PDA

View Full Version : As release date closes in...

ubupirate
October 4th, 2011, 08:43 PM
How many of you are going to upgrade to Oneiric pretty much right out of the gate, or do you plan to wait awhile for the kinks to get ironed out before you uprade? (This considering if you use say 10.04, 10.10 or 11.04 with 11.10 as dual boot test or 11.10 alpha/beta test solo)

Also going to upgrade, or clean install?

Myself I plan to maybe throw 11.10 onto a separate parition of like say 10GB and see how well my hardware plays with it. I've tried the Alphas and Betas, and it didn't seem to like my hardware at the time.

sammiev
October 4th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Too late been using it for a few months now. :D

philinux
October 4th, 2011, 08:56 PM
How many of you are going to upgrade to Oneiric pretty much right out of the gate, or do you plan to wait awhile for the kinks to get ironed out before you uprade? (This considering if you use say 10.04, 10.10 or 11.04 with 11.10 as dual boot test or 11.10 alpha/beta test solo)

Also going to upgrade, or clean install?

Myself I plan to maybe throw 11.10 onto a separate parition of like say 10GB and see how well my hardware plays with it. I've tried the Alphas and Betas, and it didn't seem to like my hardware at the time.

I have 2 HD's with natty on one and oneiric on two. I'll leave like that for a month then clean install oneiric on one and load up 12.04 on two :)

quids
October 4th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I'll be grabbing it straight away, the latest version of Unity looks too damn nice to ignore.

My 11.04 system is corrupted and has lost a few features that were present a couple of months ago. Still running though so can't complain.

I've been messing around with 11.10 on a 2nd harddrive right through development and its running perfectly fine.

viperdvman
October 4th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I'm not going to grab it right away. I plan on waiting about a month like I did when I decided to install 11.04 on my computer. However, since I like my Mac OS X style interface that I have in my Ubuntu 11.04 running Ubuntu Classic, I intend to install it on its own partition alongside Windows and Ubuntu 11.04, effectively making it a triple-boot system. It'll give me the opportunity and the space to play around with a stable 11.10 while still keeping my 11.04 as my primary Linux. Call it an extended trial of the new Unity and even GNOME 3 Shell and GNOME 3 Classic.

Yes, it's gonna be hard to get me away from GNOME 2.32 :D It's the reason for keeping both versions around at least until 12.04 LTS comes out.

ubupirate
October 4th, 2011, 09:16 PM

Ok, but when the full release comes are you going to update it from the beta->release or clean install release?

viperdvman
October 4th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I've played with Oneric on LiveUSB numerous times, but only the Beta releases. Live sessions can only go so far, so I want to try a proper hard drive installation of the stable release.

Oh, and I'll be keeping it only on my desktop for now, and not my netbook. Like I said, it's gonna be an "extended" trial :)

ubupirate
October 4th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Yes, it's gonna be hard to get me away from GNOME 2.32

Indeed, which is why I'm still on 10.10. My hardware runs Gnome2 flawlessly, and having tried 11.04 it didn't agree, so hoping maybe 11.10 will be nicer on stable release.

If it happens to work nicely with my hardware, I may consider clean install solo primary OS a month or two after official release.

IWantFroyo
October 4th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I'm probably going to install it as soon as it comes out. I'll write a review on it, as soon as I manage to get Drupal up on my website.

OpSecShellshock
October 4th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I've been using it already on one of my computers. Started out with an upgrade from 11.04 but had to do a full install after a week or so because (I think) of some things held over from older versions. Been a smooth ride ever since.

For my other system what I usually do is upgrade the weekend before release day. In my experience it's not a good idea to actually upgrade on release day, at least not if you're doing it through Update Manager. The servers tend to be very busy, retrieval of packages takes a long time, and what usually happens to me is that my privileges drop somewhere in the middle of it all and the process hangs up. In short: weekend before, takes about an hour. Release day: takes about 8. Heck, my last experience just doing full install was so great I'll probably just stick with that going forward.

sammiev
October 4th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Ok, but when the full release comes are you going to update it from the beta->release or clean install release?

I will likely do a clean install on one of the three I have running at this time to see if I notice any difference. :)

Utew
October 4th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Probably won't do a clean install when the final is released, as I am up to date on all updates and have been running 11.10 for some time..

At this point, Oneiric is looking really good IMO, after a number of ups and downs through the beta process (to be expected). Devs have been quick to fix fatal bugs.. and deserve a round of Thanks for the job done.

