PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] thinkpad trackpad scrolls by pages instead of lines only in firefox

roxyland
October 3rd, 2011, 11:03 AM
In 11.04, using firefox 7.0.1 I just can't get firefox to scroll like other applications. I'm using a thinkpad ( t410 ) and the trackpad has 2 finger scroll ( I also use an Apple magic trackpad ). They both work perfectly fine on all other applications ( including Chromium ), but firefox just scrolls by pages or so it seems as the scroll's just blitzing fast.

I've tried playing around with the following settings in firefox which does nothing. So something's over ridden browser settings at the system level, but it doesn't affect any other application.
mousewheel.withnokey.action 0
mousewheel.withnokey.numlines 3
mousewheel.withnokey.sysnumlines false

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling firefox, blowing away all local configs without any effect. Even changing 'Mouse Preferences' for 'touchpad' doesn't seem to do anything.

Incidentally scrolling is actually disabled in 'Mouse Preferences' for the 'touchpad' but I can still '2-finger' scroll in all applications ! So there's obviously some place else that controls scroll features.

Does anyone know of a system level setting that controls scrolling and what might be over-riding Firefox AND 'Mouse Preferences' ?

btw these things had been working fine for the past few weeks till I decided to ditch Unity and go to Classic with AWN. Something must have broken in the process, but it looks like there's multiple control mechanisms fighting for the same resource and there's no central way of controlling a basic desktop setting.

Thank you for looking : )