PDA

View Full Version : MPI on ubuntu (not gfortran)

OnkelTom
October 6th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Hi,

I have a Fortran 90 code written in MPI that I usually run on a cluster.
For small test runs I would like to run it on my Ubuntu desktop.
The code doesn't work with gfortran so I need a free fortran compiler that will work on Ubuntu. Also, I need to have MPI installed to get it to run (even if I just want to use one core).

1) Are there any other free Fortran compilers that are compatible with Ubuntu that would suit my needs?

2) What MPI should I install to work with the above?

(Could anyone guide me through the installation process please for the above two items).

3) If I had an MPI programme installed, could I use a "quad core" processor as 4 nodes (really showing my ignorance of parallel computing here!)

Cheers,

OT

karlson
October 6th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Hi,

The code doesn't work with gfortran so I need a free fortran compiler that will work on Ubuntu. Also, I need to have MPI installed to get it to run (even if I just want to use one core).

1) Are there any other free Fortran compilers that are compatible with Ubuntu that would suit my needs?

(Could anyone guide me through the installation process please for the above two items).

start here:
http://www.open-mpi.org/

That has both libraries and the compiler wrappers for MPI.

Claus7
October 6th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Hi,

3) If I had an MPI programme installed, could I use a "quad core" processor as 4 nodes (really showing my ignorance of parallel computing here!)

Cheers,

OT

1) You can use intel's fortran compiler. Even if intel is a private company the compiler can be downloaded for free. You just have to give a mail and you will receive some update notes. It does a good job and it has differences with gfortran.

2) I haven't tried fortran with mpi. I do know though that there are fortran compilers which compile parallel code of fortran. Have in mind that this an entirely different story, than writing a serial code. In order to install intel's fortran is straightforward. If you do not find info in these forums (there are a lot) post here again.

3)yes!

Regards!

OnkelTom
October 7th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for that. The nudge in the right direction for both intels compilers and open MPI was enough. Managed to get it working in only a few hours so I'm chalking it as a win since my computer knowledge is pretty poor!

Right, now to crunch some numbers without having to wait in a queue on a cluster :D

Cheers,

OT