PDA

View Full Version : [other] Adding LXDE Desktop to obsolete Xubuntu system?

fugazi32
October 7th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Hi guys,

I'm quite familiar with Lubuntu 11.04 but would like to add LXDE to my old Xubuntu 8.10 box (which I need to keep as 8.10 to keep various applications I use running properly!)

Any tips? New repositories? Compile from source?

Many thanks,
Nathan

kemtnbkr
October 8th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Hi, I just installed lxde on my 11.04 recently, as I have an older comp that can't really handle Unity very well. Plus I like the general feel of lxde, too.

But more to the point, I didn't have to mess with adding repositories or anything, the package installed fine. I'm not an expert at all, but I think you'd be fine with just a basic install- it uses the Openbox DE with a panel (and wallpaper) 'on top', effectively. Your older distro should support it just fine, I think.

LXDE cut down my RAM usage a somewhat appreciable amount; I get more use out of the basic layout than anything else, really.

Hope I answered your question somewhat. Only thing I have to complain about is it automatically brings in LXDE's file manager, terminal emulator, and text editor (plus I'm sure something else too). I still prefer nautilus/gedit to the included File Manager and Leafpad, but they both work fine too, its nothing more than preferring not to change.

fugazi32
October 19th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Cheers, will give it a go.

Did you use sudo apt-get to install?

mcduck
October 19th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Your biggest problem would be that 8.10 reached it's end-of-life year and a half ago, meaning that it's software repositories are already closed and it's rather unlikely that you'd be able to find any repository providing extra packages for it.

Compiling from source might work, but even that will quite likely require more up-to-date package versions than what you have available.

I would seriously suggest trying to find a way to get your applications to run on some later version of Ubuntu, using a version that's out of support means you'll have serious problems getting any software, and in addition you aren't getting any security updates for the machine which is a big deal if it's connected to the Internet.