What really makes me happy is how stable Gnome Shell has been, for quite some time now. Yeah, I know there are those that dislike GS.. and it does have a ways to go to address a number of the complaints many of us have about customization and flexibility, but I think it is showing pretty darn well, in 11.10.

Just my Two shekels. :wink:

ventrical
October 5th, 2011, 12:59 AM

Unity really shines in this version!

ubupirate
October 5th, 2011, 01:04 AM

I have to agree. Testing 11.04 vs 11.10 side by side, Unity performs way better in 11.10. It seems the devs really did a number on getting Unity working a lot better.

ubj
October 5th, 2011, 01:05 AM

It might but Oneiric is easily the most buggy Ubuntu release ever. So buggy that it is actually amusing.

ubupirate
October 5th, 2011, 01:08 AM
It might but Oneiric is easily the most buggy Ubuntu release ever. So buggy that it is actually amusing.

Mind elaborating on why you think so?

ubj
October 5th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Mind elaborating on why you think so?

So many bugs in compiz and Unity and last minute regressions. Yesterday and today.

MAFoElffen
October 5th, 2011, 01:36 AM
As Maverick to Natty went to release-- Mine as Maverick betat2 to Natty, things came together real fast in those last 2 weeks... It evolved as a snapshot in time and went on...

As Natty to Oneiric goes to release-- Mine as Natty betat2 to Oneiric... I expect the same. In the past Dev Versions to release, I don't notice a big polished kind of time-line until an LTS release. Next one is not until 12.04 in June right?

I currently have:
3 on 11.04 desktop
1 on 11.04 server
3 on 11.10 beta2 desktop
2 on 11.10 beta2 server

Hopefully, a few days after that my test boxes will be doing 12.04 pre-alpha...

Remember the "Let the Breakage Begin thread?" I have a card taped to one of my monitors:

"I Void Warranties"

I "also" get practice with the dev versions to be able to help others when it is released and they try it...

pjd99
October 5th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Will run it in a VM, but doubt it will ever be on my main partition. Will look at keeping 11.04 (itself a nightmare), downgrading to 10.10 or switching to Mint/Xubuntu. Can't stand using an unfinished netbook/touchsrceen interface (without touch) on a laptop with a large, high-res screen.

cariboo
October 5th, 2011, 02:34 AM
This thread really doesn't belong here, as most of us have been using Oneiric for almost 6 months, so the question doesn't really apply to the members posting in this sub-forum. Moved to the Cafe.

JDShu
October 5th, 2011, 02:42 AM
A combination of disappointment with Unity, increasing doubt in the organizational competence of Canonical, and a change in the way I use computers has led me to switch to a different distro. That said, I wish Ubuntu the best.

dniMretsaM
October 5th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Fresh install right when it comes out! I'm a bleeding edge kinda guy.

3Miro
October 5th, 2011, 02:52 AM
I use the cutting edge, but I also don't take any chances. I dual boot with the beta, as soon as I deem it stable and useful enough, I am going for a clean install and making it the main version.

ninjaaron
October 5th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Already got it on a partition.

It will not be replacing Arch. Some of the packages that will be on the release are already out of date as far as Arch is concerned.

How much more minty fresh can a distro actually be? None more minty, I think.

8_Bit
October 5th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I am not sure yet. I'm a kubuntu user and I've hardly seen any news about changes/improvements to Kubuntu Oneiric. Hard to know whether upgrading is worth it.

If I do decide to upgrade, it will be with a clean install for sure. Don't feel like dealing with a possible broken system.

Pynalysis
October 5th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Will be upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10 on release day!

speedwell68
October 5th, 2011, 12:10 PM
As soon as I have time to do it. I'm doing a clean install and I am taking detailed notes as I configure the system to my liking.

I am really excited about the new release of Unity.

PuddingKnife
October 5th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I've been running it for about a month. I hated Natty. Oneiric has been a pleasure, and the changes in Unity shell have all been quite pleasant. On my machine, it's been very stable with a few Compiz crashes here and there. Not too shabby.

tadcan
October 5th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I've used the beta in VM for the past month and i've gone from hating it, to getting used to it. Also have 10.10 on my laptop, which is perfectly fine as is. At least the full screen mode in 11.10 means I don't see the unity bar all the time. Will I install it on my laptop, no, I'll probably wait until 12.04 and decide then.

dniMretsaM
October 5th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I am not sure yet. I'm a kubuntu user and I've hardly seen any news about changes/improvements to Kubuntu Oneiric. Hard to know whether upgrading is worth it.

If I do decide to upgrade, it will be with a clean install for sure. Don't feel like dealing with a possible broken system.

