PDA

View Full Version : How do you see Apple in post Steve Jobs time..?

asifnaz
October 7th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Despite of some idealogical difference I think Steve's death

is a great loss to IT . He was a genius and visionary . Even ubuntu/Linux was not the same as now if there was no Steve jobs .

When Steve left Apple in 90s it was slowly dying . Steve brought it back to life .

My question is How do you see Apple will perform in post Steve time..

BrokenKingpin
October 7th, 2011, 03:33 PM
I personally do not like Apple one bit, but I did respect Steve Jobs and his impact on the industry. It is very sad he died at such a young age.

I think Apple has enough of a following now that they will continue on just fine.

PuddingKnife
October 7th, 2011, 03:40 PM
It's something I wonder about. I have never really been a fan of their 'walled garden' approach, but Apple, through Jobs, has brought nearly every meaningful innovation in computing in the last 3 decades. The great thing about their products, form and function, was 99% Jobs. They have an interesting road ahead..

galacticaboy
October 7th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I think they will do just fine, Steve has drilled this stuff into our heads so we won't let Apple forget it any time soon. We have pretty much come to expect "perfection" from Apple and the Fans wont let them forget it.

LowSky
October 7th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I think they will do just fine, Steve has drilled this stuff into our heads so we won't let Apple forget it any time soon. We have pretty much come to expect "perfection" from Apple and the Fans wont let them forget it.

Na I give it 3 years then the stock will tank. iTunes will keep the company afloat for maybe 10. But as we saw with the new iPhone without the man in the black mock turtleneck the company won't be as innovative because the man with the whip is gone.

TheNosh
October 7th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I personally do not like Apple one bit, but I did respect Steve Jobs and his impact on the industry. It is very sad he died at such a young age.

I think Apple has enough of a following now that they will continue on just fine.

It's not about whether they continue to make money. It's about whether they continue to develop as innovative technology.

Steve laid out plans for Apple's direction for the next four years or so. I'll be interested to see what happens after that. Hopefully, Cook is up to the job.

Roasted
October 7th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Na I give it 3 years then the stock will tank. iTunes will keep the company afloat for maybe 10. But as we saw with the new iPhone without the man in the black mock turtleneck the company won't be as innovative because the man with the whip is gone.

Interesting point.

I'm not sure which side I would bet a dollar on. I'm willing to bet that they might begin to slowly dwindle over time but I'm not convinced they'll disappear. They've had enough of an impact that I think they would continue on rather well. But Apple's year-after-year increase of sales and whatnot... I'm not so sure of... I just don't see it climbing like it did. But that's just a rough opinion too...

del_diablo
October 7th, 2011, 05:48 PM

Thats pretty much dodging the question.
Sure, even if the people replacing Jobs is horrible at their job the Apple brand will stay strong for a long time.

However, the question the OP was asking is really:
Will Apple become just another IT company, or will it stay as a company who takes things and innovates them via doing them properly?

Tablets, smartphones with touchscreens, portable netbooks and a lot more has been around for decades, but for some odd reason nobody sat down and a did a proper job at them, and then markeded them and then sold them for a proper price.
If Apple stays the same, they will find something else that nobody has done a proper job on before, and sell it, and it will catch on, a bit like the iPad.
If Apple changes for the worse, they will be just like HP or Lenevo, but with a bit more shiny materials and OS X.

Lucradia
October 7th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Apple will be exactly the same as it has been the past several years. A patent troll, always having the most expensive hardware, but the least expensive software.

The new Apple board / committee had said after Jobs had all these issues... (before he died) that they would be continuing their mindset.

Lenovo has actual quality (tough-built) products in comparison to other companies (IE: Gateway.) Speaking of horrible computer publishers... Acer, Gateway, eMachines are still the worst on my list. Right below them: Toshiba. Below that, Samsung.

Now, I agree, HP is no good at computer making to be honest. But they make epic printing / scanning systems. I have an old HP M1522nf next to me, and it still works, still scans, still copies, still can hook up to a network (and scan through it, even on linux) but for linux to use all of its functions, it needs to download all the propietary drivers, as the M1522nf still requires them.

forrestcupp
October 7th, 2011, 06:05 PM
While I greatly respect Steve Jobs, he was mainly just the mouthpiece and visionary for the company. It's not like he was the one who invented and designed every device and bit of software they came out with.

