PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Setting up email

computerfox
October 2nd, 2011, 08:11 PM
Hello everyone,

I have one last step to learn how to host multiple domains-email. I can already host and maintain files for multiple domains, but I'm having tons of trouble setting up the emails, maybe I just don't completely understand it.

My set up-I have Dovecot for incoming, which is set up at the moment to accept imap. I would like to make sure I set this up correctly

For smtp, I'm trying to use postfix, but I can't get it to send out email.

I set up an MX with my dns, so I'm certain there's something wrong with my configuration. Again, I've never set up a mail server and would like help. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

computerfox
October 2nd, 2011, 11:53 PM
anyone?

computerfox
October 3rd, 2011, 01:19 AM
some more information of my system to help give me a straight answer-i have ubuntu 6 and i administer my system mostly via webmin. also, it's a ppc. any ideas?

hansdown
October 3rd, 2011, 02:37 AM
Hi computerfox.

Are you running 6.06?

You may have better luck, with a newer version.

10.04 is rock solid, and it has support until 2013.

computerfox
October 3rd, 2011, 02:46 AM
Correct. And agreed. I actually do have a copy of 11, but my server is an old G3 PowerMac PPC, so I can not install 11 on that. So far whatever I researched, it tells me I need some packages, primarily SASL, which I think I managed to install. I'm actually trying to configure it right now, but I just want to make sure I follow the correct steps to setting my mail up on 6. I had somewhat of a success with 10 in the past, but right now I'm stuck with 6. Any ideas?

hansdown
October 3rd, 2011, 03:05 AM
Sorry, I should have asked, if you are using the server edition.

This is the 11.04 server download.

Choose the 64bit download.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/step-by-step-ubuntu-11-04-natty-lamp-server-setup.html

computerfox
October 3rd, 2011, 03:09 AM
:shock: Can you reread my post please.... #-o

hansdown
October 3rd, 2011, 03:24 AM
, but I just want to make sure I follow the correct steps to setting my mail up on 6.

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu_6.06

Please be advised, that 6.06 server, reached end of life in june, 2011.

This means; no more updates.

computerfox
October 4th, 2011, 01:46 AM
okay, so i upgraded a new computer to ubuntu 11 and now all of my domains are messed up.

they all point to the same virtual host.

list of virtual hosts:

foxwebhosting.dyndns.org
foxwebhosting2.dyndns.org
dox2dox.com
computerfoxdesign.net

they all point to computerfoxdesign.net

i have the config files separately in sites-available and sites-enabled.

i remember having this issue a while back, but completely forgot how i fixed it. any ideas?

computerfox
October 4th, 2011, 02:54 AM
nevermind. got it by doing this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1057960

Bucky Ball
October 4th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Long-term support releases recommended for servers. ;)

computerfox
October 4th, 2011, 04:10 AM
agreed!

okay, so now i have everything back up (stupid problem), now i need to start working on the reason i chose to go through this pain-mail. i'm trying to setup mail for multiple domains (obviously) and in the picture is what i have so far. please explain how i can go about fixing this. if i can learn how to do this, i think for the most part i learned the basics of servers and would enable me to continue learning about networks.

i've tried sending a message to myself, but i believe it failed, even though it isn't listed in the queue for mail.

any ideas or suggestions?

computerfox
October 4th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Some more information on my setup- I have my dns setup with zonomi. Would I also have to create a zone and add the mx record or is that step already done if I have an mx with zonomi?