PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Flashplugin 11.01.152 final is released

Harry33
October 4th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Adobe has released now the Flashplugin 11.0.1.152 final.
It is available for both 32-bit and native 64-bit architectures.

Here:
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer.html

ubupirate
October 4th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Finally. I've been waiting for this to get out of Adobe Labs and into the actual Flash Platform website. :D

One of the best versions to date, especially for Linux users.

paul_in_london
October 4th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks Harry. Yes, already using it on 64 bit. ;)

Hadn't used Chrome/Chromium for a while (I mainly use Firefox).
Upgraded today from Flash 11 RC to Flash 11.0.1.152 and tvcatchup.com is still fine with FF/Opera, but in Chromium 15.0.871.0 and Chrome 16.0.899.0 I get sound but no picture at all.

Youtube gives me picture and sound with Chrome/Chromium.

I've tried Chromium's built-in flash plugin as well as disabling that so that Chromium will use the same plugin as FF/Opera.

Chrome 16.0.899.0 doesn't show a built-in flash plugin on the plugins page, only the /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so one.

Anyone else in the UK experiencing this?

ZephyrXero
October 4th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Chrome 64-bit does not ship with flash built-in like the 32-bit version. Hopefully that will change soon now that Flash 11 is out.

paul_in_london
October 5th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Have just updated my 32 bit Oneiric install and the latest flash is working as it should on that website (tvcatchup.com) with Chromium 15.0.871.0 so it does seem to be a 64 bit issue.

danielsk
October 5th, 2011, 03:45 AM
Is there any trick to install it?

I followed the Adobe site instruction, it opens in software center, but the instalation that appears is for version 10.3.183.10-0natty1

paul_in_london
October 5th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I installed it yesterday (1x 32 bit install and 1x64 bit install on the same box) by downloading the .tar.gz from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and I was going to suggest you do the same, but that page now shows this on my 32 bit VM:

Download Adobe Flash Player
Adobe Flash Player version 10.3.183.10
Your system: Linux 32-bit, Firefox

Don't know what that's all about!

philinux
October 5th, 2011, 12:34 PM
64 bit here. Excellent performance on bbc video full screen.

Moved to Cafe.

Gremlinzzz
October 5th, 2011, 12:59 PM

werty2010
October 5th, 2011, 01:05 PM
will this be available through the updates (eventually)?

philinux
October 5th, 2011, 01:52 PM

Should be as it's a final release.

BrokenKingpin
October 5th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Hopefully this updates some of the flash performance issues I have been having. I will wait for the Ubuntu repos to have it.

P1C0
October 5th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Is there any trick to install it?

I followed the Adobe site instruction, it opens in software center, but the instalation that appears is for version 10.3.183.10-0natty1
Well, I installed it like this:

$ sudo alien -v --scripts flash-plugin-11.0.1.152-release.x86_64.rpm
$ sudo dpkg -i flash-plugin_11.0.1.152-1_amd64.debThen:

$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins
If you run Firefox and go to Tools->Add-ons->Plugins you should see both versions of Flash 10.3 and 11.0, but the latter is being used.

I think this method requires manual upgrade of the flash-plugin package over time, meaning that you should download and install latest .deb from Adobe site.

edit://From tech specs I see it requires Mozilla Firefox 4.0 or Google Chrome, but I'm using it on Firefox 3.6.23 currently without issues..

philinux
October 5th, 2011, 03:41 PM
No need to use alien on a rpm.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

There's tar file with the file libflashplayer.so

Just needs to go in .mozilla/plugins

lovinglinux
October 6th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I have updated Flash-Aid (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flash-aid/) to install it. Select the Beta option in the Wizard and it will install the final version.

ice60
October 6th, 2011, 10:35 PM
i tried the download and still ended up with the same 10 version. i enabled the source parter repo too. then added another repo which was supposed to update it and it didn't work. i looked at flashaid and it has 11.0.r1.129 lol. i suppose i'll do it manually :-\

Frogs Hair
October 6th, 2011, 10:59 PM

Flash updates appear pretty quickly in the update manager , especially if a security update is involved . I was notified by the Flash Aid Firefox add-on which I used to install it .

alexcckll
October 7th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Flash updates appear pretty quickly in the update manager , especially if a security update is involved . I was notified by the Flash Aid Firefox add-on which I used to install it .
Accepted the Flash 11 update onto my Lenovo Ideapad S12... however, I was a little concerned that when playing out off Youtube, it's dropped to software video rendering, while still runnign accelerated decoding. Seems to behave nicely on iPlayer though.

Monitored CPU usage when playing out - it seems to sit between 70-90% most of the time - is thst pretty much expected behaviour on an Atom-based box?

Should I remove the override script I used with Flash 10.3? (GPU override) Or will it be best to leave that, and nto worry too much about the software rendering.. as the decoding is the harder bit that it's passed to the GPU?

My Ideapad has an NVIDIA ION on-board.

However, resuming a programme on 4OD which I had started on Flash 10 - didn't want to play ball.

alexcckll
October 7th, 2011, 09:10 AM
We7 is only using 60-75% cpu,load average about 1.9-2.2

BrokenKingpin
October 7th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I have updated Flash-Aid (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flash-aid/) to install it. Select the Beta option in the Wizard and it will install the final version.
Is there a Flash-Aid plugin for Chromium?

lovinglinux
October 10th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Is there a Flash-Aid plugin for Chromium?

Nope. But the extension is essentially a script generator, so if you execute Flash-Aid wizard once in Firefox, Chromium will benefit from the changes as well.

el_koraco
October 10th, 2011, 06:14 PM
This is an experience form 32 bit Squeeze, but there's no major difference to Ubuntu. I cleaned all the manually installed cruft from the past today, ran the plugin installer from the repos (the one that downloads from the site), and now flash content is running at 20 percent of CPU, most of the load being taken on by the GPU (integrated ATI). This is like Windows, given that the CPU is a single-core weakling.

Nice job Adobe.