PDA

View Full Version : Flashplayer 64-bit/Goodle chrome install?

MagnetsNextToMotherboard
October 3rd, 2011, 03:42 AM
Hello, I'm trying to make sure I get the 64-bit version of flashplayer installed so I installed the file from their website here: labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer11.html

I chose specifically under "Flash Player 11 Candidate 64-bit Installers" the, "Download plug-in for Linux 64-bit" and extracted the files to my desktop, now I have the "usr" and "libflashplayer.so"

How do I install it to Google Chrome? I have 64-bit Google Chrome, it just doesn't have the 64-bit flash player.

Either the terminal command or an alternative way to install it would be nice. I was going to install it from the Ubuntu Software Center, but I'm not sure if It'll be 64-bit then. Thank you.

dave01945
October 3rd, 2011, 03:54 AM
google chrome is a .deb file so just click it and software centre will install it if you would rather install it with command line then

cd /path/to/googlechrome.deb
dpkg -i googlechrome.deb

obviously change the path to where you downloaded the .deb file and change googlechrome.deb to the name of the .deb file

and to install the flash plugin just copy the libflashplayer.so file to /opt/google/chrome

MagnetsNextToMotherboard
October 3rd, 2011, 04:08 AM
What is a .deb? I just installed it where ever it installs the default. The only thing I haven't done as default is where I extracted the flash player file I extracted it to my desktop.

garvinrick4
October 3rd, 2011, 04:12 AM
You still have firefox installed?

MagnetsNextToMotherboard
October 3rd, 2011, 04:13 AM
Yes, I still have firefox installed. But I dislike it very mutch.

dave01945
October 3rd, 2011, 04:14 AM
a .deb is a software install file abit like a .exe in windows if you have already installed google chrome then you just need to do the second part and move libflashplayer.so to /opt/gogle/chrome/

also how did you install google chrome

i agree with you on firefox i dislike it aswell

MagnetsNextToMotherboard
October 3rd, 2011, 04:16 AM
I installed google chrome off of the website, and chose the 64-bit version here: http://www.google.com/chrome#eula

garvinrick4
October 3rd, 2011, 04:17 AM
From within directory of wheren your flash is extracted run this code below or drop libflashplayer.so in /user/lib/mozilla/plugins/ (restart your browsers) Chrome will have flash along with Firefox.
Hope your removed other versions of Flash if you had installed previously.

sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ If you have installed before and want to remove and put 64 bit rc1 just use flash aid in add-ons in firefox will remove all remnents of flash and install 64 bit if you choose it. It runs the script for you. Chrome will work also.
## If above code has you running enjoy you Ubuntu

MagnetsNextToMotherboard
October 3rd, 2011, 04:24 AM
"From within directory of wheren your flash is extracted" I don't understand this, I'm very sorry I'm new to Ubuntu.

garvinrick4
October 3rd, 2011, 04:26 AM
If your libflashplayer.so is on your Desktop

cd Desktop
sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

If it is in Downloads
cd Downloads
Now the code, get it where ever it is you change directorys to there (cd Desktop) or (cd Downloads) or (cd Documents)

MagnetsNextToMotherboard
October 3rd, 2011, 04:30 AM
Is there a way I can screenshot my terminal?

MagnetsNextToMotherboard
October 3rd, 2011, 04:35 AM
Is there a way to screenshot my terminal to show you guys?

garvinrick4
October 3rd, 2011, 04:38 AM
Open firefox and go to Tools to addons to type flash aid in search window install it as shown.
restart firefox will be a little red circle with f in the middle in upper right of firefox
screen. Click on it and choose the one of three choices to run script, the click on it and
it will do it all for you. No fuss no muss. Until you read up on what a terminal is and
how to change directorys and linux 101 things, is a pdf book in my signature that
you can read that will tell you about the file system
Same as Windows, Linux also has a learning curve. Enjoy your Ubuntu

mikewhatever
October 3rd, 2011, 04:47 AM
"From within directory of wheren your flash is extracted" I don't understand this, I'm very sorry I'm new to Ubuntu.

Copy the libflashplayer.so file to the desktop folder, then:

sudo cp ~/Desktop/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

...when asked, enter the password and hit Enter.

MagnetsNextToMotherboard
October 3rd, 2011, 05:03 AM
I got to the step where I'm supposed to click the red circle with the f on it and I tried but it just goes blurry (The box.) and when I click it does nothing. It appears to have installed. But the box said there were updates. Is there a simple way to install it?

garvinrick4
October 3rd, 2011, 05:28 AM
Restart firefox and then click on red circle with f in the middle and should give you 3 choices of install like rooky to advanced type selections. Select one and follow simple
instructions. If any more problems just hollar. We will get your flash installed , have you installed already once and now trying to do 64 bit?

Bluesan
October 3rd, 2011, 10:44 AM
This might be the easiest way to get 64-bit flash:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/Flash

Edit:

It works fine with both Firefox and Chrome/Chromium.

F.G.
October 3rd, 2011, 11:12 AM
so, i use the firefox flash-aid plugin method with both my computers, they're both 64 bit machines and work with chromium. flash-aid also removes previous versions, which i think is necessary.

if you've got flash-aid installed in firefox (you can see the red circle with the 'f') you're almost done.

if you want to use screenshots it's easy, you just press the 'PRTSC' button (usually top right-ish) for the whole screen or alt+PRTSC for just a window. if you can't find or don't have that button. you can also got to:
Applications > Accessories > Take Screenshot

andyvy
October 3rd, 2011, 04:59 PM
You can't install Chrome or Flash?

Chrome is simple, download file from www.google.com/chrome and double click on it. 32 or 64 bit doesn't matter.

Flash won't work?

Open Chrome in a new tab type:

chrome://flash/

Should see something like this;
Flash plugin 10.3 r183 /var/lib/flashplugin-installer/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so

If it says Flash Plugin - Disabled you have to install Flash.

Open Terminal;

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree flashplugin-installer

You can also delete any existing Flash installations to make sure you're doing a clean install.

sudo apt-get purge flash*

Hope that helps.

andyvy
October 3rd, 2011, 05:02 PM
Oh, also;

Maybe try Chromium http://www.chromium.org/.

In case you want to remove Chrome as well and do fresh install before Flash:

sudo apt-get purge google-chrome* chrome*