PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unable to install NVIDIA Drivers - 10.04

crbnrod
October 2nd, 2011, 04:16 PM
Installing a new secondary backend (hence using 10.04 so as to avoid updating the rest of the mythboxes) & using nvidia GT430 card stuck into M4A88T-M motherboard.
The restricted drivers manager doesn't give me the option to install the NVIDIA drivers, and if I install them manually through package manager, I just get stuck into low graphics mode upon reboot.
The only think I can think of is the onboard graphics on the mobo are somehow interfering w/the graphics card?

lspci does show an nvidia VGA controller, but it doesn't show the chipset or anything like that as far as I can tell.

So I guess two questions:

1. How can I make sure the system is detecting the device?
2. How the heck do I get the NVIDIA drivers installed?

Thanks for any suggestions.

nickrout
October 2nd, 2011, 07:55 PM
Is there an option in the bios to switch from the onboard to the pci-e graphics adaptor?

Is the nvidia card plugged in properly?

crbnrod
October 2nd, 2011, 10:13 PM
Pretty sure the operating system is using the card. the motherboard's onboard graphics is radeon 4250, and the output of

lspci -nn | grep VGA

gives me

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation Device [10de:0de1] (rev a1)

I did try changing some settings in the BIOS (and then changed them back) to see if that affected anything, but no dice. What strikes me as really weird is I'm actually getting video output through the HDMI out on the card, I just can't adjust the res/overscan/etc.

nickrout
October 2nd, 2011, 11:17 PM
Pretty sure the operating system is using the card. the motherboard's onboard graphics is radeon 4250, and the output of

lspci -nn | grep VGA

gives me

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation Device [10de:0de1] (rev a1)

I did try changing some settings in the BIOS (and then changed them back) to see if that affected anything, but no dice. What strikes me as really weird is I'm actually getting video output through the HDMI out on the card, I just can't adjust the res/overscan/etc.

Sorry I misread your first post I thought you said lspci DOESN'T show the card, my bad.

The logs for X are in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. They will tell you which driver is being used.

It may be that your TV/monitor is not giving good edid info on what resolutions it supports.

It may also be that the version of the nvidia drivers in 10.04 does not support the 430, which is a relatively recent card. What version do you have?
dpkg -l nvidia* should tell you.

crbnrod
October 2nd, 2011, 11:23 PM
I also do not appear to have an xorg.conf file in my /etc/X11 directory.

crbnrod
October 2nd, 2011, 11:36 PM
It may also be that the version of the nvidia drivers in 10.04 does not support the 430, which is a relatively recent card. What version do you have?
dpkg -l nvidia* should tell you.

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
+++-==================-==================-================================================== ==
ii nvidia-173-modalia 173.14.22-0ubuntu1 Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org driver
ii nvidia-96-modalias 96.43.17-0ubuntu1 Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org driver
ii nvidia-common 0.2.23 Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
rc nvidia-current 195.36.24-0ubuntu1 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU l
ii nvidia-current-mod 195.36.24-0ubuntu1 Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org driver
un nvidia-glx-ia32 <none> (no description available)
ii nvidia-kernel-comm 20080825+1ubuntu2 NVIDIA binary kernel module common files
un nvidia-libvdpau <none> (no description available)
un nvidia-libvdpau-ia <none> (no description available)
un nvidia-libvdpau1 <none> (no description available)
un nvidia-settings <none> (no description available)
un nvidia-vdpau-drive <none> (no description available)
un nvidia-vdpau-drive <none> (no description available)

I'm poking around in the Xorg logs right now...there is an error that says "[drm] failed to open device." I'm also not positive here but it appears it ends up loading the VESA driver? I can post the file if that'd be helpful. Thanks a bunch for your assistance.

nickrout
October 3rd, 2011, 12:37 AM
Your card is not supported in nvidia 195.36.24:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/195.36.24/README/supportedchips.html

There are a number of ppa's that give access to later versions of the nvidia drivers.

crbnrod
October 3rd, 2011, 10:42 PM
And we're solved. Thanks for your help.

For future reference:

Added the following to my software sources list:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates/ubuntu lucid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates/ubuntu lucid main
Ran update mgr, then opened restricted drivers menu & nvidia driver was in there, awaiting activation.