PDA

View Full Version : Use WiFi? You are infringing!

Porcini M.
October 4th, 2011, 03:47 AM
http://patentexaminer.org/2011/09/innovatios-infringement-suit-rampage-expands-to-corporate-hotels/

They're not going after residential users yet though...

halibaitor
October 4th, 2011, 04:00 AM
So how does one tell if the router they are using has any patent connections to Innovatio?

Are they claiming patent rights to all wireless routers, or what?

If you purchase a device that has a patent attached, isn't there an implied right to use it? How can they sue just for using WIFI? I don't get it...

Porcini M.
October 4th, 2011, 04:12 AM
The patents appear to apply to wireless networking in general, not to particular devices.

alphacrucis2
October 4th, 2011, 04:27 AM
So how does one tell if the router they are using has any patent connections to Innovatio?

Are they claiming patent rights to all wireless routers, or what?

If you purchase a device that has a patent attached, isn't there an implied right to use it? How can they sue just for using WIFI? I don't get it...

Appears they are claiming that any wifi infringes on their patents. The article suggests that Cisco and Motorola Solutions (is the latter part of google now?) have filed to have Innovatio's claim declared invalid.

Dr. C
October 4th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Time to resurrect that old PCMCIA dial up modem when traveling in the United States.

halibaitor
October 4th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Time to resurrect that old PCMCIA dial up modem when traveling in the United States.

Wouldn't that be a lot of fun?

I'm willing to bet that the manufacturers of the routers paid royalties to get permission to build the devices. So how is our using them a violation of any patent rights? Sounds to me like a simple scam. :evil:

MonolithImmortal
October 4th, 2011, 05:17 AM
I highly doubt that will become necessary.

BBQdave
October 4th, 2011, 05:53 AM
I'm willing to bet that the manufacturers of the routers paid royalties to get permission to build the devices. So how is our using them a violation of any patent rights? Sounds to me like a simple scam. :evil:

Absolutely a scam. They are blanketing law suits throughout the U.S. to smaller business's that have enough to pay, but not enough for a long (meaningless) court battle. Simple math: it costs less to pay the extortion money than to go to court.

This obviously is ridiculously stupid, but shows a larger problem of our damaged patent system; and the new tech business here in the U.S. (patent troll companies staffed only by lawyers).

I'm curious of the exact moment when we (here in the U.S.) dull down our innovation to the point that the rest of the world stops laughing and just moves on.

Hmmm.... years of impeding R&D through litigation here in the U.S. At least we will be fat with lawyers.

And good luck patent trolling China and the EU.:p

Primefalcon
October 4th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Do you use Wi-Fi? (wireless networking), if yo do Innovattio says you infringe their patents.....

http://www.techdirt.com/blog/wireless/articles/20111001/00365416161/patent-troll-says-anyone-using-wifi-infringes-wont-sue-individuals-this-stage.shtml

Sounds like the same tactic Microsoft are using with Android and Linux tbh

3rdalbum
October 4th, 2011, 11:40 AM
The CSIRO claims to have patents on wifi. Both the chipset manufacturers AND the makers of shipping devices (such as laptops, smartphones and USB dongles) have to pay protection money to the CSIRO.

3rdalbum
October 4th, 2011, 11:42 AM
No, it'll just sue chipset manufacturers and end-product manufacturers for protection money, like the CSIRO threatened to do.

As soon as a non-patent-encumbered alternative to Wifi becomes available, I'm switching straight away. I don't care if it can't reach Wireless G speed; if it's a workable alternative and not covered by patents, I'm switching in a heartbeat.

coffeecat
October 4th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Merged two similar threads.

Lars Noodén
October 4th, 2011, 12:08 PM
This is just yet another example of the problem of allowing patents on software and methods.

If you are registered to vote in the US, then consider signing the petition to end software patents (http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/petition-the-white-house-to-end-software-patents). It's a symbolic step but a step nonetheless.

el_koraco
October 4th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I'm curious of the exact moment when we (here in the U.S.) dull down our innovation to the point that the rest of the world stops laughing and just moves on.

Well, since your government is working on getting Netflix and pr0n access to the whole country, while the Chinese are investing billions in nano-technology, the time is coming. Which has little to do with patents, theestypese lawsuits are counted as cost of doing business.

undecim
October 4th, 2011, 03:25 PM
The company is demanding a one-time lump sum licensing payment between $2,300 and $5,000 from each of the several hundred defendants targeted in its lawsuits, McAndrews said. Some of the defendants have already settled, he added.

I'm not sure which is worse: Patent trolls, or people who encourage them by feeding them.

(NOTE TO SELF: Acquire a patent that encompasses all electronic communication.)

Erik1984
October 4th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Patenttrolololo

forrestcupp
October 4th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Kevin Flynn came up with the idea for wifi back in '85. ;)

keithpeter
October 4th, 2011, 07:27 PM
This is just yet another example of the problem of allowing patents on software and methods.

If you are registered to vote in the US, then consider signing the petition to end software patents (http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/petition-the-white-house-to-end-software-patents). It's a symbolic step but a step nonetheless.

Hello All

I think people in the US should consider signing the petition. I signed the relevant one in Europe to try to persuade our governments not to introduce software patents. They decided not to allow them, but I'm not sure how much influence the campaign had on that.

However, WiFi isn't software. It's good old hardware. In theory, such a patent could run in the UK. In practice, because of the way patent suits are handled in European countries, these people would never get to court. I'd love to read the transcript of the hearing when one of these patent troll companies take a case to the UK Patents Court.