PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] After Power Failure, Ubuntu wont boot past grub menu

swg1cor14
October 6th, 2011, 03:59 PM
We had a power failure a week ago and my Ubuntu Server 11 used to boot right into Ubuntu without any user interaction needed. After power came back on it boots to the Grub loader screen where it forces me to manually choose an option.

I hooked up a keyboard and chose one. I decided to reformat it at that point due to some changes I was making. So after a fresh reinstall of Ubuntu everything was back to working great.

Then just last night we had another power failure (which is really unusual) and when I turned my machine back on....it would sit at that grub loader screen again waiting for me to choose an option. Is there a reason? or a way to fix without having to reformat and reinstall Ubuntu?

BTW the power failures had been to the power company moving power poles because of the expanding of the roads. So its not like random unexpected power outages and shouldnt happen again.

Quackers
October 6th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Have a look at post #2 in this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1504955

collisionystm
October 6th, 2011, 04:19 PM
We had a power failure a week ago and my Ubuntu Server 11 used to boot right into Ubuntu without any user interaction needed. After power came back on it boots to the Grub loader screen where it forces me to manually choose an option.

I hooked up a keyboard and chose one. I decided to reformat it at that point due to some changes I was making. So after a fresh reinstall of Ubuntu everything was back to working great.

Then just last night we had another power failure (which is really unusual) and when I turned my machine back on....it would sit at that grub loader screen again waiting for me to choose an option. Is there a reason? or a way to fix without having to reformat and reinstall Ubuntu?

BTW the power failures had been to the power company moving power poles because of the expanding of the roads. So its not like random unexpected power outages and shouldnt happen again.

Buy a battery backup! You can integrate an APC into Ubuntu so the system will shut itself down when its notices its on battery power.

kelt123
March 5th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Hey, I got exactly the same problem!
Does anybody have a solution?

The problem is that after a power failure I'm forced to go to my server, connect a keyboard and press enter to pass the grub menu. Everything works fine after that. How can I get rid of this? How can I make Ubuntu to automatically continue to boot without asking my to press enter?

winckler
March 17th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Take a look at: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Last_Boot_Failed_or_Boot_into_Recovery_Mode

--- 00_header.orig 2012-03-17 01:51:43.317425938 -0300
+++ 00_header 2012-03-17 01:47:22.352131896 -0300
@@ -233,7 +233,7 @@
{
cat << EOF
if [ "\${recordfail}" = 1 ]; then
- set timeout=-1
+ set timeout=10
else
set timeout=${2}
fi