PDA

View Full Version : Do you own an Apple product?

Ric_NYC
October 6th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Just curious...

:)

kaldor
October 6th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Apple TV. Used to use a family member's MacBook extensively while they weren't in need of it; lovely machine.

Indirectly, I commonly use Webkit, CUPS, etc ;)

Basher101
October 6th, 2011, 07:05 PM
i really do not want to break it for all, but i just read in the news that Steve Jobs died to his cancer disease. :(

Ric_NYC
October 6th, 2011, 07:06 PM
i really do not want to break it for all, but i just read in the news that Steve Jobs died to his cancer disease. :(

I know... He had some interesting thoughts about life and death...

ilovelinux33467
October 6th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Yes - 2nd gen iPod Touch.

aaaantoine
October 6th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I have in my possession a 2nd generation iPod Nano, with 2GB storage.

It was a gift for my wife, purchased at great discount. I was absolutely annoyed that iTunes was essentially required in order to put music on the thing. And currently, no one uses it.

Ric_NYC
October 6th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Ok, folks... Let's vote!

:D

forrestcupp
October 6th, 2011, 07:13 PM
There should be one other option for those of us who don't personally own an Apple product, but there is one in the family.

I voted no, but my young son has an iPod Touch.

Paqman
October 6th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I think we have an old Ipod Shuffle in the bottom of a drawer somewhere, but it was a freebie we were given, s I've never deliberately bought anything from Apple. It's rubbish TBH, no way I would have paid for it.

All us Linux folks use Apple software every day though (assuming you've got CUPS on your system, that is).

wolfen69
October 6th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I just got rid of my ipod touch because I bought an Android phone. Good riddance, I won't miss it at all. Everything on the droid is drag and drop.

oldos2er
October 6th, 2011, 07:24 PM
No, too expensive for me.

ubupirate
October 6th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Never have, never will.

I don't like Apple, nor do I like their over-priced and horribly manufactured products.

KiwiNZ
October 6th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Yes

RiceMonster
October 6th, 2011, 07:30 PM
iPhone 4

el_koraco
October 6th, 2011, 07:31 PM
All us Linux folks use Apple software every day though (assuming you've got CUPS on your system, that is).

I have it installed, but disabled in the rc scripts. So, I guess nothing. Never really had an Apple product, but Apple has only started to gain popularity in the Eastern Europe in the last three or four years.

lykwydchykyn
October 6th, 2011, 07:32 PM
None of their products really interest me. Besides, if I bought something apple, all my apple-fanatic friends and relatives would worry me to death about it.

ninjaaron
October 6th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I almost clicked no, having given away my MacBook to some people earlier in the year (with Ubuntu installed, of course), but then I remembered that I have a G4 PowerBook at home with a totally destroyed screen. I should see if I can get a headless home-server running off of it, but I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble when I can just get a used i386 at a very low price without having to buy some crazy adapter (which possibly is no longer in production) to get a screen going just to set it up.

sixstorm
October 6th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Apple TV, Macbook Pro and soon to own an iPhone 4S.

Wife owns a Macbook Pro, iPhone 4, and iPod Touch.

BrokenKingpin
October 6th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Nope, and I don't think I ever will.

Linuxratty
October 6th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I know... He had some interesting thoughts about life and death...

Did he?

Nope,I don't have an Apple product. We had a second hand Mac once..It lasted six months.

Dr. C
October 6th, 2011, 08:20 PM
No

eriktheblu
October 6th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Own? Yes. Purchased? No.

I own a 5th generation iPod I won in a contest. My wife has a couple iPods (touch and nano) and 2 Macs.

I don't care for the product enough to justify the expense.

jonnyboysmithy
October 6th, 2011, 09:02 PM
We only got an ipod dock because it was a gift :)
Other than that nice hardware but too exspensive

ice60
October 6th, 2011, 09:06 PM
i was given a 1st gen shuffle. i put this cool python script on it so you don't need any apple software to work it -
shuffle-db.sourceforge.net

when i sashay down the street with my 1st gen shuffle i get lots of jealous looks \\:D/

Copper Bezel
October 6th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I've never owned an Apple product aside from installing iTunes under Windows. I would, however, be running a Macbook Air 11.3" right now if I had cash. (Possibly under OSX - Lion is amazing.) I've also been very tempted by the iPod Touch, which is far superior to any other PMP.

