PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Changing from 11.04 to server editions quesitons

jeunited
October 7th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Hello Everyone,

I've had a couple issues with the 11.04 upgrade (shows couple errors on start-up, doesn't recognize monitor setting files, and no icons or anything show up on my main dashboard...so a bit hard to navigate) and would like to start over with this computer and use the ubuntu server edition.

I am curious how I would go about installing the server edition. Should I take off the 11.04 and do a clean install? If so, I'm not really sure how to do that since all the documentation I have found on doing so is walked through by using navigation menus and icons, which I cannot see on my computer.

Current computer is set up with an intel motherboard/processor, 4GB ram, 2 500GB hard disks that are currently set to RAID1, if that helps at all. Not sure if it does.

I really appreciate the help.

snowpine
October 7th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Welcome to the forums!

I recommend the Ubuntu Server Guide as a "must read":

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/index.html

Unless you have a specific need for 11.04 then I recommend 10.04 as it is the "long term support" release with support through 2015.

jeunited
October 7th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, snowpine and thanks for the quick reply.

I actually read about 30-40% of that Ubuntu Server Guide yesterday and plan on finishing it over today and the weekend.

My main worries is that I'm not sure what to do with the current install. For example, with the dashboard and everything now showing up on my 11.04 edition, I'm not sure where to start with taking that off and going along with the server installation or if I just boot up with the CD for the server edition and leave everything as is, would it overwrite the existing version and pretty much be a fresh start?

nothingspecial
October 7th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Yep, you do not need to remove your previous install, just install the new one over the top.

snowpine
October 7th, 2011, 07:11 PM
The Server Guide assumes that you are performing a fresh install (in your case, wiping and replacing your current Desktop install).

If you already have a working Ubuntu install then it is definitely possible to install server apps (LAMP stack etc) without reinstalling the Server edition.

Can you tell us more about your needs/intentions for this system?