PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Enlightenment on 11.04 natty

nonedrinkwater
October 5th, 2011, 05:37 AM
alright, so don't get me wrong, i might get some flak for this, and i do use gnone window manager, but i only have a gig on ram on my laptop (it's six years old now) and version 8 of ubuntu ran really fast, but now things are a bit more updated on natty and sometimes i run into memory problems and the system starts to use more swap space, which i hate, so i was wondering how i would install e17, i got e16 working but not really happy with the way it displays conky...

or maybe im thinking about going back to gentoo or slackware, i dont know... any suggestions? i looked through the forums and followed the directions but when i do apt-get install update there is an error that says cannot update enlightenment.org files

nonedrinkwater
October 9th, 2011, 08:14 AM
no one???

vanadium
October 9th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I also have only one gig RAM, and regularly encountered minute long freezes when the system started to use swap. It appears it is related to desktop effects. As I love Unity, I now switched to Unity 2D, which you can install through software center.

Chances are you also will be helped running without desktop effects, be it with enlightment, xfce or classical gnome.

Frogs Hair
October 9th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I am testing E17 on 11.04 and it uses a lot less resources than than Unity . You can install the core packages from the Synaptic Package Manager . This will give you a chance to see if you like it .

If you want be able to install themes see this PPA .http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1768427&page=3

If you would like to try a light weight Ubuntu based distro see the link. I think this will give you the most complete E17 experience . http://bodhilinux.com/

Bobrm2
October 9th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Have now downloaded E17, as you suggested.. Would like to follow your efforts and compare notes?

Bob

Frogs Hair
October 9th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Have now downloaded E17, as you suggested.. Would like to follow your efforts and compare notes?

Bob

Feel free to send a PM . I will be installing 11.10 in a matter of days , so I don't know what will happen with E17 . I hope the core packages are still available because the PPA will probably need to be updated . Here is todays theme .

ThatMattRogers
October 10th, 2011, 03:51 PM
OK I'm trying to install a selection of window managers in Ubuntu 11.04, so that I can try them out. Obviously Gnome Classic and Unity work just fine, but I've also installed E17 and KDE plasma overlay to see what they're all about. Unfortunately the snag is that the network manager is dependent on Gnome so they are unusable.

I'm told that the fix is to install ConnMan but to do so via apt-get or the software centre would uninstall the default network manager (which is working fine and I'd like to keep.

Is there any way to install ConnMann for use with E17 without it affecting my Gnome based user sessions?

Frogs Hair
October 10th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Choosing the E17 session had no effect on the ability to connect to the internet and though I am part of a home network I don't share with the other computers . Since I only use to the network to have an internet connection , I have no experience with this problem .

The core packages are a means of trying out E17 , which is incomplete . I have no problem accessing Gnome system settings and applications from E17 . I also use AMD and Connman is software for Intel .