2 way of using a drop-down menu to get to my apps.

There, I said it.

Glenn nl
October 8th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Linux Mint should be to XFCE what Ubuntu was for GNOME.
I would love to see the GNOME version scrapped and the XFCE version the official one.

KBD47
October 8th, 2011, 07:23 PM
You can install something called gnome-failsafe or gnome-fallback (it seems to change its name quite a lot) which is (mostly) the GNOME2 interface with GTK3. Not bad. Give it a go.

The only obvious thing in Oneiric is GNOME-shell compatibility and the new login screen. Both are big improvements, IMO. But I think the thing I'm most excited about is the little tweaks they've done to make it easeir to use.

I've heard that the fallback is not as nice as Gnome 2. I really hope they can make it at least as good as Gnome 2, but I'm not convinced it's there yet. I'll try fallback when 11.10 is released. If I don't like it I'll switch to Xubuntu.
I don't think Unity is horrible, or even unusable for most people. My wife does fine with it, though she only does email and surfs the web. If that's all I'm doing Unity is fine for me, but once I get to working it really gets in the way compared to Gnome 2.
KBD47

dniMretsaM
October 8th, 2011, 07:28 PM
If that's all I'm doing Unity is fine for me, but once I get to working it really gets in the way compared to Gnome 2.
KBD47

Oh the fear of change... Unity does not get in the way. You've used GNOME 2 for a while, you are used to it. Unity is new(ish), you're not used to it so it seems to get in the way. But if you take the time to learn how to get around efficiently, you'll probably do as good or better with it than with GNOME 2.

BigSilly
October 8th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I've got the Ubuntu fever again! I admit I had problems with 11.04 (not Unity related) so I had to switch to something else, but 11.10 has got me in the swing again. Using it now and it's awesome. Haters begone!

I agree (again) with thatguruguy above. I'll quite freely admit that both Gnome 3 and Unity have improved my everyday computer experience no problem. I do not understand the internet s***storm, but then again these days internet s***storms are ten a penny about almost anything you care to discuss.

KBD47
October 8th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Oh the fear of change... Unity does not get in the way. You've used GNOME 2 for a while, you are used to it. Unity is new(ish), you're not used to it so it seems to get in the way. But if you take the time to learn how to get around efficiently, you'll probably do as good or better with it than with GNOME 2.

I've used Unity for the past few months. I've only been using Linux for the past 6 months, so there is not all that much to change :-) It comes down to what works best. A good desktop is one you don't need to think about IMO it is almost invisible. What do you folks do who use work spaces or who keep multiple windows open? Do you keep hunting for hidden unity, or do you take it off of auto-hide and have it eat up your desktop real-estate? How many clicks to find those hidden programs? I've used pretty much every Linux desktop now and while Unity is pretty, it is not the most usable. I'm amazed by those who act like there is no difference between Unity and classic gnome or other desktops.
KBD47

dniMretsaM
October 8th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I've used Unity for the past few months. I've only been using Linux for the past 6 months, so there is not all that much to change :smile: It comes down to what works best.

Indeed it does. Use what works best for you. But that doesn't change the fact that Unity CAN be efficient.

A good desktop is one you don't need to think about IMO it is almost invisible.

You want in invisible desktop? Go for the command line. Fast, no nonsense, and it gets the job done.

What do you folks do who use work spaces or who keep multiple windows open? Do you keep hunting for hidden unity, or do you take it off of auto-hide and have it eat up your desktop real-estate? How many clicks to find those hidden programs?

Personally, I don't use my mouse to switch between windows/desktops. So how many clicks? Zero.

I've used pretty much every Linux desktop now and while Unity is pretty, it is not the most usable. I'm amazed by those who act like there is no difference between Unity and classic gnome or other desktops.
KBD47

I'm not saying there is no difference. There is a ton of difference. But that's what makes GNU/Linux amazing, something that fits everyone's preferences.

