PDA

View Full Version : Itch to upgrade, should I scratch it?

Throne777
October 4th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Woke up today feeling an urge to upgrade from 10.10 to 11.10 (I'm impatient). I figured that as it's not that far away from official release anyway I shouldn't encounter anything too horrific. Am I correct in assuming this?
Or be there monsters ahead?

Paqman
October 4th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Oneiric has been a pretty bumpy ride. My install is currently a bit b0rk and I haven't had time to sort it out. YMMV, but I'd hold off for now. But there's nothing to be lost from throwing the image at a USB and booting it up for a look.

kurt18947
October 4th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I'd wait unless you can dual boot. 11.10 still crashes occasionally for me. Not "I gotta restart this thing" crash but apport(crash reporter) pops up at least once a session; it's not rock stable yet. If you're not counting on the install for real work or if you can dual boot then have a ball. I'm getting along pretty good with Gnome-shell and have installed XFCE4 desktop. I prefer both to Unity but that's a personal choice. Unity seems stable enough I'm just not fond of the work flow.

3Miro
October 4th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't put 11.10 as a main system just yet. There is too much of a risk. I dual-boot between 11.04 and 11.10 and I will not switch until I deem 11.10 stable enough.

Throne777
October 4th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't put 11.10 as a main system just yet. There is too much of a risk. I dual-boot between 11.04 and 11.10 and I will not switch until I deem 11.10 stable enough.

Am I right in thinking that I can't repartition my hard drive with 10.10 already installed because it'll throw up kernel panics?

Paqman
October 4th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Am I right in thinking that I can't repartition my hard drive with 10.10 already installed because it'll throw up kernel panics?

No, partition away. You could have 50 distros installed if you had room.

3Miro
October 4th, 2011, 03:17 PM

Repartitioning a harddrive with an OS already installed can be tricky. I would make sure to backup everything important first.

Having said that, I have repartitioned my HDD with various Linux distros installed without getting kernel panic. Depending on how you do it, you may have to edit /etc/fstab and reinstall grub, but that's about it.

If I have one partition with 11.04 (or 10.10) and I resize it from the back creating another partition, then install 11.10 on the newly created partition, everything should work fine.

Again, it depends on what you are doing and how. In either case, you should make sure to backup all important data.

CharlesA
October 4th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Repartitioning a harddrive with an OS already installed can be tricky. I would make sure to backup everything important first.

Always have a backup. :)

I've done the same. My thing now is "If it's not broke, don't fix it."