PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu + GNOME 3

masaharustin
October 3rd, 2011, 02:18 AM
I decided that I like GNOME 3 when trying out Fedora. What I don't like about Fedora is the lack of a software center (like Ubuntu's) and the weird seLinux that did nothing but get in my way.

I found some guides like this one (http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-GNOME-3-on-Ubuntu-11-04-194085.shtml) that show you how to install GNOME 3 on ubuntu. As far as I can tell they all give the same commands. The problem is whenever I do this, upon reboot, the login screen is messed up (kinda looks like windows 95). I can still log in to unity and gnome classic but not gnome 3.

Please help.

Thanks,
masaharustin

Krytarik
October 3rd, 2011, 02:30 AM
Honestly, by now, I would rather install the Beta 2 of the next Ubuntu version, Oneiric Ocelot 11.10, or wait until it's released on October 13th, as it's based on Gnome 3.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OneiricOcelot/TechnicalOverview/Beta2

Greetings.

3Miro
October 3rd, 2011, 05:27 PM
I am with Krytarik on this one.

Ubuntu 11.04 and earlier come with Gnome 2 and while installing Gnome 3 is possible, it is tricky and you are running a high risk of breaking your system.

Ubuntu 11.10 will be released this month and it will come with Gnome 3 and Unity. You will be able to install Gnome-shell from the Software Center (gnome-shell is the interface that you saw on Fedora). You should note that you can install 11.10 now, but it is in a beta stage and I don't think Gnome-shell is working right now.

Krytarik
October 3rd, 2011, 07:42 PM
You should note that you can install 11.10 now, but it is in a beta stage and I don't think Gnome-shell is working right now.
Well, it works, I've seen it. But as always with pre-release versions, you never know how well everything (!) works. :p

MARP1961
October 3rd, 2011, 11:15 PM
Just wait until next week, download and install Oneiric Ocelot, visit the Ubuntu Software Centre and install Gnome-Shell. Log out then back in again selecting the 'Gnome' option instead of the default 'Ubuntu' (Unity).

sanderd17
October 3rd, 2011, 11:20 PM
I have used gNatty (a gnome shell remix of natty) before, but for now, I would advise to install the beta or to wait 8 days and install the final.

Currently I'm using GS 3.2 on Arch and it works very well, but I would not advise it to anyone who isn't able to live in the Command line.