PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite kind of Apples?

HappinessNow
October 7th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I like Honey Crisp and Braeburn

LowSky
October 7th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Whatever get made into cider.

catlover2
October 7th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Fuji and Golden Delicious, other that that a Mac Pro comes to mind.

MG&TL
October 7th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Fuji and Golden Delicious, other that that a Mac Pro comes to mind.

Knew the Apple crack would get in there somehow. ;)

Golden delicious.

Ichtyandr
October 7th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Granny Smith

Lucradia
October 7th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Whatever get made into cider.

This, or juice.

HappinessNow
October 7th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Whatever get made into cider.Usually Honey Crisp are used but any variety could be used.

dh04000
October 7th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Granny Smith, and this hybrid made near me. Its a tiny apple (few ounces) that is so dark red that it is more PURPLE than anything, with a shiny/glossy skin. It is extremely tart and sour, almost painful so, and it is the most crispy and crunchy apple I've ever tasted. I can't get enough of those things!

The hybrid I'm talking about is not officially named. The orchard made it themselves, and unfortunately, its a sterile plant. They have to make cuttings to propagate it.

BrokenKingpin
October 7th, 2011, 03:37 PM
The green ones... not sure of the proper name for them though.

Ric_NYC
October 7th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Pears are my favorite kind of apple.

LowSky
October 7th, 2011, 04:00 PM
The green ones... not sure of the proper name for them though.
Granny Smith

Pears are my favorite kind of apple.
Pears are bland, cheap, and used as filler in many bottled juices, like grape, cranberry and everything Juicy Juice sells. Oh and not Apples.

ubupirate
October 7th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Another thread orientated around Steve Jobs?

Ric_NYC
October 7th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Granny Smith

Pears are bland, cheap, and used as filler in many bottled juices, like grape, cranberry and everything Juicy Juice sells. Oh and not Apples.

NOOOOOOOOO.... they are juicy and delicious... Apples are bland and dry.

MindSz
October 7th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Fuji FTW!

Erik1984
October 7th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Granny Smith

This

keithpeter
October 7th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Hello All

Cox's Orange Pippin. Matt golden brown skin, yellowish flesh, distinct taste of orange along with the appleness. Available from farmer's markets in many areas of the UK.

I'm also partial to a cooking apple (bramley) with a strong Cheddar cheese and some warm bread. And a pint.

cheers

CharlesA
October 7th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Does Hard Apple Cider count? :D

forrestcupp
October 7th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Gala are my favorite. They're crisp and sweet. After that, maybe Red Delicious, but they don't have enough flavor. Fuji is one of my least favorites.

Granny Smith
That's one kind of green apple, but not the best, in my opinion. Granny Smiths are good for cooking, but not really for eating raw. My favorite yellow/green apple is Golden Delicious. They are very good.

CharlesA
October 7th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Gala are my favorite. They're crisp and sweet.

Yep those would probably be my favorite if I'm just going to eat an apple.

Granny Smiths are good for cooking, but not really for eating raw.

Yep. They are awesome in apple pie though. ;)

Elfy
October 7th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Usually Honey Crisp are used but any variety could be used.Really? http://www.ciderappletrees.co.uk/cidervarieties.php
;)

Hello All

Cox's Orange Pippin. Matt golden brown skin, yellowish flesh, distinct taste of orange along with the appleness. Available from farmer's markets in many areas of the UK.

I'm also partial to a cooking apple (bramley) with a strong Cheddar cheese and some warm bread. And a pint.

cheersI'd go along with the Pippin - not so sure about the Bramley though - the accompaniments sound fine however.

PhilGil
October 7th, 2011, 07:29 PM
It's funny that I stumbled across this thread while eating a Jonagold (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonagold) apple. It's not a bad variety; sweet-tart flavor and a light, crispy texture.

My favorite variety, though is the Pink Lady. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_lady_apple)

KiwiNZ
October 7th, 2011, 07:35 PM
As long as it's not a rotten apple.

MG&TL
October 7th, 2011, 08:35 PM
As long as it's not a rotten apple.

Bad apple. ;)

I'm not so keen in pies, I prefer baked in a dish, then drizzled with sugar.

ilovelinux33467
October 7th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Granny Smith

This. Definitely my favourite.

johnnybgoode83
October 7th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Royal Gala for me

oldos2er
October 7th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Red Delicious.

CharlesA
October 7th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I'm not so keen in pies, I prefer baked in a dish, then drizzled with sugar.

Glazed apples?

MG&TL
October 7th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Not really. Sugar after they've been baked, immediately before serving.

Peel, boil, then fork until soft. Bake until slightly crisp.

Serve drizzled with sugar. Try it, it's not as bad as it sounds.

CharlesA
October 7th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Not really. Sugar after they've been baked, immediately before serving.

Peel, boil, then fork until soft. Bake until slightly crisp.

Serve drizzled with sugar. Try it, it's not as bad as it sounds.

That sounds so good. ;)

LinuxFan999
October 7th, 2011, 11:18 PM
I like all kinds of apples.

IWantFroyo
October 7th, 2011, 11:19 PM
I'm a Fuji type of person. I also like Macintosh Apples ;). I'm not kidding. I think that's how you spell it.

otetiani
October 7th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I used to be a Macintosh apple person myself, but in the last few years prefer the Gala, a hybrid Mac I believe, since it stays crisp longer.

Honey Crisp are great for apple crisp and pies though.

Linuxratty
October 7th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I like Honey Crisp and Braeburn

Never tried honey crisp..They sound wonderful.

I like Fuji,Granny Smith, and the nameless apples that come from the mountains of North Carolina.

Pujims
October 9th, 2011, 01:25 AM
I like Gala apples to snack on. If I am baking apples I use granny smith mixed with golden delicious. We grow all sorts of apples in Michigan and the cider mills are great this time of year.

MooPi
October 9th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Honey Crisp and Fuji. I have an orchard near me the grows some awesome Honey Crisp that I will be able to buy for a could more weeks until they shutter for the season.

HappinessNow
October 10th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Does Hard Apple Cider count? :D

Mike's Hard Apple Cider is quite nice, they make a Honey Crisp version which is my favorite

DoubleClicker
October 10th, 2011, 06:30 AM
I've favored Macintosh since 1984.

bouncingwilf
October 10th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Spoiled for choice here - this place is just up the road http://www.brogdalecollections.co.uk/

Personally, it's a Worcester Permain or Russett for me.

Bouncingwilf

CharlesA
October 11th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Mike's Hard Apple Cider is quite nice, they make a Honey Crisp version which is my favorite
That sounds good... :)

pathos_society
October 11th, 2011, 03:36 PM
It's really, really hard to find a good cider in the US. As opposed to the UK, where cider is absolutely everywhere in so many different varieties I couldn't try them all during the month I was there. Most pubs serve the requisite Strongbow, which is good but not the best. Stowford's and Thatcher's are both good secondary ciders that pubs serve either instead of or alongside Strongbow. If you're lucky, though, you'll find a pub that serves local, microbrewed keg ciders, some of which are absolutely amazing.

CharlesA
October 11th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I must be lucky since there in a town to the north that makes awesome cider (and apple pie too!)

mamamia88
October 11th, 2011, 04:20 PM
caramel apples, hard cider, regular cider. all of this is awesome. Not a huge fan of raw apples