On a more related note, I'm thinking of asking my parents to give Kubuntu a try after this release. They've seen my setup and hate it because I have it set up "weird." I might see if they'll let me set up a dual boot on their computer and set it up to be as "normal" as possible and see if they like it. Maybe we'll get some more Ubuntu fans!

viperdvman
October 8th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Oh I definitely have Ubuntu fever. I have the Oneric Ocelot fever. I'm just gonna wait til probably Halloween or beginning of November before I put Oneric on my 3rd OS partition alongside Windows and Ubuntu 11.04... mainly just to play around with the better-looking and more streamlined Unity, and GNOME Shell and GNOME-fallback in an Ubuntu environment. That is what I'm excited about.

I too am very used to GNOME 2.x, and it's gonna be hard to pull me away from it. But I don't mind Unity. I can live with it very well. So I'll definitely put 11.10 on my desktop, probably my netbook too if I like it enough.

KBD47
October 8th, 2011, 10:41 PM
On a more related note, I'm thinking of asking my parents to give Kubuntu a try after this release. They've seen my setup and hate it because I have it set up "weird." I might see if they'll let me set up a dual boot on their computer and set it up to be as "normal" as possible and see if they like it. Maybe we'll get some more Ubuntu fans!

My mother is very 'computer challenged' she is 67 and never even learned Windows. I've got her set up with Joli OS and it is working great for her, Linux easier than Windows. You don't hear that very often.
KBD47

metakola
October 9th, 2011, 03:30 PM
I like Unity. It's great for my netbook - the dock and the global menu bar especially - and I haven't had any performance issues with it.

I can see why some people might find it annoying though.

steveneddy
October 9th, 2011, 03:34 PM
It'll be back by 12.04

Thats what I'm waiting on.

Same here - after hacking away at the install in the beginning I have learned that my time IS worth something - so we stay with the LTS.

Currently on 10.04

Have been on Ubuntu since Warthog - so there were a few issues back then.

These development releases are meant to iron out problems - the next LTS should be very nice.

BigSilly
October 9th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I think it could prove to be a shame though if you missed out on a great release, and Oneiric is shaping up well imho. I wouldn't skip it, on early evidence. It's very good so far, for me anyway.

keithpeter
October 9th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Hello All

I tend to risk a beta on a small netbook. Then I decide if I'm changing the other pcs. So less of a 'queue out the door' feeling when the beta is released as production.

Lightstar
October 9th, 2011, 04:45 PM
The new Ubuntu version 11.10 is coming up and there is nothing about it on ubuntu forums, not even ubuntu.com! What is going on?
No development talks, no testing forums... I do get disconnected from the world sometimes because of my work, but I'm always looking forward to the latest release, and this time... nothing, had to do more than just google to find something about the upcoming release, failing at finding a trustworthy source for beta download, not to mention a rc. Either links are dead, or suspicious.
What is going on? Something happened and I'm the only one that don't know a thing?

I'm excited :D

Borunco
October 9th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I started using ubuntu in march of 2011, so i only had a short time with 10.10 before unity came out. At first it was like a total different OS but after a time i learned to work with unity, and i like it a lot to the point that the other versions are foreign to me. I will probably install 11.10 in a back up comp. and play with it for a wild until the initial bugs are worked out, although I didn't have any problems with 11.04 at all, and I have installed it in numerous comp.:guitar:
I say GO ubuntu

Borunco
October 9th, 2011, 05:09 PM
To add to my previous post I see a lot of poster that talk about waiting for the LTS, won't the LTS be based on unity?. I'm asking, i don't know, and if it is. wouldn't you want to be already working with unity so we don't see the same posts about how different unity is.

JUST SAYING!:wink:

BeRoot ReBoot
October 9th, 2011, 05:13 PM
The last few releases have been rather "meh", so my enthusiasm has reduced accordingly. I still test the new release a few weeks before inflicting it on my work PC, but that's about it.

LinuxFan999
October 9th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I am always excited for new Ubuntu releases. I test the alphas and betas in Virtualbox to get a preview of the next release, although installing them natively would make them run a lot better.

BigCityCat
October 9th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Oneiric is awesome. If your using gnome shell. Light dm is really nice as well. Unity still has a long way to go. The panel is hideous and so is the launcher. They need to make the panel re sizable and the launcher should have the option to be resized vertically and detached from the panel.