There are plenty of other talented engineers, architects, businessmen, visionaries, and mouthpieces in that company. They will be exactly the same as they always have, only with a new face, and maybe even see some positive results from people's sympathy.

Lucradia
October 7th, 2011, 06:09 PM
...and maybe even see some positive results from people's sympathy.

That'sssssssss sssssssome niccccce optimissssssm you have there. It'd be a ssssssshame if ssssssomething were to--

Yeah well, we can only hope.

sylar petrelli
October 7th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I think Apple will be just fine. I have heard he planned out ideas all the way 2015. However, it's not like he is the only person at Apple that is capable of thinking up new products.

Like another person said, most of the products that are churned out by Apple were not invented by Steve Jobs, they were thought up by product development and engineering departments within Apple.

Steve Jobs was an incredibly talented person, but recently he has became more of a figurehead like Stan Lee is to Marvel Comics.

KiwiNZ
October 7th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Did IBM die post Flint and Watson?
Did Boeing die post William Boeing?
Ford post Henry Ford?

Apple will survive, they may will change and will need to any company that does not evolve will perish. Apple has the Team in place, the cash reserves, the template and mantra for success.

dpny
October 7th, 2011, 08:25 PM
While I greatly respect Steve Jobs, he was mainly just the mouthpiece and visionary for the company. It's not like he was the one who invented and designed every device and bit of software they came out with.

Radical misunderstanding of Jobs' role. He said, more than once, his job was to design an organization such that the corporation didn't get in the way of those talented people doing their jobs. That's what he was better at than any other CEO out there.

I think Apple will be fine for the foreseeable future. Jobs wasn't in denial that he was sick, and he set up a program (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/10/06/apple_university_revealed_as_plan_to_teach_executi ves_to_think_like_steve_jobs.html) to codify the way Apple works to make sure it can be passed on. If you read around you will see he had a lot of respect for the "HP Way" which was successful at HP for so long, although some of you may be too young to remember when HP was something other than another Windows vendor.

I also think it's interesting that some people refer to Apple "fans" rather than "customers". Bias like that is one of the reasons no other company can replicate Apple's success.

edit: Apple doesn't make much money on iTunes.

el_koraco
October 7th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I also think it's interesting that some people refer to Apple "fans" rather than "customers". Bias like that is one of the reasons no other company can replicate Apple's success.

That's because of all those fanbois who trawl the internet looking for an opportunity to mention they have a Macbook. Us regular Linux users get a bad rep because of our own fanbois who do the same.

KiwiNZ
October 7th, 2011, 08:58 PM
That's because of all those fanbois who trawl the internet looking for an opportunity to mention they have a Macbook. Us regular Linux users get a bad rep because of our own fanbois who do the same.

Here if one just mentions you like a MacBook you are labelled an Apple fanboy:roll:

earthpigg
October 7th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Is the corporate culture at Apple at risk of elevating him to an unnatural status and following his advice even when the modern reality has shifted significantly?

IE: Instead of interpreting his guidance and whatnot as applicable to when he said it and the circumstances faced at that time, it is interpreted as being applicable for all time?

el_koraco
October 7th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Here if one just mentions you like a MacBook you are labelled an Apple fanboy:roll:

Yeah, stuff is pretty heated around here. But the forum generally has a bad juju.

Guitar John
October 7th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I think they will do ok. Steve Jobs was not the only smart guy working at Apple.

dpny
October 7th, 2011, 09:22 PM
That's because of all those fanbois. . ,.

All those fanbois? Where's your data?

I"m actually not disagreeing with you. I'm just annoyed by lazy language/thinking. Are there annoying Mac users? Sure, but there are also annoying Linux users, annoying Porsche owners, annoying Yankees fans, and on and on.

I'm also trying to make a larger point, which is saying that Apple has fans rather than customers makes it difficult to have rational conversations, in the same way naming Linux users as fans would. It reduces a large group of people to a simple stereotype.

dpny
October 7th, 2011, 09:23 PM
IIE: Instead of interpreting his guidance and whatnot as applicable to when he said it and the circumstances faced at that time, it is interpreted as being applicable for all time?

