PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] thumbnails stopped showing

gogolink
October 4th, 2011, 12:07 PM
A couple of days ago all of a sudden (as far as I can tell) my picture- and video-files do no longer show as pictures either on my desktop, or in Nautilus' "Icon View." All I see are the generic thumbnails for the respective file types -- which really affects my ability to quickly browse the contents of a picture folder.

I'm on 10.10. I'm not aware of any changes I made that might have caused this.

Any ideas?

~!geek!~
October 4th, 2011, 01:42 PM
A couple of days ago all of a sudden (as far as I can tell) my picture- and video-files do no longer show as pictures either on my desktop, or in Nautilus' "Icon View." All I see are the generic thumbnails for the respective file types -- which really affects my ability to quickly browse the contents of a picture folder.

I'm on 10.10. I'm not aware of any changes I made that might have caused this.

Any ideas?

Did you try preference settings in nautilus!! Edit->Preferences->Preview
Change the configurations, if they are not set as you want!

gogolink
October 4th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Thank you, that was it. I feel a bit embarrassed now: I had actually changed the preference settings to 'Preview: Show Thumbnails - Never' in order to speed up Nautilus; had forgotten about it. Now that I reversed that, the thumbnails show again.

Krytarik
October 4th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I had actually changed the preference settings to 'Preview: Show Thumbnails - Never' in order to speed up Nautilus; had forgotten about it.
You could try Thunar, or even PCManFM, both are way faster than Nautilus in generating/showing image thumbnails, and therefore don't lock up the browser window during that process. Both are in the official repos, see for yourself which fits your personal needs/taste better. :P

Greetings.

gogolink
October 5th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Thanks, Krytarik, for your suggestions; I installed Thunar and quite like it -- though I will not immediately use it as my primary file manager, as I use Dropbox and it seems a bit complicated to get the icon overlays and context menu entries integrated into Thunar. (I found this post: http://softwarebakery.com/maato/thunar-dropbox.html, but I'm not used to building from tar balls.)

I used PCManFM in the past, but missed some functionality and don't love its looks.

Krytarik
October 5th, 2011, 02:07 AM
I used PCManFM in the past, but missed some functionality and don't love its looks.
Yeah, me neither, at least reg. the looks part :P , but upon comparing the features earlier when I did my previous post, I didn't notice too much of a difference. Moreover, PCManFM has at least a search feature included, which is missing completely in Thunar, not even the most basic one, like in Nautilus; was really stunned when I noticed that a while back when I first tried Thunar. But yes, I still prefer Thunar over PCManFM, too. However, I, too, don't use it as my main file browser, but at least when I'm going for the "/usr/share/icons" directory. ;-)

Rgibbons
December 1st, 2011, 01:40 PM
I had the same problem with missing thumbnails for my folders and files. Switching to 2D solved my issue.