PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Update manager not working after driver update

Odense
October 7th, 2011, 04:05 AM
I made a clean install from a persistent USB stick on my Lenovo s10 netbook. The only apparent problem was that the proprietary broadcom driver for the wifi card was not installed so no internet (at the moment I have only access to wifi)

praseodym (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1411497) kindly helped me (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1854906) and I am posting this from the netbook - but now the update manager is not woking (there is a "stopsign" shown in the topbar (in the classic view) and when I try to open "Synaptic Package Manager" I get the following message:"An error occurred

The following details are provided:

E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/th.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_main_bina ry-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report."

Any ideas how to fix this ? Maybe there is a way to copy the packages from the USB Stick again - or do some kind of "restoration" onlline from the Ubuntu pages ?

dFlyer
October 7th, 2011, 04:09 AM
I may be wrong, but I believe you will need to be hard wired to the network to install the driver. You may be able to get the driver off the live cd if it worked before you installed, but you will have to set the archives to read the cd.

Odense
October 7th, 2011, 04:44 AM
That's what I thought (and it would probably have been better but I can still do that when I HAVE access to wired net again) but praseodym helped me to get it working without a wired connection - this thread is a question on how to get the update manager and packages back to normal. I think I COULD have made the package manager read from a CD - but I used a USB stick to install and that does not seem to be covered.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 7th, 2011, 03:55 PM
You can get the correct file by entering these commands one at a time in the terminal:

sudo rm -vf /var/lib/apt/lists/*
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Odense
October 8th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Thanks - that was just what I was looking for - the netbook is now updated :D

mörgæs
October 8th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Good, then please mark the thread 'solved'.

Hils i Odense :-)

Odense
November 3rd, 2011, 05:07 PM
Now my Samsung laptop will not update:
When I start the Update Manager it says:

"Software Updates may be available for your computer.
The package information was last updates 10 days ago.
Press the 'Check' button below to check for new software updates."

But when I press it I get:
"W: Failed to fetch gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/dk.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_restricte d_binary-i386_Packages Hash Sum mismatch"

I naturally tried running

sudo rm -vf /var/lib/apt/lists/*
sudo apt-get update

But this produces the same error message as pressing the 'Check' button

How can I fix this and get the Update Manager to work again ?

mörgæs
November 3rd, 2011, 10:10 PM
Have you tried changing mirror?

Odense
November 4th, 2011, 08:26 PM
No - how do I do that ?
Please "for dummies" if possible

mörgæs
November 6th, 2011, 01:54 PM
You can change mirror settings in Synaptic: Software sources -> 'Find best server' (or something similar).

I can not tell in all detail how it looks in 11.04, since I am on a 10.04 Ubuntu right now.

Odense
November 7th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I could not find anything about "best server" but after I switched from the Danish Server to something like "Main Server" it seem to be working - but does that mean there is a problem withe the danish server ?

mörgæs
November 7th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Maybe, or maybe the switching process itself did the trick. Try to switch back to Denmark - it might work now.

Odense
November 8th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Now I found the "Best Server" so I picked that - that was not one of the danish servers though - but seems to be working :)