PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Power Button doesn't work?

ojdon
October 3rd, 2011, 09:26 AM
Hi there, I am using Lubuntu 11.04 on my Acer Aspire One A150/ZG5 the only issue I have come across is that the Power Button does not work in LXDE.

Is there anyway to active LXSession-logout when the power button has been pressed?

kerry_s
October 3rd, 2011, 09:57 AM
Go to /usr/share/applications & launch power manager, there you can set the button options.
It's gnome power manager which doesn't show in the menu but is installed & does work.

ojdon
October 3rd, 2011, 12:02 PM
I don't seem t have it installed. Is there a alternative that isn't GNOME based?

cavalier911
October 3rd, 2011, 08:03 PM
gnome-power-preferences is on the Lubuntu live cd and is a default package on a Lubuntu hard drive install.

Launch from terminal:

gnome-power-preferences

Add shortcut Menu/Preferences/Power Management:

sudo leafpad /usr/share/applications/gnome-power-preferences.desktop
Put # in front of this line:
OnlyShowIn=GNOME;XFCE;
Like this:
#OnlyShowIn=GNOME;XFCE;
Save/Quit

ojdon
October 3rd, 2011, 09:47 PM
It isn't currently installed, I'll install it if I really have to, but I was wondering if there was any way to do it in a GNOME-free environment.

kerry_s
October 5th, 2011, 09:10 AM
It isn't currently installed, I'll install it if I really have to, but I was wondering if there was any way to do it in a GNOME-free environment.

You can use xfce4 power manager to do the same thing, I don't have a computer anymore, so I can't give exact instructions.

ojdon
October 5th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Solution:

I found a way of getting some form of function for pressing the power button to shutdown in LXDE, without the need of installing packages from other Desktop Environments. simply install acpid. Just open up the terminal and enter in:

sudo apt-get install acpid

Now when the power button is pressed the computer will shutdown. That'll do for me. Thanks for your suggestions by the way everyone.