Are you saying I should take down my Steve Shrine?

el_koraco
October 7th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I'm just annoyed by lazy language/thinking.

I think you misunderstood me, or misinterpreted what I wrote. Mac users are generally nice folk, but they get a bad rep because of all the fanboys. The same goes for Linux users. No need to get offensive, just ask what I meant if I wasn't clear enough.

dpny
October 7th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I think you misunderstood me, or misinterpreted what I wrote. Mac users are generally nice folk, but they get a bad rep because of all the fanboys. The same goes for Linux users. No need to get offensive, just ask what I meant if I wasn't clear enough.

Sorry: I wasn't clear. I didn't mean to single you out. I get annoyed at that stuff in general.

KingYaba
October 7th, 2011, 11:54 PM
I hope they go away from the thinner is better mentality and start making Macs with proper video cards. How about a Mac mid tower? :p

Mikeb85
October 8th, 2011, 12:04 AM
I currently make a living trading stocks, and I see Apple going the same way after his death as I did before his death. They'll decline, and be a marginal force in computing 5-10 years from now.

Charging a huge premium for products built in cheap Asian warehouses is not a sustainable business practice. Not to mention, by walling themselves in as they have, they alienate business partners (Samsung for example, who used to make much of the technology that goes into their phones, and is the reason the iPhone 5 wasn't unveiled recently), and consumers (another example, a dumb USB stick plays music in my car better than an iPod or iPhone).

Apple is in vogue at the moment, but as consumers are presented with cheaper, more powerful and more functional options, they'll drift away from the Apple cult.

I mean no disrespect for Steve Jobs BTW, may he rest in peace (or at least have a favourable reincarnation).

el_koraco
October 8th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Sorry: I wasn't clear. I didn't mean to single you out. I get annoyed at that stuff in general.

OK, so we had a double misunderstanding. There's a neat proverb for that in my language, but it's NSFW, and it gets lost in translation a little.

Touching on the Apple fan vs user thing, there is something to it, and it's not coincidental. . Apple has always marketed their line as more than just devices. It's a whole lifestyle-exclusivity thing, like entering a new, privileged world once you buy an Apple machine (that obviously goes more for the MBs and the like than iDevices). A pragmatist such as yourself doesn't feel above the fray for buying a Macbook or whatever, but a lot of people tie their personalities with possessions. It's similar to the elation a lot of users feel when entering the Linux community, but the lure of the Apple community is further enhanced by the fact that not everybody gets to join (I mean, that used to be true for Linux as well, only then it wasn't a matter of the most expensive hardware, but one that doesn't melt down on first boot). Of course, with Apple there's the stores, the technical support, all that jazz.

I think studies have also shown that users of Apple devices have a stronger brand identity than with the competition. Personally, most of the Apple users I know have a kindred relationship to their computers, while "PC" users may like their GPU or something, but don't really "love" their computers in any comparable way. Jobs was always good at combining quality products with great marketing, and always made the right choices, which Apple's constantly rising profits show.

forrestcupp
October 8th, 2011, 02:39 AM

Here if one just mentions you like a MacBook you are labelled an Apple fanboy:roll:Honestly, I've never met an Apple customer who is not a fanboy. Apple customers are some of the most loyal and technically opinionated people out there. And I don't really think there's anything wrong with that. They are a small, specialized community that spent a lot of hard earned money on great devices that they are proud of.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I just choose not to be a part of that community. The only time it becomes annoying is when people try to force things on me. It's equally annoying with Linux and FOSS people.

ninjaaron
October 8th, 2011, 02:53 AM
I think Apple will continue to be a successful and solid company for many years to come. Whether or not they will be a leader in innovation remains to be seen, but they do have some very good people working there. I doubt they have another Jobs. There aren't many like him, but there are plenty of people out there who can sustain an already-successful company.

Even I, who pick on you sometimes for your apparent devotion to Apple (and subsequently get my butt kicked), was recently called, I quote "an Apple fanboy of Apple design." for suggesting that Apple was the clear industry leader in product and interface design. I was called this because I had already stated that I do not buy Apple products on ideological grounds, so I couldn't quite be a regular fanboy, but I can still be an 'Apple fanboy of Apple design.'

danbuter
October 8th, 2011, 03:23 AM
I think a lot will depend on who wins the upcoming in-corporate war for influence. If your typical MBA who knows nothing about computers comes out on top, Apple will be in trouble. Microsoft is currently facing this problem.

