PDA

View Full Version : Have scammers gotten lazy lately?

whiskeylover
October 3rd, 2011, 07:06 PM
I am contacting you for a business deal in my bank. I need your partnership as a foreigner to execute it, If you are interested contact me for more details.

That is all... no Nigerian story about a troubled princess or anything. :(

cprofitt
October 3rd, 2011, 07:15 PM
Less is more.

oldsoundguy
October 3rd, 2011, 07:23 PM
The more successful the smarter and more literate of the scammers become, INSPIRES the stupid and illiterate .. And, of course, since the target of the scam is really dumb people, it makes little difference. ....... just remember .. even the stupid have the vote.

3Miro
October 3rd, 2011, 09:30 PM
Compared to the grammar of the regular scams (or the lack thereof), this is Shakespeare masterpiece.

Dangertux
October 3rd, 2011, 10:33 PM
Compared to the grammar of the regular scams (or the lack thereof), this is Shakespeare masterpiece.

LOL I like it :-)

I think though they're basing it on law of averages not so much laziness. I think shorter messages means they can cover more ground thus more likely potential success. Just my thought.

ninjaaron
October 3rd, 2011, 11:02 PM
I got a really good one today. Some scammer hacked an email account of one of my contacts and sent a short message about some news story she read with a link. The message was a little uncharacteristic of her, but I followed the link. It looked like a totally legit news site, but the article read a little more like an add than something you would expect to find in the news. I clicked a few links around the news site, and only then did I find that they all lead to this company's website (if it's really a company at all), and didn't actually point to any real news.

I was actually interested in the pitch for a minute, but too many things weren't adding up. I'm 100% sure someone will get taken by it. I felt proud of the scammer. He deserves to get a few people. Course, he also deserves to go to prison, so I'm a little torn.

StephanG
October 4th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I felt proud of the scammer. He deserves to get a few people. Course, he also deserves to go to prison, so I'm a little torn.

LOL!

Agree, totally. Maybe both should happen. He scams a few people, then when he gets arrested, his funds are frozen and redistributed to charities.

I would say that scammers should give back the money they stole to the people they stole it from. But... If you're dumb enough to send someone you've never met your banking details because of some promise... Then, there are probably people out there that would put it to better uses.

Evil-Ernie
October 4th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I have been seeing less scam spam recentally, I think they are looking for new ways and angles as they are probably loosing effectiveness from these types of scam.

Yeah people have to be pretty naive to fall for these cons but even though its exploitation of the stupid its still exploitation and I feel no empathy for the scammers at all.

Dry Lips
October 4th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I got this gem a couple of days ago... Actually this is the first e-mail scam
ever to hit my mailbox. The only other scam I've personally come across
was a SMS for a fake iPhone competition... Well, here goes:

My Dear,Is Very Urgent Please

This is very serious, My Name is Mr ************, From the Republic of
Togo, I will like to ask for your assistance to resolve and transfer into
your account the total sum $18.5 Million Dollars.
Now my questions are:-

1. Can you handle this project................
2. Can I give you this trust......................
3. What will be your commission..............
Your full names............................................. ............
Your phone/fax number..........................................

If you can sponsor and handle this project consider it and get back to me
as soon as possible. But if you are not interested do not bother to
respond.Contact me directly on my private email: **************

Regards.
Mr ****************
Contact me directly on my private email:*********************

tadcan
October 4th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I read that the bad grammar is on purpose to lull the victim into thinking they are smarter. Never got the logic myself, maybe it doesn't work anymore.