PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Connecting to windows server 2008

jetsonic
October 6th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Hi all.

I can't connect to the server at my work, with my linux pc at home. I am using remmina which should support rdp. What can I be doing wrong? I am able to connect if I am at work, connecting to their wireless network.

Do I need to install additional plugins? Or is there no software yet able to perform this action?

collisionystm
October 6th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Hi all.

I can't connect to the server at my work, with my linux pc at home. I am using remmina which should support rdp. What can I be doing wrong? I am able to connect if I am at work, connecting to their wireless network.

Do I need to install additional plugins? Or is there no software yet able to perform this action?

Do they have an RDP port opened up to the world? Are you using a VPN? Your not trying to connect with a local IP on a non-vpn network are you?

jonnyboysmithy
October 6th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Try using samba instead, I don't know that much about it but after a quick google it seems thats the way to go.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=connecting+to+windows+server+from+linux :)

jetsonic
October 6th, 2011, 08:49 PM
They do have a port opened, as I am able to connect when using windows 7. I am not using a vpn. I am connecting to server name "rd.<name>.dk

collisionystm
October 6th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Try using samba instead, I don't know that much about it but after a quick google it seems thats the way to go.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=connecting+to+windows+server+from+linux :)

Samba wont work lol.

He just wants to remote desktop. And yes, Remmina does work. It is one of the best programs out there. Make sure you put it in console mode if you want to access the box on Terminal 0.

jetsonic
October 6th, 2011, 08:52 PM
lol, I did google quite a lot mate.

jetsonic
October 6th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Samba wont work lol.

He just wants to remote desktop. And yes, Remmina does work. It is one of the best programs out there. Make sure you put it in console mode if you want to access the box on Terminal 0.

Not sure what you mean with console mode and terminal 0, sry

collisionystm
October 6th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Hmm....

Is your Windows 7 laptop on their domain?

jetsonic
October 6th, 2011, 08:57 PM
No my win 7 comp is connecting from my home network...

collisionystm
October 6th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Not sure what you mean with console mode and terminal 0, sry

A terminal is split into different 'levels' so to speak. Everytime you remote desktop, the server will give you a new terminal number to remote onto.

When you remote desktop using console mode, it takes you onto terminal 0 which is the same desktop you would see if you were in front of the computer itself.

jetsonic
October 6th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Ok. So how will I put in console mode?

collisionystm
October 6th, 2011, 09:00 PM
No my win 7 comp is connecting from my home network...

Try pinging the dns address of your server 2008 and then remote to the ip address instead of the name

collisionystm
October 6th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Ok. So how will I put in console mode?

In remmina, look through your options when you open a new rdp connection, you will see 'Attach to console' windows 2003 and later

jetsonic
October 6th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Connecting to IP-address fails aswell.

collisionystm
October 6th, 2011, 09:04 PM
on Windows 7

Go to Start, Run

type mstsc /admin

That will put you into console

If you dont have run on your start menu, just search RUN in the box on the start menu, and it will pop up

collisionystm
October 6th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Do you have a firewall enabled?

jetsonic
October 6th, 2011, 09:08 PM
firewall is disabled on my linux pc.

collisionystm
October 6th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Weird. So you can ping the address of the server from your linux box. You installed remmina. You open remmina, new connection, choose RDP and under hostname you put the address of the server 2008. When you hit connect it just says failed? strange.....

jetsonic
October 6th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Well, that's about it. It hangs for a couple of minutes while attempting to connect though...

collisionystm
October 6th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Well, try installing KRDC and see if that works. Maybe it is a problem with remmina? Although I do not understand why

jetsonic
October 6th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Would adding port do anything? Don't know which one though. I would suspect the server, if only I wasn't able to connect with my win 7 comp..

collisionystm
October 6th, 2011, 09:16 PM
No adding the port wouldn't do anything unless it was different than 3389. That is the default RDP port...

I wonder if there is some kind of security on the server 2008 that only allows a windows version of rdp to connect. Let me check my box

collisionystm
October 6th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Question,

While you are trying to connect with your Linux box, are you already connected with your Windows 7 machine? I ask because if you do not have Terminal Server licences I belive you can only have 2 rdp sessions. One on terminal 0 and the other on terminal 1.

jetsonic
October 6th, 2011, 09:20 PM
nope, because my win 7 is one of the dualboots on the machine :-)

jetsonic
October 6th, 2011, 09:25 PM
KRDC leaves me hanging aswell...blue screen in console mode...nothing else. Asks for my login name and password, but nothing happens.

collisionystm
October 6th, 2011, 09:26 PM
nope, because my win 7 is one of the dualboots on the machine :-)

Who built the server?

I was just reading this

When using Windows Server 2008 Terminal Server, consider using TS Gateway - Using the new capabilities of Microsoft Windows Server 2008 TS Gateway provides further protection of RDP traffic by encapsulating it into SSL packets much like SSL VPN, but without the need to deploy special VPN servers. The benefit of using the TS Gateway capabilities of Microsoft Windows Server 2008 is that remote users will only be granted access to the internal servers based upon a strict policy that can be enforced on the TS Gateway, and when combined with the NAP capabilities of the system, will only allow connection of computers that fully meet the security requirements set by the administrator.

Remmina may fail to meet a security requirement. Try another rdp program.

jetsonic
October 6th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Well, I've read about TS gateway aswell, and I'd have to ask the guys working on the server. I've tried several rdp programs, and it's all the same, so I guess I'll have to wait a while before going all out linux on my work...

Thanks a lot thought anyway.

collisionystm
October 6th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Well, I've read about TS gateway aswell, and I'd have to ask the guys working on the server. I've tried several rdp programs, and it's all the same, so I guess I'll have to wait a while before going all out linux on my work...

Thanks a lot thought anyway.

Yup... no problem!

I guess you could always run a virtual Windows on your computer? But that would absolutely defeat the purpose of what we are doing here.

Good luck, I hope you find your answer

jetsonic
October 6th, 2011, 09:32 PM
lol, I did try that aswell, but wine keeps messing up some language packs...and yeah, I agree. I'd prefer another way.

Later...

dcstar
October 7th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Hi all.

Unless you know that you are using the correct ports etc. and a Windows PC can connect successfully, you probably do not have external access.

Most sane organisation do not allow direct access to a server's RDP port from the Internet (the security risk is far too high), they require a VPN connection into the network. Ask your System Administrator how to do it.

saintslaughter
March 8th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I have this exact same problem with Remmina, KRDC, and RDViewer. ALL settings are correct. And using a windows machine works flawlessly. Its not the firewall on any router or computer. And it is not some policy setting on the server, they are using 2003. Reinstallation of my client software is useless as well. Its a shame this couldn't be resolved.

pybe
October 23rd, 2012, 07:37 PM
Been looking for a solution to this as well, only thing I can find is some software for $20 http://itap-mobile.com/desktop/rdp

They have a free trial which I must say works well.

Might just end up dropping the cash.