PDA

View Full Version : Why Google+ Circles are pointless.

Isaacgallegos
October 2nd, 2011, 09:43 PM
I loved the idea of circles. By the time I got on Google Plus I found some friends and family were already there, posting stuff.

After adding them to the correct circles, I did what most of you would do, find my Ubuntu community on Google Plus. After all, they're everywhere.

I found some "Shared" circles, which I could quickly add to my collection.

I noticed that my ubuntu circle had more random stuff posted in it than actual ubuntu content. No problem right? Who cares.

I decide I want to make Python and Art circles. I noticed something after I started following people in those.

My Ubuntu and Python circles both had random junk being posted to them constantly. My art circle ONLY had art stuff being posted to it.

Did I make a mistake with my Ubuntu and Python circle?

I asked around what the problem was. It was this.

Two things have to happen if you want to have an Ubuntu circle.
1) you need to placed into an Ubuntu circle by someone.
2) they can't make public posts that aren't Ubuntu related (This rare). Everyone in your circles are forced to read your Public posts, if they follow you.

What I ended up doing was finding 3 people that actually would only share Ubuntu related info with me and nothing else. <- how an Ubuntu circle should work. However, it's only 3 people.

What I could do:
Add a bunch of Ubuntu users and watch a stream of LOLcats and people taking random photos or just really not use G+ at all, except with friends, family, and a few people that know how to use circles.

Easy choice.

------------------------------------------------------

Related news to this:

Google is trying to figure out why G+ users aren't posting as many public posts as they once did. My belief: people are figuring out how to use G+, by not making so many Public posts. People that know how to use circles don't make as many.

If you ask people on G+ why they just don't make the same posts to their circles, instead of pushing it all over the web, using +Public, they won't see the point of it.
Her's what I got in a reply:

The only reason I have circles is because G+ pushed it on me. I don't even know why I have 'em except I've figured out how to keep my stream to a reasonable hum because of circles.

I mean, why would I post to a limited set of users? ...no... why are even using G+ if you can't figure out circles?!!
---------------------------------------

So if you really want to try G+, ignore circles. They mean almost nothing. Post as many public posts as you want and circle/friend as many people as you can click on. The random stream of junk will just increase with out any organization. Any "community" circle will be indistinguishable from any of your others.

I see people +Publicly posting they LOVE G+.. when they're following several hundred users. ?!

edit:
I've added a picture that could solve this and many other problems:

Ms_Angel_D
October 3rd, 2011, 12:19 AM
Google+ like facebook is a social network. Circles are not pointless as they allow you to decide who sees which content you are posting. Such as not wanting your mom to see you talking to your friends about that party you went too.

If your looking for groups which post only items related to a specific topic I suggest you check out identi.ca (http://identi.ca).

Isaacgallegos
October 3rd, 2011, 12:22 AM
Circles are not pointless as they allow you to decide who sees which content you are posting.

I don't see how this is an argument... Yes they do this too. I agree.

uRock
October 3rd, 2011, 12:24 AM
I share everything with everyone for the most part. I don't add just anyone to circles and the people I do have added are thought of as friends, so I do not mind sharing. If I have something I feel should only be seen by a select few, then I will use custom settings, but I don't bother with changing circles with every post.

LMP900
October 3rd, 2011, 12:24 AM
I really like Google+'s implementation of circles. If I'm posting something that my real-life friends will find unbelievably boring, I'll just post it to my tech circles. For inside jokes, I'll post to my friends only.

If you want only Ubuntu posts, just use a smart search: https://plus.google.com/s/Ubuntu/posts

You can even save them to your sidebar:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u150/bperedo/Screenshot-7.png

Isaacgallegos
October 3rd, 2011, 12:28 AM
I really like Google+'s implementation of circles. If I'm posting something that my real-life friends will find unbelievably boring, I'll just post it to my tech circles. For inside jokes, I'll post to my friends only.

If you want only Ubuntu posts, just use a smart search: https://plus.google.com/s/Ubuntu/posts

You can even save them to your sidebar:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u150/bperedo/Screenshot-7.png

Yeah, that's a cool idea. Still, I don't want to flood people that have circled me with Ubuntu posts, posting public.

Isaacgallegos
October 3rd, 2011, 12:30 AM
I share everything with everyone for the most part. I don't add just anyone to circles and the people I do have added are thought of as friends, so I do not mind sharing. If I have something I feel should only be seen by a select few, then I will use custom settings, but I don't bother with changing circles with every post.

My post above says you're ruining G+.

LMP900
October 3rd, 2011, 01:01 AM
Yeah, that's a cool idea. Still, I don't want to flood people that have circled me with Ubuntu posts, posting public.

People are going to post what they want. It's up to you to filter them as you please.

uRock
October 3rd, 2011, 01:11 AM
My post above says you're ruining G+.

No, it says that the people YOU add are ruining G+. I only add friends to my circles. Not random people. People who try to add me who I do not like do not get added.

If I want news about ubuntu, then I check out the mailing list, not G+.

If I do not post public, then people who are not members can not see my pictures.

Isaacgallegos
October 3rd, 2011, 04:43 AM
No, it says that the people YOU add are ruining G+. I only add friends to my circles. Not random people. People who try to add me who I do not like do not get added.

If I want news about ubuntu, then I check out the mailing list, not G+.

If I do not post public, then people who are not members can not see my pictures.
Then you're using it like I am, with no hope of using it for community social networking. Also, I see you've missed the point of my original post, from what you've said in my last sentence.

It's ok. I didn't expect anyone to actually read it all... They're just random words with no meaning.

uRock
October 3rd, 2011, 05:06 AM
Then you're using it like I am, with no hope of using it for community social networking. Also, I see you've missed the point of my original post, from what you've said in my last sentence.

It's ok. I didn't expect anyone to actually read it all... They're just random words with no meaning.

I read it and I explained why I have to share images publicly. I get news from news feeds, not G+.

PS. I am not ruining G+, Facebook is.

lykwydchykyn
October 3rd, 2011, 05:22 AM
I think with time, people will figure out circles for the most part and some social norms will evolve around them. One of the things that burnt me out on facebook was being presented with the minutia of the lives of every person I've ever known. I have to choose between exiling that person from my life, or hearing about how their eggs were cooked at breakfast and how terrible it is that their dog has a cold.

There will always be people who won't get that, and will constantly spam their every thought to world+dog a la twitter, but I think they will be fewer and fewer.

Paqman
October 3rd, 2011, 08:12 AM
What I ended up doing was finding 3 people that actually would only share Ubuntu related info with me and nothing else. <- how an Ubuntu circle should work. However, it's only 3 people.

What I could do:
Add a bunch of Ubuntu users and watch a stream of LOLcats and people taking random photos or just really not use G+ at all, except with friends, family, and a few people that know how to use circles.

I'm not sure I understand your problem. Are you just getting annoyed because you've added a lot of people and you're now seeing all their public posts?

Docaltmed
October 3rd, 2011, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure I understand your problem. Are you just getting annoyed because you've added a lot of people and you're now seeing all their public posts?

Bingo.

As for me, I don't post anything that I don't think the entire world would be interested in reading, so all of my posts are public.

Merk42
October 3rd, 2011, 02:01 PM
Hey Isaacgallegos, I want to add you to Google+, but once I do I demand that you only post about things I want to hear about. If you post things I don't care about, then you're ruining Google+.

sanderd17
October 3rd, 2011, 02:45 PM
I started the Ubuntu Forums circle on G+ thread. I added all people, and if I look to my UF circle posts now, 90% of it is tech related and interesting to read or discuss.

I try to limit my public posts (except for some calls for help), and I post things to the correct circles. I don't want to bother most of my friends with my tech talk, and I don't want to bother you with my private life.

I feel that most people are already doing this, and if someone is not doing it, I wait a bit. If it doesn't get better, well then he's just kicked out.

Note that you also won't see a lot of Ubuntu related info on my wall before I added you. You will only see the public posts, not the Ubuntu related ones.

tumutanzi.com
October 3rd, 2011, 02:46 PM
I have to say, I like Google+ very much, but it seems not so many friends of mine are on Google+, in other words, a good product does not meany a good market.

Isaacgallegos
October 3rd, 2011, 03:30 PM
Hey Isaacgallegos, I want to add you to Google+, but once I do I demand that you only post about things I want to hear about. If you post things I don't care about, then you're ruining Google+.

Yeah. I'll just put you in that circle. Easy, because I don't pollute with Public posts.

Ready my only Public post: https://plus.google.com/116430660445724278113

○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○〇 I'd like to circle you! 〇○○○○○○ ○
〇 Tell me which you want to be in, by commenting below. Just pick one.
〇 Some circles are Classmates, Linux, Artists, Programming, and Music.
〇 If I circle you, please don't spam with lots of random public comments. ●Many people don't know that +Public comments also get sent to your circles!!!

〇○●○○〇○○●○○○○〇○○○〇○○〇 〇 〇〇○○〇○○○〇○○〇〇〇
○○〇○○○〇○○〇〇〇〇○○○〇○〇○○○〇○○○〇○○〇〇〇〇

●●〇〇

I'd rather have only 5 people circled than 50 that don't follow this. So I'm happy. I follow 11 with out problems, though some are family and friends which can post random stuff.