BigCityCat
October 9th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I know they can't stay with gnome 2, and it is mind-boggling to me that gnome would take a great desktop that many users enjoyed and totally bork it. All that 'alt' junk needs removed on gnome 3 if it is ever going to be user friendly, I just can't get over the 'no shutdown' in the menu of gnome 3. Anyway, I'm hoping that Clem over at Mint can beat gnome 3 into usability, but my hopes are not high. I expect I'll be going to Xubuntu by time lts release rolls around.
KBD47

There is an extension that puts the shut down back in the menu.

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/official-gnome-shell-extensions.html

madjr
October 9th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Oneiric is awesome. If your using gnome shell. Light dm is really nice as well. Unity still has a long way to go. The panel is hideous and so is the launcher. They need to make the panel re sizable and the launcher should have the option to be resized vertically and detached from the panel.

agree with re-sizable or different panel style:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/692921

i think that would also lead to fixing the global menu and even make the launcher more flexible

KBD47
October 9th, 2011, 10:14 PM
To add to my previous post I see a lot of poster that talk about waiting for the LTS, won't the LTS be based on unity?. I'm asking, i don't know, and if it is. wouldn't you want to be already working with unity so we don't see the same posts about how different unity is.

JUST SAYING!:wink:

Actually I pretty jazzed about the next Xubuntu LTS release. I've installed 10.04 on my netbook and it is great. I expect the upgrade to the Xubuntu LTS next Spring will be excellent.
KBD47

danbuter
October 10th, 2011, 03:37 AM
I plan on downloading and installing Xubuntu the first week of release. I really dislike both Unity and Gnome Shell, so I've abandoned regular Ubuntu.

3rdalbum
October 10th, 2011, 05:14 AM
There's never really much excitement for new Ubuntu releases. The people who want shiny new stuff usually upgrade before the first beta anyway. By the time of release day, they're bored with their just-released system and want more shiny new stuff.

There's excitement on the day of release, for sure, among new or cautious users who don't feel up to potentially tackling a system that's changing underneath them.

8_Bit
October 10th, 2011, 06:01 AM
I think people have just realized that in the end, an operating system is just that, an operating system. Not the second coming of _____. As long as the OS does what you need it to do who cares how new it is.

wolfen69
October 10th, 2011, 06:15 AM
I think people have just realized that in the end, an operating system is just that, an operating system. Not the second coming of _____. As long as the OS does what you need it to do who cares how new it is.

You speak the truth. But new doesn't mean bad either.

arashiko28
October 10th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I'm not an IT so I do get somehow scared when I see some bad comments, but related to Ubuntu/Linux, I've learned to jump and IF I find myself in trouble, the good people of this forum takes me out of danger, or... as always warned, backup all my stuff and if it's no workaround, just install something else.
Although I just had to do this once, when I bought my recent laptop, it was released after the beta 2 of Ubuntu 10.04 and there were major compatibility issues, I was forced against my will to suck up vista for 4 long agonizing months! Untill 10.10 came and saved me :D
Changes are good! most of us freaked out when the windows buttons were changed to the left, and even there where codes to change it back to the right, now, when I get a windows computer, I get lost with the buttons, it's just a matter of habits!
I'll be waiting with my blank CD and :popcorn:!

Frogs Hair
October 10th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Not being a Ubuntu user for very long , the most excitement I have noticed about a new release was when 10.04 was released . although 11.04 / Unity got a lot of attention much of it was negative . It Could be that it is just a transition period . With Unity replacing Gnome 2.xx and Gnome 3 replacing Gnome 2.xx it could be that a wait and see attitude is prevailing .

IWantFroyo
October 10th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Not being a Ubuntu user for very long , the most excitement I have noticed about a new release was when 10.04 was released . although 11.04 / Unity got a lot of attention much of it was negative . It Could be that it is just a transition period . With Unity replacing Gnome 2.xx and Gnome 3 replacing Gnome 2.xx it could be that a wait and see attitude is prevailing .

When 10.04 was released, I wasn't a very enthusiastic computer user. My reaction was, "Oh. An update."
The first time I sort of felt some excitement was with Maverick. I wasn't a part of this community yet, so I didn't get the news, but I stumbled onto the Ubuntu website, and realized it looked different.