Gawains Green Knight
October 8th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Its interesting how everything apple comes up with is obvious after they've come up with it... I hope that continues after Jobs.

ubuntoy
October 8th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Apple is just another company, they get rich, you dont.

Maybe Microsoft, Samsung, LG, HP or Google will buy a share on it?

davidvandoren
October 8th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Apple has a win margin of up to 70% on its products.

Even if they produced the Iphone in the US they could have profits of up to 40%.
Compare this to an acer laptop for example. The acer laptop has a win margin of about 3% and I did not miss a zero. 3%.

First of all they could discount for the next decade and still make more profit then any other product in the market.

Secondly; They will most likely lose their guru status and become one of the competitions hopefully.

dpny
October 8th, 2011, 04:44 AM
A pragmatist such as yourself doesn't feel above the fray for buying a Macbook or whatever, but a lot of people tie their personalities with possessions. It's similar to the elation a lot of users feel when entering the Linux community, but the lure of the Apple community is further enhanced by the fact that not everybody gets to join (I mean, that used to be true for Linux as well, only then it wasn't a matter of the most expensive hardware, but one that doesn't melt down on first boot). Of course, with Apple there's the stores, the technical support, all that jazz.

I'd say it's even deeper than that. We form relationships with our objects. Ask any serious cyclist about his or her bike and you will get an amazingly detailed response. As a car nut about his car, a musician about their instrument, and so forth. It seems to be something that we, as a species, so. We like to imbue out tools with personality.

krapp
October 8th, 2011, 04:48 AM
I don't think Apple has needed Jobs for the last few years. The company's trajectory has been clear since the release of the first iPhone: devising ways to control your consumption. iTunes and the so-called AppStore have a far greater potential for profit than the old computer business model where consumers spend a couple thousand dollars every 4-6 years.

alexan
October 8th, 2011, 06:43 AM
India government is planning to switch from expensive paper books to cheap tablet

*snip*

Apple didn't invent tablet, the pc tablet were already there in smartphone market bloom.
Apple made it a fashion tool for rich fanbois.

Due the right acknowledgment to such policy like India government and the fallacy to those who plans only (virtual) money to get out from innovation.

Pynalysis
October 8th, 2011, 07:00 AM
More dirty software licenses...

prettysum
October 8th, 2011, 07:29 AM
"Why join the navy when you can be a pirate?" -Steve Jobs

Personally, apple's been great when during Steve Jobs. I don't even think they'd be this successful without him.

el_koraco
October 8th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I'd say it's even deeper than that. We form relationships with our objects.

Ok, you can put it like that. As far as relationships go, the average "PC" user usually thinks of his computer as a hammer or something, gamers probably think of their computers as machine guns or bazookas, Linux users tend to treat the computer as a horse and their favorite distro as a girlfriend or religious object, and Mac users think of both the computer and OSX as a piece of art or something.

snip3r8
October 8th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Sigh,all these Steve Jobs threads head in the same direction and it brings up the ugly side in the community

dpny
October 8th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Ok, you can put it like that. As far as relationships go, the average "PC" user usually thinks of his computer as a hammer or something, gamers probably think of their computers as machine guns or bazookas, Linux users tend to treat the computer as a horse and their favorite distro as a girlfriend or religious object, and Mac users think of both the computer and OSX as a piece of art or something.

Probably frighteningly accurate.

del_diablo
October 8th, 2011, 03:26 PM

Even if they produced the Iphone in the US they could have profits of up to 40%.
Compare this to an acer laptop for example. The acer laptop has a win margin of about 3% and I did not miss a zero. 3%.

First of all they could discount for the next decade and still make more profit then any other product in the market.

Secondly; They will most likely lose their guru status and become one of the competitions hopefully.

What models wwas compared?

davidvandoren
May 10th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by davidvandoren http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11320850#post11320850)

What models wwas compared?

This might come a little late but here you have the answer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-U7ZpowOx0