PDA

View Full Version : Install 11.04 on PowerEdge 2800, Compiz crashes

oldsmobile_mike
October 4th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Hi!

Just came back after a long time gone. Trying to install Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit on a Dell PowerEdge 2800 (dual 2.8GHz Xeon processors, 6GB memory, 5x73GB 10K RPM drives in RAID-5), but it doesn't work. Regardless of whether I choose the "Try Ubuntu" or "Install now" options, a few minutes later I'm presented by a flickering Ubuntu screen with the dialog box "Application problem: Sorry, Compiz closed unexpectedly". It just does this over and over, flickering screen, dialog box, etc. If I click quickly on things I can start applications, Firefox and the menus open, but after a second I just get the Compiz crash again.

Any tips? Seems like Ubuntu is just not compatible with this system? :frown:

PS - trying to install the regular version, not server version.

oldsmobile_mike
October 4th, 2011, 08:51 PM
As a side note, I just tried to install 11.04 Server version on this same PC, and it installed fine to the command prompt mode. Then I tried to install the GUI, using some instructions I googled up real quick, and got this message:

"It seems you do not have the hardware required to run Unity. Please choose Ubuntu Classic at the login screen and you will be using the traditional environment."

Any tips? Really don't want server on this machine at all, just a regular install of 64-bit workstation... :confused:

collisionystm
October 4th, 2011, 09:04 PM
So are you trying to make some sort of super computer?

You are going to need to install a good video card.

Is it PCI Express?

oldsmobile_mike
October 4th, 2011, 09:27 PM
So are you trying to make some sort of super computer?

You are going to need to install a good video card.

Is it PCI Express?

Ha, LOL, it's just an old junky server we had laying around the office, figured I'd throw Ubuntu on it and see how it worked. Unfortunately it only has one PCI slot (with a USB card in it) and the rest are PCI-X, and some weird version of PCI Express (look like they may be x4 slots, or something, but I don't have any cards that will fit).

So it sounds like the ATI Radeon 7000 graphics in this thing aren't good enough to run Ubuntu? Well, that's unfortunate, since it runs Windows fine. :-/