If I were you, I would upgrade to 11.10 if only to get access to the package updates. Sure there are backports and PPA's, but there will still be a lot of updated programs in the 11.10 repos that you won't be getting on 11.04.

philinux
October 5th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Will be upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10 on release day!

Actually not a good idea upgrading on the day as the servers can get overloaded.

Better to do it the day before or wait 24 hrs.

Clean install is fine. Using a torrent is the best way to get the iso.

Or get it now and use zsync to keep it up to date.

ubupirate
October 5th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Actually not a good idea upgrading on the day as the servers can get overloaded.

Better to do it the day before or wait 24 hrs.

Clean install is fine. Using a torrent is the best way to get the iso.

Or get it now and use zsync to keep it up to date.

Even on a clean install, when you do the updates it can take forever as the servers are overloaded normally. I plan to wait a few days after release before installing, but I will download and burn to DVD the second it's released to have it ready to go.

And yes, torrent is highly recommended. It's a great way to share Ubuntu, as I usually download all available editions on each release and seed them each up to about 15.0-25.0 ratio. :)

aaaantoine
October 5th, 2011, 03:49 PM
If I were patient, I'd wait a month before upgrading so that the most common kinks could be worked out. However, if the last release cycle was any indication, I'll upgrade a week before release. ;)

viperdvman
October 6th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Even on a clean install, when you do the updates it can take forever as the servers are overloaded normally. I plan to wait a few days after release before installing, but I will download and burn to DVD the second it's released to have it ready to go.

And yes, torrent is highly recommended. It's a great way to share Ubuntu, as I usually download all available editions on each release and seed them each up to about 15.0-25.0 ratio. :)

This is one of the big reasons I want to wait a month before I install Oneric to my 3rd OS partition. Not only will most of the release bugs be ironed out, but the servers won't be as hog-wild with a lot of early birds downloading it. I usually don't mind doing direct downloads of Ubuntu, but I'll very likely torrent it as it's usually faster.

Linuxratty
October 6th, 2011, 08:25 PM
So many bugs in compiz and Unity and last minute regressions. Yesterday and today.

I'll be moving to Kubuntu.Xubuntu or to Bohdi when 10;10 is no longer supported.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 7th, 2011, 02:20 AM
I will try it out in VMware or Virtualbox to see what the improvements are; however, I doubt that I will adopt it as a primary OS for my laptop computers. I still prefer to use the LTS Ubuntu releases for laptops, or CentOS and Debian for servers.

krapp
October 7th, 2011, 02:34 AM
I hated Natty. Oneiric has been a pleasure, and the changes in Unity shell have all been quite pleasant.

For all those using the beta, what's the best thing about Oneiric?

mamamia88
October 7th, 2011, 02:35 AM
I'm sticking with 10.04 until next lts. tried 11.04 and didn't like it and recently reinstalled 10.04. not going to go through 2 upgrade processes just to get 11.10

wolfen69
October 7th, 2011, 02:51 AM
I'm already running 11.10. But I always do clean installs. I hear too many horror stories about upgrading going bad.

wolfen69
October 7th, 2011, 02:52 AM
For all those using the beta, what's the best thing about Oneiric?

Seems very stable to me, and fast.

sammiev
October 7th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Did a few clean installs since the last few versions and must say that 11.10 is stable and enjoyable. I do get one error shortly after boot which has many bug reports on. Likely fixed soon. :popcorn:

ubun2geek
October 7th, 2011, 04:23 AM
I'll do it right away. I believe in open source! :D

ubupirate
October 7th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Did a few clean installs since the last few versions and must say that 11.10 is stable and enjoyable. I do get one error shortly after boot which has many bug reports on. Likely fixed soon. :popcorn:
The only major issue I've noticed is a lockup error on shutdown after installing Catalyst drivers, where the OS wouldn't shut down properly and forced me to hard shutdown by holding my power button in for x seconds.

BrokenKingpin
October 7th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I will be installing Xubuntu 11.10 on my machine the day it is released. I currently have Mint 11 on my main rig, and I have been looking to replace it for a whole with Xubuntu, but figured I would wait for 11.10 to drop.

I am really looking forward to it.

sarton85
October 7th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I have been trying 11.10 for months in Virtualbox until it felt stable enough in the beginning of September and installed it on my desktop and eee pc.

I like most of the new changes in 11.10 and Unity. But I also hope that some bugs will be fixed the coming weeks. 11.10 is still using about 200MB RAM more on average, compared with 11.04. Still some applications crash randomly and sometimes Unity freezes up totally. And sometimes it doesn't shutdown. I am also missing some settings from good ol' Gnome 2, like a decent screensaver, settings that actually allow me to save power when on battery (I now have to manually decrease screen brightness when on battery) and a way to configure font sizes in System Settings (instead of having to install gnome-tweak-tool).

But I really like the steady pace in which Ubuntu is going forward and innovating the way it does. I don't really mind when 11.10 is still a little bit raw, as long as 12.04 is going to be great.

dniMretsaM
October 8th, 2011, 12:44 AM
But I really like the steady pace in which Ubuntu is going forward and innovating the way it does. I don't really mind when 11.10 is still a little bit raw, as long as 12.04 is going to be great.

I'm with you on this. 11.10 will still have some bugs that need to be ironed out, but I have a feeling 12.04 will be very good. Anyway, release day is less than a week away! Totally pumped. I'll probably download -> install -> setup -> seed the torrent for a few hours to help my fellow Kubuntu users.

mrfelker
October 8th, 2011, 02:19 AM
I'm running Oneric 64-bit now. Upgraded from Beta 1 and none of the updates broke the system. Like Gnome3 better than Unity but I guess I can get used to Unity if I want. Actually still use KDE 4.7 mostly. Playing with kernel 3.1.0-0301rc9-generic but I'm glad 3.0 is still around as its the only kernel for the moment that Vmware WS 8 suplports as host.;)

Atamisk
October 8th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Upgraded to 11.10, and i'm pretty happy with it aside from some graphical glitches that showed up. For some reason, the Grid plugin for compiz went all wonky =/. Oh well, we'll get it sorted soon!

ubupirate
October 8th, 2011, 02:15 PM
The closer the release date gets, the more I am tempted with urges to download and install it very same day disregarding the fact that the servers will be extremely bottlenecked.

Is this a normal temptation, or is there something wrong with me? :P

CharlesA
October 8th, 2011, 02:19 PM
The closer the release date gets, the more I am tempted with urges to download and install it very same day disregarding the fact that the servers will be extremely bottlenecked.

Is this a normal temptation, or is there something wrong with me? :P
I think it's normal.

I haven't had that one in a while as I am running 10.04 and haven't felt like upgrading since I am waiting for 12.04.

ubupirate
October 10th, 2011, 04:54 PM
3 days to scheduled release date, am I am getting more excited as each day passes by. :D

Seeing how good Unity improved over 11.04 really got me interested in this release.

BigSilly
October 10th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I couldn't wait any longer and installed a daily build the other day. I'd tried the alphas and betas, and had no real problems running live, so thought it time to have a proper install. I had a couple of small issues at first (Unity bar not triggering properly, and a couple of other crashes), but since that there's been a ton of updates and everything has been silky smooth since. This is particularly pleasing as 11.04 was seriously problematic for me and I could not get it working.

What's especially nice is the fact that I haven't had to do anything. No tweaking or faffing at all. Everything just works. In past releases I've always had something to put right manually somewhere, but with 11.10 there's nothing. I've grabbed a couple of favourite applications, swapped some stuff out of the Unity bar and put other stuff in, changed my wallpaper, and that's it. So I would say if you're looking for a distro that you want to mess about with, look elsewhere. If you want a solid release that's built to last, I think 11.10 could be the one.

There's a real buzz about this release imho. I'm enjoying it massively, and I'm glad I decided to get in early this time too.

ubupirate
October 10th, 2011, 05:55 PM

I've been messing about with the daily build for about a day now, and I can honestly say I am really considering burning it to DVD today possibly and installing it as a dual boot along side 10.10. It works amazingly well in a virtualbox, and I can only wonder what it would be like on real hardware.

sammiev
October 10th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I just did a full usb hd backup of 11.10 as it's running perfect at this time. I have been testing it since alpha2 was released. :)

TheJackal12
October 10th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I ran the live version of it a few days ago. Some things I noticed:

To activate unity bar, I had to click the windows (super) key to show it. In 11.04 you just have to move the mouse to the left edge or corner.

Wacom settings were available. Nice addition.

And a question for those with SSDs: does 11.10 offer anything new, or is it still recommended to add "discard" to fstab? Thanks!

BigSilly
October 10th, 2011, 08:06 PM
I ran the live version of it a few days ago. Some things I noticed:

To activate unity bar, I had to click the windows (super) key to show it. In 11.04 you just have to move the mouse to the left edge or corner.

