PDA

View Full Version : Looking for free public ftp

Frozen Forest
October 4th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I'm looking for a free ftp server where password or similar authentication is required for uploading files to an account but where the files can be viewed by anyone. I upload files to this server then I get a link that I can share with others, something similar to http://photobucket.com/ but with files. I will be using a bash script for uploading so I guess that ftp is necessary.

I wont be needing the account more then 4 weeks, so it isn't required that the server save the files indefinitely. Any proposals on ftp servers?

LowSky
October 4th, 2011, 10:31 AM
what about dropbox?

Pynalysis
October 4th, 2011, 11:01 AM
what about dropbox?

+1 Dropbox

Frozen Forest
October 5th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Dropbox work perfectly, thanks

donkyhotay
October 5th, 2011, 02:53 PM
You could of course simply run your own! (c; Seriously though, for quick and easy dropbox is undoubtedly your best option as previously mentioned.

a2j
October 5th, 2011, 03:02 PM
You could of course simply run your own!

+1. that way you set your own limits (size, type, file count, etc)
works great for me

forrestcupp
October 5th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Unless I'm misunderstanding the OP, Dropbox doesn't fit the description. With Dropbox, not just anyone can access the files, but only people specifically invited to share the folder. Then they have to have Dropbox installed to participate. Also, anyone sharing the folder has complete access to upload or manipulate those files. Dropbox is not just something where one person has the right to upload things, and everyone else in the world has read-only rights. You could upload a file, and anyone sharing could just delete that file if they wanted.

But since the OP said Dropbox is perfect, I must have misunderstood.

Dry Lips
October 5th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Unless I'm misunderstanding the OP, Dropbox doesn't fit the description. With Dropbox, not just anyone can access the files, but only people specifically invited to share the folder. Then they have to have Dropbox installed to participate. Also, anyone sharing the folder has complete access to upload or manipulate those files. Dropbox is not just something where one person has the right to upload things, and everyone else in the world has read-only rights. You could upload a file, and anyone sharing could just delete that file if they wanted.

But since the OP said Dropbox is perfect, I must have misunderstood.

You don't have to share a folder in dropbox, you can also put stuff in your
public folder and share the url...

forrestcupp
October 5th, 2011, 09:14 PM
You don't have to share a folder in dropbox, you can also put stuff in your
public folder and share the url...

Hmm. Nice to know. So if I give out the url to my public folder, it will be read only to everyone?

Dry Lips
October 5th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Hmm. Nice to know. So if I give out the url to my public folder, it will be read only to everyone?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32217948/Can%20you%20delete%20me.txt