PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error message from Install CD

JustSomeCanuck
October 5th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Hello all,

I'm trying to set up a dual boot (Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS) on my desktop, but after I start it with the install CD in the drive, the following error message appears:

"The installer encountered an unrecoverable error. A desktop session will now be run so that you may investigate the problem or try installing again."

After this message, the Ubuntu desktop appears, where I can run any program, open files...everything seems to work just fine. Could there be a problem with the install CD, and will the installation work if I try to run it?

ajgreeny
October 5th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Difficult to know, but it is worth booting to the CD again, and as soon as you see the first screen hit Enter. You will then see a language choice screen, then a menu with a "Check the install CD" or similar description. Do that and you may see some error messages when it finishes, or it may simply be a glitch for that session you used last time.

If errors show I advise you to either burn a new CD or download again, but check the md5sum of the iso file first. All the info on how to do that is here:-

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

JustSomeCanuck
October 6th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Well, no errors were found, so I guess I'll start the installation and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice!