PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Missing common sense DOCK behavior in UNITY

bmc6053
October 5th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Firstly, thanks for all the development going into UNITY... Good stuff. However, a common sense behavior of the dock is being overlooked.

If I take the time to bring my mouse way over to the left hand side of the screen.. and bring a window to focus I should be able to double click the damn icon again to minimize them. Having to use keyboard shortcuts or window buttons are fine, but this missing behavior in the dock would speed things up considerably.. AND make it feel more "polished".

I don't have my window buttons on the LEFT side because I'm right handed. The left side thing is silly but easily correctable. Perfect, I'm sure, for a left handed person... I know if the buttons are where they are supposed to be, there would be less mouse travel but still, even then, if an application remembers where I left it last (say on the right side of a WIDESCREEN) the mouse will need to travel regardless. If I open an application or bring it to focus, I should be able to simply double click the icon and get rid of it (minimize it). I'll accept a middle mouse-click to open without a method to close.. but PLEASE consider a double click feature.

Sorry for the rant, It's late and I'm moody. Just my suggestions. I'll assume the behavior is THERE but not enabled.. for whatever reason.

Cheers!

Copper Bezel
October 5th, 2011, 08:20 AM
This is a support forum depending on the user community - the developers don't watch these forums. Neither of the features you're asking for are available - clicking the icon to minimize is common but considered counter-intuitive, and the window controls are kept on the left for maximized windows to make space for the system tray at the right (and to keep them more accessible, since the dock and Home Button are also on the left.) Left-handed and right-handed are considerations for tablets, but not for a mouse interface.

There are alternatives to Unity, however - you might poke around for other docks that suit your preferences.

bmc6053
October 6th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Thanks, although I disagree with it being counter intuitive. If it is the "norm" then wouldn't *most* folks be expecting that behavior?

The button issue makes no sense, the system tray isn't being covered by my buttons AND my mouse (nor hand) move as far as it would otherwise. Of course, I use ctrl+w an awful lot now LOL