PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to 11.04 from 10.10 fails

Azrael84
October 4th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Hi, I'm having some issues upgrading from 10.10 to 11.04, the message I get is:
Could not calculate the upgrade An unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade: E:Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages. This can be caused by: * Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu * Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu * Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu If none of this applies, then please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the files in /var/log/dist-upgrade/ in the bug report. Anyone know how I can fix this and perform the upgrade? thanks

dino99
October 4th, 2011, 12:37 PM
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get autoremove

sudo synaptic
only use genuine ubuntu repo (desactivate the others if any) and check for broken package(s)

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh -a
sudo apt-get update

Azrael84
October 4th, 2011, 03:46 PM
sudo synaptic
only use genuine ubuntu repo (desactivate the others if any) and check for broken package(s)

To do this in synaptic I just go to settings > repositories and under other software deselect everything (spotify/ppa. etc)? I tried this an then did sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh -a
sudo apt-get update, but still got the same error.

Should I be doing something else? how do I check for broken packages and only use ubuntu repositories otherwise?

Azrael84
October 4th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I've been looking at the upgrade log:

2011-10-04 15:42:35,658 DEBUG Installing 'xserver-xorg-video-all' (Distro KeepInstalledPkgs rule)
2011-10-04 15:44:15,822 ERROR Dist-upgrade failed: 'E:Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.'
2011-10-04 15:44:15,825 DEBUG abort called

does this mean this is what is holding things back? how do I sort this if so?

MAFoElffen
October 5th, 2011, 01:12 AM
I've been looking at the upgrade log:

does this mean this is what is holding things back? how do I sort this if so?

sudo apt-get update

Will refresh the update cache...

sudo apt-get check

Will check for broken dependencies...

sudo apt-get -f

Will try to repair any broken dependencies...

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Will analyze and try to resolve any unmet dependencies...

Azrael84
October 7th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I installed a lot of stuff and it all went through perfectly then, thanks alot.