Edit: And since I'm using Orta / Faenza under Ubuntu now, under a dock-and-top-panel UI, I guess I'm a Mac fanboy who's just too cheap for the real thing. = D

Mikeb85
October 6th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I have an iPhone 3G which barely works and is getting replaced soon by an Android device. First and last Apple product. Apple products are too expensive and not functional enough. Between the phone randomly crashing and freezing, iTunes forcing an 'upgraded' OS on me when I had to recover the phone which crippled it, the alarm clock not going off at the right time, and many other complaints I don't think I'm going to miss it.

the8thstar
October 6th, 2011, 09:22 PM
iMac and MacBook Pro

Paqman
October 6th, 2011, 09:31 PM
i was given a 1st gen shuffle. i put this cool python script on it so you don't need any apple software to work it -
shuffle-db.sourceforge.net

I had that one too. Begone horrible Itunes!

collisionystm
October 6th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I LOVE APPLE. Wish I could afford it! I find the Iphone to be far greater than Android. Android has always given me issues.

dpny
October 6th, 2011, 09:45 PM
iPod/G5/Mac Pro.

LMP900
October 6th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I love their iMac line. I had an iMac G5 and replaced it with an iMac 21.5". Amazing machines.

KiwiNZ
October 6th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Over the years and a long IT career I have owned and used many many different brands. I have personally owned Sinclair s, Commodores, IBM, NEC, Homebuilds, Compaqs,HP's,IBM both pre Think( insert next name), Think Centres,Think pads, Dells, Sony and Apple.

Without hesitation the best by far in build quality,life span and useability have been the Apple products.

I currently own...

iPod Touch
iPhone 4
Apple TV (x 2 )
iMac 27"
iMac 24"
MacPro
MacBook Pro
iPad

johnnybgoode83
October 6th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Just a 120gb ipod classic

LMP900
October 6th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I currently own...

[...]
iPad

I scoffed at tablets during the iPad launch and subsequent competitors. But after obtaining a TouchPad during the firesale, I'm convinced that these are the computers I will be spending most of my time on in a few years time. Apple's next iPad will be one of the remaining computers with Steve's input and I'm looking forward to getting one.

vehemoth
October 6th, 2011, 10:52 PM
I can't afford them, but even if I could I still wouldn't get one. I have no use for a smartphone, or a portable media player. If I want to do anything that requires a computer on the go then I use a netbook. The problem for me is having something that powerful feeling like a device and not a computer with all of it's artificial limitations.

doorknob60
October 6th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Yes, a 2nd gen iPod Touch. But for the forseeable future, I do not plan on buying any more, so when this gets replaced with something else (probably an Android phone), then I won't. I like my iPod Touch, it's a great device, but I'd prefer to have a more open OS, it would make it much easier to transfer music to it (right now it's a huge pain). Even when it's jailbroken, it still has some annoying limitations due to its OS.

The only thing I might consider in the future is a Macbook, since those are not as limited as iPhones/iPods/iPads, since you can install other OSes on them and you are not locked in to only using Apps that Apple aproves, but even then, I would probably rather get a different brand, since Apple is overpriced and I can get more bang for my buck buying from a different brand.

scratman
October 6th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Nope, and doubt I ever will. Personally, while their products are generally attractive, I find that their PCs are counter intuitive, their phones are not the most reliable based on the experiences of those I know that own/have owned them, and their mp3 players offer little that it not available on other hardware. Oh, and the price is often far higher than I am prepared to pay.

I work on 3 principles, 1) Do I need it? 2) Do I want it? 3) Is it a quality product for a reasonable price? Until an Apple product gets yes to all 3, I'll keep my money, thanks.

LinuxFan999
October 6th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Yes, a 2007 Macbook, a 500MHZ iBook G3, a 300MHZ PowerMac G3, 2 iPod nanos, and an iPod touch.

mikewhatever
October 6th, 2011, 11:33 PM
No. Never wanted to be part of that kind of culture.
A culture where the Music Store only has songs, where iTunes is touted the best Juke Box in the world and where people say "apps" and think it's cool. Where one stays in line all night to get a new version of the phone he bought six months ago, where notebooks are made of anodized titanium alloys and where I'd use my mac to play my iTunes songs to sync my iPod with my iPhone to listen to my music.
Apple products are useless bling for me.

fatality_uk
October 6th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Yes, and I also own Microsoft products, Oracle products!

sylar petrelli
October 6th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Yea...2010 Macbook Pro, iPad 1 64GB and an iPod nano.

I personally like osx a lot originally got it for iOS development, but I have really grown to like it all together.

I have though about getting an iMac in the future. I like the aluminum casing for the Macbook Pro. I have been thinking about getting a old PowerPC Mac that is broken, replacing the motherboard and turning it into a hackintosh. Haven't done much research into it, but it might be fun.

