PDA

View Full Version : Coming from windows: GTK, WxWidgets, or Qt for GUI development?

Noble Bell
October 4th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Which of the following tool kits give the best results:

1) WxWidgets
2) Qt
3) GTK

I use C++ and I want to be able to write my software one time on my Linux box and be able to use it on Windows and Mac as well as Linux. I know all three are able to do this but I may want to sell some of my applications on Windows/Mac and that kinda leaves out Qt doesn't it?

Anyone have any advice to offer?

Thanks in advance.

karlson
October 4th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Which of the following tool kits give the best results:

1) WxWidgets
2) Qt
3) GTK

I use C++ and I want to be able to write my software one time on my Linux box and be able to use it on Windows and Mac as well as Linux. I know all three are able to do this but I may want to sell some of my applications on Windows/Mac and that kinda leaves out Qt doesn't it?

It actually doesn't leave out QT at all you may need to get Commercial license to get All possible features of QT but the LGPL version is pretty extensive.

I would suggest trying all 3 and deciding what you like better. In either case the software you distribute will have to have components of these libraries distributed with them.

SledgeHammer_999
October 4th, 2011, 04:00 PM
"leaves out Qt doesn't it"---> No it doesn't. If you use the LGPL license then you can distribute closed-source programs(and payware). Just don't modify the qt sources themselves.

In Linux I have used GTKmm (www.gtk.org)(a C++ gtk binding/wrapper) extensively. For cross-platform apps I have used wxWidgets and Qt. Both work great. And I suppose so does Gtkmm, never tried it though.

You could try all 3 of them, and then decide on what you feel more comfortable with.(api wise and style wise)

Noble Bell
October 4th, 2011, 05:16 PM
I really like what Qt has. I was concerned about the licensing stuff. I never really understood the LGPL model that well. I guess I am challenged in that area. LOL.

KdotJ
October 4th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I've only had real actual experience with wxWidget, and I think its really good. Its simple to pick up and has great documentation. I have had a play with Qt but not enough to make a full judgement.

juancarlospaco
October 4th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I want to be able to write my software one time on my Linux box and be able to use it on Windows and Mac as well as Linux.

Anyone have any advice to offer?

Then add HTML5 to your List, and i Suggest using it,
more if you like C++ google for HTML5 Native Client,
which its a C++ extension, and everything can work Offline.

SledgeHammer_999
October 4th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I really like what Qt has. I was concerned about the licensing stuff. I never really understood the LGPL model that well. I guess I am challenged in that area. LOL.

I think LGPL boils down to this:
Use our code in any way you want. If you modify it then you have to publish the changes. (seek a lawyer if you're going commercial though)

cgroza
October 4th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I for one use wxWidgets.

LinTux
October 4th, 2011, 11:00 PM
While this is not an answer to the asked question, i also want to ask which is better for me to start GUI programming with C. Which one is easier, which one is better for Linux, which one is easier to code with, which framework is more extensive, etc.

SledgeHammer_999
October 5th, 2011, 12:14 AM
If you want to use C then, your only option is Gtk+. wxWidgets and Qt use C++

hakermania
October 5th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Qt for sure