PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] grafic card for kubuntu 11.04 (which is the best...)

ritchie-w
October 4th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Hello,

I still have problems with my system and I guess it is the grafic chip of the main board, which is not well supported.

Which is the best grafic card I can use for my system,
because of the stabled drivers, most supported ?

Best regards,

R.

sgaap
October 4th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Tbh, overall best choice is nvidia (or intel, not sure about the state of their drivers but they seem to improve steadily), ati's official drivers are crap (11.9 even breaks kde 4 and still bugs majorly when using gnome 3) so you should avoid those, the oss drivers are ok-ish but still lack a lot of functionality, so best choice would be the nvidia binary blob (and the ati oss drivers if you care for keeping your system fully oss)

ritchie-w
October 4th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the infos, will try to find a nvidia card

MAFoElffen
October 5th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Tbh, overall best choice is nvidia (or intel, not sure about the state of their drivers but they seem to improve steadily), ati's official drivers are crap (11.9 even breaks kde 4 and still bugs majorly when using gnome 3) so you should avoid those, the oss drivers are ok-ish but still lack a lot of functionality, so best choice would be the nvidia binary blob (and the ati oss drivers if you care for keeping your system fully oss)
Crysalis driver v11.9 not working with Ubuntu Unity =, but v11.8 does for ATI cards.

I think it's more a preference. I have boxes with nNVidia and some with ATI. I prefer the nVidias.

ritchie-w
October 5th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Can you name a specify card, because I need to buy a new one.

What is about:

ASUS EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD3/V2(LP), GeForce

Grafikadapter
- GF 210
- PCI Express 2.0 x16
- 1 GB DDR3
- DVI, HDMI ( HDCP )

Grafikprozessor / Hersteller:NVIDIA GeForce 210

Will this card work with kUbuntu 11.04 / 11.10 and
the actual kernel ?

Can you name a other one, best will be without any fan.

Best regards
R.

ritchie-w
October 6th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Hi,

I buy a GeForce GTS 450 and it works fine for me with
64Bit and 32bit.

All my problems are gone after installation.

R.

Basher101
October 6th, 2011, 09:01 PM
i want to use the Gigabyte GTX 570 (Overclock version) for my gaming build im soon gonna get. Will it run ubuntu, games under wine or even windows 7 in a vbox (and inside that windows 7 some games on max) ? Otherwise i will simply dualboot once i get it..