KBD47
October 10th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I wonder how many people will stop distro hopping and settle in when 12.04 is released as a long term support release?
kbd47

dniMretsaM
October 10th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I wonder how many people will stop distro hopping and settle in when 12.04 is released as a long term support release?
kbd47

I would guess a lot. The number will probably shrink when 11.10 comes out as well. I've been hearing really good reports on the new Unity interface.

forrestcupp
October 10th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Remember a few years ago when everyone organized big release parties all over the world when the new Ubuntu releases came out? It was almost like a holiday twice a year.

It definitely doesn't seem to be like that anymore at all.

forrestcupp
October 10th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Sorry! Right after I posted this thread, I saw "What happened to the Ubuntu fever?"

You can merge this or lock it if you want. Sorry.

sffvba[e0rt
October 10th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Merged...

madjr
October 10th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Remember a few years ago when everyone organized big release parties all over the world when the new Ubuntu releases came out? It was almost like a holiday twice a year.

dont care about hyped half-baked beta releases anymore.

better release process (http://netsplit.com/2011/09/08/new-ubuntu-release-process/) and polish please!

is that too much to ask for the future?

KiwiNZ
October 10th, 2011, 09:15 PM
What happened to the ubuntu fever?

It took two Aspirin and the fever subsided

fontis
October 10th, 2011, 09:18 PM
People are hesitant to get too excited since last time people did, they were **** on with Unity. :P

Better to wait and see. I just hope it has proper Gnome3 support and less fubar unity. But then again, 11.04 made me switch back to Kubuntu.

Claus7
October 10th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Hello,

I think that it is there, all around us, and it has settled a little. And I'm explaining myself:

Since the early days we have matured. We are going to settle to the version we are using and had spent so much time polishing and we expect every single bug to be polished and return to us a super stable and secure and powerful and eye-candy (why not?) and enjoyable environment to work with.

All these years, ubuntu was under heavy development in order to produce a final OS that would cover most of the users' needs. I think that with maverick this level was reached more or less. People now are expecting to harness the power and all this knowledge accumulated over time both from ubuntu staff as well as the community.

Also there is a fact that those taking a little time more on this forum, to see, that the active users almost doubled the last 4 or so months. People are active, they enjoy the experience, they keep having different opinions and in the end they contribute to this nice open source product.

I'm visiting the forums not because I'm craving to see something new as used to doing in the early days, yet so as to be able to reach my system to higher limits, without changing entirely my configurations. My bugs are getting limited, I do not want to start all over again, I have a really nice environment accompanied by compatibility.

People say that ubuntu is a version of Linux that heads always to top notch new ideas and implementation of the latest configurations. I do agree, yet, it is also linux, where stability is an issue. So, I think that fever is shifting: from latest and greatest -> to stable fully operational and bug free version.

I do care that: everything is functioning, I have security (this is an issue that I haven't seen that has ceased to exist and luckily still follows all the ubuntu versions up to now), it is eye candy without eating half of my resources, it boots in no time, sound and audio is not a hard time to configure, can work applications and software that other OS use (e.g. amsn), not worry about viruses, my environment works smoothly, harness my beautiful box and advertise ubuntu to my friends without coming across bugs of new versions.

It is easier to create a new product, but it is difficult to reach it to perfection. I think that this fever, among the community, will never cease.

Regards!

MG&TL
October 10th, 2011, 09:37 PM
I have to say, every day's:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

gets me excited. They changed to logout icon four times in two weeks once. :)

So I get ubuntu fever everyday. 'tis good. I shall be getting the earliest releases from 12.04, too.

KBD47
October 10th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Claus7 said:
So, I think that fever is shifting: from latest and greatest -> to stable fully operational and bug free version.
[end quote]

+1 to that. Love the eye candy, fun to play with new distros, but at the end of the day just want a working OS without bugs and easy to use.
KBD47

dniMretsaM
October 10th, 2011, 09:57 PM

Some of the Ohio LoCo members are planning smaller release parties/installfests. Some of us wanted a larger one somewhere central, but we didn't start talking about it until like 4 days ago, so it was to short notice to organize anything big. I think we might have at least a fairly large one for Pangolin.

fontis
October 10th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I have to say, every day's:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

gets me excited. They changed to logout icon four times in two weeks once. :)

So I get ubuntu fever everyday. 'tis good. I shall be getting the earliest releases from 12.04, too.