Jesus_Valdez
October 7th, 2011, 12:07 AM
A 2dn gen iPod Touch and a 2dn gen iPad.

I have hear good things about the rest of the hardware but I don't see myself buying an iPhone nor a Macbook.

I do like the look of the macbooks, it would be nice if other companies started doing nice looking hardware.

el_koraco
October 7th, 2011, 12:24 AM
iMac 27"
iMac 24"
MacPro
MacBook Pro

You've got a lot of patience maintaining four computers at home. I got one laptop for daily use and an ancient laptop that I keep around and I'm too lazy to even fire up that one to run updates via ssh.

as2000
October 7th, 2011, 12:52 AM
I had iPod at one time. It lasted a whole year and then the hard drive died. I swore I would never own another Apple product. But then, I bought my daughter a iPad and she uses it extensively for her job keeping her medical stuff on it. Now, I am considering the iPad 2nd gen.

meatytaco
October 7th, 2011, 01:01 AM
I've had numerous iPods, but now just an iPhone 4 and an iPad.

KiwiNZ
October 7th, 2011, 01:18 AM
You've got a lot of patience maintaining four computers at home. I got one laptop for daily use and an ancient laptop that I keep around and I'm too lazy to even fire up that one to run updates via ssh.

I have my office at home

8_Bit
October 7th, 2011, 01:59 AM
I have a Macbook from '08 that I still use from time to time.

Also an old iPod nano, 2nd gen I think. Don't use it anymore, but not because I replaced it with something else. I simply just don't use MP3 players anymore.

That's about it.

pjd99
October 7th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Own a couple, but never actually bought one.

1st gen shuffle - was a lucky door prize at a trivia night.
1st gen 4GiB nano - old flat mate gave it to me after she broke the screen. $20 later and I had a fully functional nano.

Currently in possession of an old Macbook, trying to diagnose why the power isn't getting past the input socket, but it's not mine.

mamamia88
October 7th, 2011, 02:08 AM
no but i could see myself getting one of those i7 macbook airs in the future

NovaAesa
October 7th, 2011, 02:31 AM
I have an Apple keyboard, I got it because of the minuscule key travel distance (it's really nice to type on). I don't use it much any more though, I use a MS ergonomic split keyboard now due RSI issues.

Pynalysis
October 7th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Just curious...

Nope.

Famicube64
October 7th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Not currently. I've owned several iPods but now have a Sansa Clip+. The iPods were alright but the battery life was lame.

ubun2geek
October 7th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Over the years and a long IT career I have owned and used many many different brands. I have personally owned Sinclair s, Commodores, IBM, NEC, Homebuilds, Compaqs,HP's,IBM both pre Think( insert next name), Think Centres,Think pads, Dells, Sony and Apple.

Without hesitation the best by far in build quality,life span and useability have been the Apple products.

I currently own...

iPod Touch
iPhone 4
Apple TV (x 2 )
iMac 27"
iMac 24"
MacPro
MacBook Pro
iPad
Wow... wish I could :)
Bought an old macbook on ebay, but it almost caught on fire it heated up so much.

Rasa1111
October 7th, 2011, 04:21 AM
I sure do not!
But Ive never seen an apple laptop outwork/outlive a nice Thinkpad! lol

KiwiNZ
October 7th, 2011, 04:31 AM
I sure do not!

The Thinkpads both pre Lenova and since the Lenovo purchase are excellent Laptops. My wife has a new one every 6 months (works for IBM) so I get to have a play with one of their latest editions.

dpny
October 7th, 2011, 04:48 AM
I sure do not!

I've only seen Apple laptops die from extreme abuse. Mine went strong for six years until it got an entire glass of water dumped on it.

LMP900
October 7th, 2011, 05:03 AM
3) Is it a quality product for a reasonable price?

Pricing for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch have been very competitive compared to rival manufacturers with products of similar specs. The premium design is just an added bonus.

no but i could see myself getting one of those i7 macbook airs in the future

More powerful would be nice, but what the Airs need are long battery-life. With the release of Lion, I think the Airs actually saw a decrease in battery life. This is an area where the iPad and other tablets shine.

HappinessNow
October 7th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Just curious...

I have a big bowl full of very large Honey Crisp Apples ;)

Giant Speck
October 7th, 2011, 08:22 AM
- iPhone 3G (8GB)
- iPod Touch (2nd Generation, 32GB)
- iPod Classic (5th Generation, 30GB)

BrokenKingpin
October 7th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I currently own...

iPod Touch
iPhone 4
Apple TV (x 2 )
iMac 27"
iMac 24"
MacPro
MacBook Pro
iPad
Shouldn't you be an admin on an Apple forum somewhere? I hope you are at least running Ubuntu on the Macs.