I had this problem too, but a number of updates have come down the shute since and the bar is working exactly as it should now. I haven't had the problem since day one of installing it.

ubupirate
October 11th, 2011, 02:15 PM

So you inspired me, and I went ahead and dual booted 11.10 daily build as of October 10th.

It was an absolute living nightmare having to install graphics drivers (AMD/ATI), and then having to try and fix the system after which I managed to botch up.

Decided to drop down back to 10.04 for now, as my 10.10 install was feeling slow so didn't go back on 10.10.

kaldor
October 11th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I'm waiting on 12.04 LTS or 12.04.1 before upgrading. My production machine is a Win7/11.04 dual boot and I can't afford to muck about with issues that might arise (particularly with catalyst). I can't risk attempting a fresh install because I am paranoid that I may mess up my dual boot, which I cannot afford to spend time fixing now.

I have a few issues with Catalyst in Ubuntu 11.04 which I am hoping will be fixed by 12.04. Better yet, the open source drivers might be perfect for me by then. Sadly, 10.04 didn't fit my needs for that due to some newer hardware. Obviously I could just use PPAs or third party stuff, but I rather keep my software as vanilla as possible in order to maintain stability.

The sad thing is that once you begin having more responsibilities you tend to have less time to screw around and break stuff :(

weasel fierce
October 11th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Kubuntu rather than Ubuntu, but I took the dive this weekend.

BigSilly
October 11th, 2011, 06:22 PM
So you inspired me, and I went ahead and dual booted 11.10 daily build as of October 10th.

It was an absolute living nightmare having to install graphics drivers (AMD/ATI), and then having to try and fix the system after which I managed to botch up.

Decided to drop down back to 10.04 for now, as my 10.10 install was feeling slow so didn't go back on 10.10.

Do you know, I'm going to just stop recommending things to people! :D Every time I say, "hey give this a shot", does the person come back to me and say "hey that was a really bad idea"! :D

All I can say is it's working beautifully for me on my main machine (specs below). No driver issues, no deal breakers (though I've had ProjectM crash on me in conjunction with Banshee, it's nothing really) and all working swimmingly. I can only apologise for your trouble, though I will add that the hell you describe was similar to the problems I had with Natty.

Ah. Now I've just spied an Nvidia update. This is where it could all go wrong folks.

/gulps

/clicks update

/runs

sammiev
October 11th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Do you know, I'm going to just stop recommending things to people! :D Every time I say, "hey give this a shot", does the person come back to me and say "hey that was a really bad idea"! :D

All I can say is it's working beautifully for me on my main machine (specs below). No driver issues, no deal breakers (though I've had ProjectM crash on me in conjunction with Banshee, it's nothing really) and all working swimmingly. I can only apologise for your trouble, though I will add that the hell you describe was similar to the problems I had with Natty.

Ah. Now I've just spied an Nvidia update. This is where it could all go wrong folks.

/gulps

/clicks update

/runs

Well I can say it was a walk in the park for me. No other drivers needed. I hope other people have the same luck that we had. :)

wolfen69
October 11th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I've been messing about with the daily build for about a day now, and I can honestly say I am really considering burning it to DVD today possibly and installing it as a dual boot along side 10.10. It works amazingly well in a virtualbox, and I can only wonder what it would be like on real hardware.

Being only 2 days from release, at this point it is essentially finished. There may be a couple minor updates before then, but nothing you will likely notice. Been using it for 4 weeks myself.

BigSilly
October 11th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Well I can say it was a walk in the park for me. No other drivers needed. I hope other people have the same luck that we had. :)

Yup. Update fine, no problems. This could be the finest Ubuntu yet imho. I honestly couldn't be more thrilled to be back using Ubuntu, and to find it looking so good. Big hugs for the devs. :)

sffvba[e0rt
October 11th, 2011, 09:58 PM
We will be having our first official Release Party here in the UAE, so I am pretty excited about that :)

sammiev
October 12th, 2011, 02:31 AM
We will be having our first official Release Party here in the UAE, so I am pretty excited about that :)

BIG PARTY at not found place!!! Everyone welcome!!! :popcorn:

beew
October 12th, 2011, 02:39 AM
It is days from release and this bug is not even assigned.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/860707

mamamia88
October 12th, 2011, 02:40 AM
I couldn't wait and installed beta 2 earlier today. Not bad still hate unity gonna swtich to gnome 3

sffvba[e0rt
October 12th, 2011, 02:45 AM
It is days from release and this bug is not even assigned.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/860707

Every week in the newsletter they have a bug report summary, it always seems insanely high and always climbing...

oldos2er
October 13th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Thread closed at OP's request.