thought you had to do -d to get development stuff :P

madjr
October 11th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Claus7 said:
So, I think that fever is shifting: from latest and greatest -> to stable fully operational and bug free version.
[end quote]

+1 to that. Love the eye candy, fun to play with new distros, but at the end of the day just want a working OS without bugs and easy to use.
KBD47

exactly.

however i like the opensuse model of beta_pizza_parties to test and report problems (or even solve them) for the longer beta periods

http://en.opensuse.org/images/thumb/3/3e/Beta_pizza_party_istanbul.jpg/212px-Beta_pizza_party_istanbul.jpg

http://news.opensuse.org/2011/09/30/opensuse-pizza-parties-the-geeko-way/
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:BetaPizzaParty

Also Opensuse has a better dev cycle: 8 months (2 extra months for bug fixing and polish), and they waste less time supporting too many releases (just 3 in 24 months), while ubuntu needs to support/waste-resources on 4 releases in 24 months...

IMO things would be much better if ubuntu only developed 3 or 2 releases in 24 months

sffvba[e0rt
October 11th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Also Opensuse has a better dev cycle: 8 months (2 extra months for bug fixing and polish), and they waste less time supporting too many releases (just 3 in 24 months), while ubuntu needs to support/waste-resources on 4 releases in 24 months...

IMO things would be much better if ubuntu only developed 3 or 2 releases in 24 months

Cool, pizza is good. However I can't agree with your reasoning here... because if this is true it means Debian has a way-way better dev cycle than both openSUSE and Ubuntu...

MG&TL
October 11th, 2011, 07:42 PM
thought you had to do -d to get development stuff :P

Well, I thought so too, but I just tried it without -d and it downloaded a lot of stuff, so I guess you don't. IDK.

Usually I do. Did check the manual entry, no mention of -d.

EDIT: It would seem -d is download-only. So I think you're just downloading stuff, not installing...?

weasel fierce
October 11th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Nowadays, my computer just works. So a new version is not all that exciting anymore, because everything already works great for me :)

madjr
October 11th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Cool, pizza is good. However I can't agree with your reasoning here... because if this is true it means Debian has a way-way better dev cycle than both openSUSE and Ubuntu...

it could be, it all depends how it is handled and to whom is targeted to, however, with the current ubuntu dev cycle, the way it is now is clashing in many ways (http://netsplit.com/2011/09/08/new-ubuntu-release-process/), so they need to solve that with a better process and/or combination of a longer cycle (which many of the comments in that article also suggest).

speedwell68
October 11th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I for one am pretty excited about 11.10, probably the first time I have been truly excited about an OS launch since MSDOS 5.

When I first used Unity in 11.04 I hated it, but I realised that was probably because it was completely alien to me. So I went to Xubuntu in the mainstream and toyed with Unity on the side until I became competent with it. Now I am using Unity full time and Xubuntu is a distant memory,

robsoles
October 11th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Forgive my 2 cents if you can: I gave Unity 30 minutes to make me want to use it fairly early in Ubuntu's adoption of it as a primary interface and hated it so much that I simply avoid it like the plague and can't see any argument that anybody can make that will make me make any more effort toward it.

The first time Ubuntu installed with Unity as it's default interface I stopped being excited about new releases.

If somebody is new and hasn't spent something like 30 years using similar
menu and window systems that Apple introduced in the early Macintoshs then I expect they might quickly and easily grow to love Unity but....

I've been interested in the manipulation and presentation of cyber crap for over 30 years - I got to the "bottom" of Unity (I found the last of the items I prefer to be able to find in the menu(s) of my OS) and quickly (easily) made the decision that it is an ugly and convoluted way to try to work by comparison to pretty much anybody else's blasted GUI, from any other type of OS, let alone just staying amongst Linux distros.

Summary: Yep, I don't like Unity; I said I don't like Unity, I didn't say whether or not you should; I said what I don't like about Unity, I didn't just say that it is rubbish and I certainly haven't commented on the mentality, intelligence nor competence of anybody who chooses to use it.

@"Unity Fanboys": Please review the Summary carefully before coming for me with your torches and pitchforks, thanks.

madjr
October 11th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Forgive my 2 cents if you can: I gave Unity 30 minutes to make me want to use it fairly early in Ubuntu's adoption of it as a primary interface and hated it so much that I simply avoid it like the plague and can't see any argument that anybody can make that will make me make any more effort toward it.

