PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to remove Unity and Gnome3 and go back to Gnome2

jonnyboysmithy
October 3rd, 2011, 09:53 PM
I have gnome3 and unity installed and working fine but its just too much for my hardware. Its just plain slow to do anything.
How can I remove gnome3 and unity and go back to the old Gnome2?

FYI:
At the moment I'm running 11.10 because I couldn't install the proprietary driver manually or automatically in 11.04 (thanks to bug:https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-96/+bug/807158), thats why I'm now on 11.10.

MARP1961
October 3rd, 2011, 11:08 PM
By far the simplest way of achieving this would be to download Lucid Lynx 10.04 and do a fresh install. This 'downgrade' will give you the longest lasting Gnome 2.

Alternatively, wait for Oneiric Ocelot 11.10 next week and install Gnome Shell but use the forced fallback for Gnome 3.

The XFCE desktop of Xubuntu will give you a pale imitation of Gnome - a sort of 'Gnome 2 Lite.'

With Linux there are always options.

Krytarik
October 3rd, 2011, 11:14 PM
Hi there again, Jotham!

Yeah, I already noticed you commenting - and re-opening - those bug report earlier. Honestly, I was stunned how SÚrgio came to the idea of marking those as 'invalid' in the first place. As the bug was already reported back in early July, and we encountered those only two weeks ago. And I didn't notice any change here (http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/nvidia-96) either since then.

Anyway, the only way back to Gnome 2 is to install Natty 11.04 again. And I definitely wouldn't do that if I were you. Why don't you just install the Gnome Fallback Sessions (package "gnome-session-fallback")!? They are similar to the classic Gnome sessions of Natty 11.04; in one you can run Compiz, and the other one is without effects.

Greetings.

jonnyboysmithy
October 3rd, 2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks, might try that, depending on if that bug effects 10.04:???:

Krytarik
October 3rd, 2011, 11:22 PM
Thanks, might try that, depending on if that bug effects 10.04
Nope, it doesn't, this is a specific issue with the Natty repos. And you may remember me saying that I'm happily running the "nvidia-96" in my Lucid 10.04. Well, maybe I didn't say "happily", but still, it runs fine as ever. :P

And +1 for that idea if you want to go back that far. As I'm planning to stick with my Lucid until its support ends, at least (which is the end of April 2013). :D

jonnyboysmithy
October 3rd, 2011, 11:31 PM
Hi there again, Jotham!

Yeah, I already noticed you commenting - and re-opening - those bug report earlier. Honestly, I was stunned how SÚrgio came to the idea of marking those as 'invalid' in the first place. As the bug was already reported back in early July, and we encountered those only two weeks ago. And I didn't notice any change here (http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/nvidia-96) either since then.

Anyway, the only way back to Gnome 2 is to install Natty 11.04 again. And I definitely wouldn't do that if I were you. Why don't you just install the Gnome Fallback Sessions (package "gnome-session-fallback")!? They are similar to the classic Gnome sessions of Natty 11.04; in one you can run Compiz, and the other one is without effects.

Greetings.Thank you!
If I installed 11.10 beta and installed all the avaliable updates, its the same as having the the latest release of 11.10?

jonnyboysmithy
October 3rd, 2011, 11:36 PM
Right, going back to 10.04!!:smile::smile::smile:

Krytarik
October 3rd, 2011, 11:40 PM
If I installed 11.10 beta and installed all the avaliable updates, its the same as having the the latest release of 11.10?
Yep, and you will eventually be upgraded to the 'release' packages.

... Anyway, just noticed your next message, so welcome to the Lucid hideout! :D

Flymo
October 4th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Darn, if it doesn't look like 'by 'bye 'buntu. <sigh>

Even if the Unity thing did what we wanted, it only runs well on one of our many and varied machines. Been wrestling with it on Live CD every time I get a chance, in the hopes that light will dawn. That's over 6 months now, and 11.10 Beta 2 seems just as obscure and unhelpful as on my first puzzled attempt to use Unity. Unfortunate name, that.

Instead of a Natty installation on a spare partition, we have had Bodhi Linux in two spare partitions, so that I can play about a bit.
Yes, I do like E17, and I like Fluxbox, and Ubuntu Netbook Remix (on smaller displays), and Gnome 2, KDE 3, LXDE, XFCE in no particular order.

Xubuntu is pretty good, imho. Neat little things like the low-overhead transparency and the group renaming in Thunar do appeal to me. But menus are still hard work, I must admit. Lubuntu is OK too, but not on LTS yet.

So we're sticking with Lucid for now, and maybe I'll be settled in with the (surprisingly stable) Bodhi and the low-RAM high-bling E17 by the time Lucid runs out of support.

Hope yours works well for you!

jonnyboysmithy
October 5th, 2011, 09:09 AM
After some use I like it a lot better than the 11.10, just more responsive, usable and familiar.
Edit: Thanks for the advice guys!