PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Thermal Grease off laptop CPU

luismgl
October 5th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I was getting way to high temps on my laptop so I decided to open it up and clean it, besides dust I found that the thermal grease on my cpu was needing replacement (I found it a bit weird that just after a year of usage, the grease being like it is)
Anyway I know that you are supposed to use either cue-tips/coffee filters/lcd cleaning tissue with 90%+ Isopropyl alcohol but ( and I know this sounds stupid) I can't buy it in pharmacies from where I from because it seems people used to use this on illegal abortions, however that sounds. So I would like to know if I can either use salicylic acid or hydrogen peroxide instead?

Pujims
October 5th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Can you get the alcohol wipes from an electronics store? I would not use the other things.....

haqking
October 5th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Surgical spirit from any chemist does the same thing.

Sometimes nail varnish remover works too but depends on the ingredient as they are not always the same, and non scented.

You can get some which are more ethanol than anything and that is fine.

But you should be able to get surgical spirit in any chemist.

or as above says alcohol wipes also from any chemist will do the same thing.

halibaitor
October 5th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I found that the thermal grease on my cpu was needing replacement (I found it a bit weird that just after a year of usage, the grease being like it is)

I would be very leery of trying to replace the thermal grease under the CPU.

For starters, it doesn't just go bad after a year of use. Your problem is more likely the accumulated dust, and other ventilation problems. (using the computer on a soft surface, blocking the vent holes with your legs, or some such)

I would be afraid of damaging something in the process of trying to replace the thermal grease.

How did you determine that the thermal grease "was needing replacement?"

mips
October 5th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Use methylated spirits or acetone if you cannot find Isopropyl alcohol.

I would be very leery of trying to replace the thermal grease under the CPU.

For starters, it doesn't just go bad after a year of use.

PC manufacturers seem to use cheap/rubbish thermal paste. Stuff goes dry very quickly.

Why do illegal abortions when it's legal...?

jawilljr
October 5th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I used denatured alcohol on mine.

Jerry

jongkind
October 5th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Regarding the suggestions above: definitely don't use acetone or hydrogen peroxide, this will damage your machine!

MacUntu
October 5th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I use 2-propanol (isopropyl alcohol). Cheap to get at any pharmacy (doesn't need to be the pure stuff which is slightly more expensive).

ubudog
October 6th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Closed.

Please stay on topic.