The first time Ubuntu installed with Unity as it's default interface I stopped being excited about new releases.

menu and window systems that Apple introduced in the early Macintoshs then I expect they might quickly and easily grow to love Unity but....

I've been interested in the manipulation and presentation of cyber crap for over 30 years - I got to the "bottom" of Unity (I found the last of the items I prefer to be able to find in the menu(s) of my OS) and quickly (easily) made the decision that it is an ugly and convoluted way to try to work by comparison to pretty much anybody else's blasted GUI, from any other type of OS, let alone just staying amongst Linux distros.

Summary: Yep, I don't like Unity; I said I don't like Unity, I didn't say whether or not you should; I said what I don't like about Unity, I didn't just say that it is rubbish and I certainly haven't commented on the mentality, intelligence nor competence of anybody who chooses to use it.

@"Unity Fanboys": Please review the Summary carefully before coming for me with your torches and pitchforks, thanks.

again you're entitled to dislike unity and not use it, but you cant complain unless you have at least reported (or found reports) of your issues with it, since it's still in development.

sffvba[e0rt
October 11th, 2011, 11:51 PM

Just because I like Unity does not make me a fanboy (as does your not liking Unity not make you a hater).

As to your statements above. I have used computers for a little while now. I have used several interfaces. I still like Unity.

It is not my intention to make you like Unity.

As for not passing judgement on the "mentality, intelligence nor competence of anybody who chooses to use it" I think you pretty much have with statements like "If somebody is new and hasn't spent something like 30 years using similar menu and window systems that Apple introduced in the early Macintoshs then I expect they might quickly and easily grow to love Unity but...." and "Unity Fanboys".

robsoles
October 12th, 2011, 12:21 AM

As for not passing judgement on the ...

I nearly wrote "Actually; If you can operate as proficiently in Unity as you would in any other GUI, that you took the time to gain experience in, then you are probably a lot more intelligent and competent about computers than I am." but I decided that it needn't necessarily be true but: If my post had included that would that have been enough to avoid your judgement mate?

Unity isn't for me, I said why before; If Unity is for you then bully for you and bully for the people bringing you Unity! - Is that acceptable?

I've avoided commenting on Unity for months due to how venomous some of its defenders have been against people who I felt just stated their objections about it without even implying as much I did by their objections.

You needn't close this thread to avoid my next post - I will PM anybody else who makes me feel like replying to this thread again.

sffvba[e0rt
October 12th, 2011, 01:03 AM
... enough to avoid your judgement mate?

The only judgement I passed must have been pointing out how you had also already passed judgement even though you denied it.

Unity isn't for me, I said why before; If Unity is for you then bully for you and bully for the people bringing you Unity! - Is that acceptable?

I am more than fine with the fact that you are unhappy with Unity. You and every one else are entitled to your opinions. I am sure this is also acceptable.

You needn't close this thread to avoid my next post - I will PM anybody else who makes me feel like replying to this thread again.

I am not sure why you would feel that this thread needs closing. The topic is valid from the perspective of those in the community that feel that some of the gusto has been missing in the recent release.

This conversation is perhaps off-topic and as such should be moved. I am sure we can continue it in the Recurring section where there are several dozens that follow the same basic gist...

Eberbachl
October 13th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Whilst I was skeptical at first, I now love Unity on 11.04 and I'm pumped about the release of 11.10.

I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on it.

:D

I've really missed the fanfare, and associated countdown timers as there have been with previous releases.

arashiko28
October 16th, 2011, 03:27 AM
Wow, never thought this would turn into a battlefield!

Well, I already installed it and I LOVE IT!!!! Whether it's unity or gnome 3, I simply love it!!!

True that still needs a bit of work and polish but that's the good thing, something to tweek! And if I mess it up completely, I just logout and start with gnome 3 and fix it! Or at least look for a work around...

Bottom line...:guitar:

steveneddy
January 29th, 2013, 02:24 AM
Just installed 12.04 - getting used to the new GUI.

Who around here remembers 5.04?

overdrank
January 29th, 2013, 02:27 AM
Back to sleep thread