I am surprised at how many people here love Apple here. I am not saying it is wrong to like them, it just that they have the complete opposite views than that of the open source and Linux communities.

wolfen69
October 7th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I've also been very tempted by the iPod Touch, which is far superior to any other PMP.

I had an ipod touch, but ditched it for an android phone. (galaxy S) I use it as my media player and love it. I don't even have it activated as a phone, but I got it real cheap. I would never go back to itouch after using android. But hey, to each their own. Plus, android shows up as a mass storage drive and is drag and drop for file transfer.

sarton85
October 7th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I have a 3rd generation iPod Nano. Recently replaced it with my Android phone. I like Apple's products, but they are too expensive and don't give me the feeling of freedom the way Linux/Android does.

roachk71
October 7th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Used to own a 3rd-gen iPod Touch, but after trying to sync music from my Ubuntu box unsuccessfully a few times, the device locked me out (the lock screen came up when I woke it, and none of my passwords worked!)

Something else I'm sick of: songs which (even after transcoding) self-corrupted somehow after being played about a dozen times...

I'm no sheep, so I thoroughly destroyed that abomination, and have since boycotted all Apple products.

I feel so much better now... :twisted:

IWantFroyo
October 7th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I don't have any Apple products. They're just too expensive and locked down.

That doesn't mean I have anything against Apple however. They were very good at what they did, and probably made the world a better place to live in.

mikaelcrocker
October 7th, 2011, 10:35 PM
No

Cost benefit ratio isn't there. Sure, they make good products, but you don't always get what you pay for. A friend of mine bought an iPad from a Verizon store, and he can't even use it. The good thing about a MAC is you can always find a friend in a coffee shop wearing a flannel shirt black rimmed glasses who also owns one :p

Legendary_Bibo
October 7th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I have the newest generation ipod shuffle. Great for working out although it makes you look insane from a bit of a distance because it looks like you're wearing headphones not connected to anything.

My dad also owns an iPod nano, my sister has a Mac Book Pro, and I bought my brother a 2nd gen iPod Touch

KingYaba
October 7th, 2011, 11:57 PM
I own an old Powerbook (G3) and an iPod Color.

otetiani
October 8th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I have the Ipod Nano and Shuffle, never use the Nano though and got them both free. I actually think Apple components are ingenious (plugging in my laptop again....) but the cost is too high for me to justify, and don't even start in on the "My iPhone is the greatest thing ever".

dava4444
October 8th, 2011, 12:05 AM
an old macbook 1,1 2006 . a G4 iBook 2006 too. an iphone with the lower screen touch problem 2G. old stuff but working i suppose, 'cept the iphone.

i have the 'books for garageband.

ssooo easy a prog. ive said it in many posts on here, we need a GB for Linux. Rakarrak is very very cool prog, but it could use a combined multitrack feature even a basic one. actually i take it back a bit, Rakarrak is very close. God Bless them.

Dava

Rasa1111
October 8th, 2011, 12:07 AM
The Thinkpads both pre Lenova and since the Lenovo purchase are excellent Laptops. My wife has a new one every 6 months (works for IBM) so I get to have a play with one of their latest editions.

Wow! That's awesome!
Im in love with some of the new stuff they are coming out with!
Im envious! lol :) <3

TVAbuntu
October 8th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Yes.
But I'm not allowed to talk about it on the forum...

Kadai
October 8th, 2011, 01:38 AM
Yeeeees... I own an iPod nano 4G, and not going to change it anytime soon (except if the guys of libgpod manage to get the hash for the new lines).

Too bad that on where I do live I do not have many alternatives on it... but maybe I'll try to import one of those MTP players in the future, because they support playcount (and that is a critical feature for me) and some of them have got me excited (specially the ones made by Cowon).

Rasa1111
October 8th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Yeeeees... I own an iPod nano 4G, and not going to change it anytime soon (except if the guys of libgpod manage to get the hash for the new lines).

Too bad that on where I do live I do not have many alternatives on it... but maybe I'll try to import one of those MTP players in the future, because they support playcount (and that is a critical feature for me) and some of them have got me excited (specially the ones made by Cowon).

wow!
Ive never heard of "Cowon" until your post..
But i just looked them up, and they seem sweet!
I'd rather have one of those than an ipod any day! :)
Thanks.

Chronon
October 8th, 2011, 06:10 AM
I have a 4th generation iPod that runs Rockbox.

Atamisk
October 8th, 2011, 07:01 AM
I own an old ipod classic and an ipod touch 4g that i mostly use to bork around with hacking and playing with cydia.

jonkiribati
October 9th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I want to get a macbook air but I don't have money for that :p

steveneddy
October 9th, 2011, 03:28 PM
The wife and I own two iPhone 3Gs.

Great communication device - wife loves the games to pass the time - and I am addicted to iTunes.

Saving for a new phone for the wife - probably the new 4Gs - and I would love to have an iPad.

One of these days we will own a Mac Book Pro - now THAT is an awesome machine!

Still on Ubuntu though - 10.04

keithpeter
October 9th, 2011, 03:35 PM
5 year old iBook G4. Ruth uses it daily, fine for web surfing, YouTube and e-mail. Still security updates for the Panther (one before Leopard) system but they stop soon. Just carries on goin'. The only pieces of software I miss having moved over to Linux are Tinderbox (eastgate systems) and preview (crop pdfs and paste as scalable eps files).

2nd gen shuffle managed with rebuild_db. Occasional use, tend to listen to music on my (cheap dumb) phone mostly when out and about.

Nano Geek
October 10th, 2011, 12:53 AM
MacBook Pro and iPod Touch 3rd gen. Planning on buying an iPhone 4S when possible.

Velvet_Man
October 10th, 2011, 02:55 AM
I have a few Apple products around, though I can't say that I've been impressed by any of them.

My wife and I both had iPods - I had the 20GB U2 version of the classic and she had a Mini. They both died in under 2 years. My wife now has a Nano but is constantly complaining about how it never works properly.

I also have an old eMac kicking around. It belonged to my employer, but they gave it to me because it was crashing all the time and they couldn't figure out why. It turns out, it was because Apple built it with the wrong capacitors on the logic board. These faulty capacitors were swelling up, and would have eventually exploded. I replaced them, and now it works fine, but it's slow, and nothing works with PPC anymore, so it's essentially useless.

danbuter
October 10th, 2011, 03:34 AM
I used to own a Macbook but sold it. I prefer Xubuntu to OS X.

SirDrexl
October 10th, 2011, 04:14 AM
No, I do not. Although, it's not really because I dislike their products or have made an effort to avoid them. I just haven't had a place for them.

I like to build my own computers, so that rules out Macs. And I play PC games, so I pretty much need Windows for that anyway. I'm aware there are Mac (and yes, Linux) games, but the selection is limited by comparison.

Although I have considered it, I haven't bothered to get a digital audio player with a lot of storage, so I don't have an iPod. And if I ever was to get such a thing, I'd want something that plays FLAC.

I have a cell phone, but I don't want to pay for a data plan, and the iPhone would be a more expensive phone to boot. So there goes that.

And finally, I don't have any interest in tablets.

I guess the one category where I actually dislike their products would be the peripherals that are sold on their own, like the touch-sensitive mouse and the chiclet-style keyboard. I did consider getting one of their standard keyboards, but around the same time I discovered mechanical keyboards.

kohoutek1
October 10th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Yep, lots.

Been buying Macs since '92, when they put out the first web browser (not Mosaic, btw). It was the first computer I ever saw, in '84, when my high school chemistry teacher had one (man, did he pay a lot of money for that one).

At the moment, I have a first generation Intel Mac-mini and a MacBook Pro, both running 10.5.9. The Mac-mini is my all-media center, hooked up to the TV. I use a Mighty Mouse and Blutooth keyboard with that. The MacBook is on the fritz, with a bad hard drive, but that's probably my own fault, since I have used it in pouring rain on a mountain as well as blowing sand on a beach. Curs-ed elements! :p

I also have a first generation iPod, 4GB, which I'm listening to as I write this, with Mozart adagios playing.

I paid a visit to an Apple reseller after work today. Oh, man, but gorgeous hardware! Slimmer Mac Minis and iPads to lust for. Needless to say, I shall buy another Mac!

Now, the next question... Do I own any Microsoft products?

Nope, not one.

As for Tim Cook, War Eagle!

steveneddy
January 29th, 2013, 02:26 AM
The wife and I own two iPhone 3Gs.

Great communication device - wife loves the games to pass the time - and I am addicted to iTunes.

Saving for a new phone for the wife - probably the new 4Gs - and I would love to have an iPad.

One of these days we will own a Mac Book Pro - now THAT is an awesome machine!

Still on Ubuntu though - 10.04

Threw the iPhones out the window - now wife and I are on Android phones - Galaxy SIII - just installed 12.04.

Wishing for 12.04 with Gnome.