PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Storage Device Manager

Aleksiy
October 2nd, 2011, 04:55 AM
After installed Storage Device Manager can not remove "mount file system in read-only mode" option.

Rubi1200
October 2nd, 2011, 10:56 AM
Hi and welcome to the forums :-)

I haven't used this tool but are there options for editing preferences?

Please also provide us with more information such as error messages etc. that would help us.

Thanks.

Copper Bezel
October 2nd, 2011, 12:06 PM
Storage Device Manager, as in pysdm, the GUI fstab editor?

Aleksiy
October 2nd, 2011, 01:39 PM
There is no options for editing preferences

Aleksiy
October 2nd, 2011, 01:41 PM
There is no options for editing preferences

"Storage Device Manager, as in pysdm, the GUI fstab editor?" - Yes

Copper Bezel
October 2nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
So, when you have that partition selected, is the "Assistant" button just grayed out? Can you edit the text in the field?

Aleksiy
October 2nd, 2011, 04:47 PM
Yes I can edit the text in the field, but it does not help. May e I do something wrong, but read-only always stay marked

Copper Bezel
October 2nd, 2011, 04:53 PM
Weird. I assumed that PySDM only read from fstab, so it shouldn't know anything you don't. = )

Is it one specific partition that it won't let you edit permissions on, or does it apply to all of them? If it's specific, what kind of drive or partition is it?

If you do make changes in the text field, do they stick? Remember that the text string is the important part (where the settings are actually being changed to write to fstab) and that the difference will only be visible after a reboot.

Aleksiy
October 2nd, 2011, 06:00 PM
It is applied to all of them.
If I do make changes in the text field, they are stick. I just Linux user and not familiar with it, so I changed ro to rw , added user - did not help.

Copper Bezel
October 2nd, 2011, 06:06 PM
What partitions are you trying to add read-write access to? Are they partitions on the internal hard drive, or a secondary or external drive you've added?

Morbius1
October 2nd, 2011, 06:20 PM
Why not post the output of the following commands so we all know what you are talking about and so that we can help you fix it:

sudo blkid -c /dev/null

cat /etc/fstab

mount

Aleksiy
October 2nd, 2011, 06:35 PM
I just want to restore my system, which was worked fine till I try Storage Device Manager.
I have Windows and Ubuntu on my PC. So no Ubuntu volumes I can not control now.

Copper Bezel
October 2nd, 2011, 06:56 PM
Yeah, in that case, seriously, just post the contents of /etc/fstab and let one of us fix it for you. It'll be a lot easier than diagnosing the problem with Storage Device Manager.

Aleksiy
October 2nd, 2011, 07:12 PM
sudo blkid -c /dev/null

/dev/sda1: LABEL="System Reserved" UUID="F0206D20206CEF52" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda2: UUID="C2EA71C3EA71B46F" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="a2e03138-663e-4e80-b401-6dce42182eb4" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sdb2: UUID="a72c9110-41bd-41da-beba-e661b05d89b0" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sdb3: LABEL="Storage" UUID="84F6A62DF6A62002" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sdc1: LABEL="Marvin" UUID="147AE1DF7AE1BE1C" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sdd1: LABEL="Video" UUID="605C-C462" TYPE="vfat"

aleksiy@Ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
/dev/sdb1 / ext4 defaults 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sdb2 during installation
UUID=a72c9110-41bd-41da-beba-e661b05d89b0 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sdb3 /media/sdb3 ntfs nls=iso8859-1,rw,umask=000 0 0
/dev/sdc1 /media/sdc1 ntfs nls=iso8859-1,rw,umask=000 0 0

aleksiy@Ubuntu:~$ mount
/dev/sdb1 on / type ext4 (rw,commit=0)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
none on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/sdb3 on /media/sdb3 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_ permissions)
/dev/sdc1 on /media/sdc1 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_ permissions)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/aleksiy/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=aleksiy)
/dev/sdd1 on /media/Video type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000, shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush)

I removed line for /dev/sdd1in etc/fstab and now usb card memory looks like restore to normal.
But sdb3 and sdc1 I (Windows storage HDD and Raid0 )can not unmount and remount ( and I have a writing privileges now)

Morbius1
October 2nd, 2011, 07:43 PM
But sdb3 and sdc1 I (Windows storage HDD and Raid0 )can not unmount and remount ( and I have a writing privileges now)

/dev/sdb3 /media/sdb3 ntfs nls=iso8859-1,rw,umask=000 0 0
/dev/sdc1 /media/sdc1 ntfs nls=iso8859-1,rw,umask=000 0 0

Those 2 lines will mount automatically at boot those 2 ntfs partitions with r/w/x access to everyone. You have no need to unmount them. That's why you put them in fstab.

I don't understand the nature of the problem.

Aleksiy
October 2nd, 2011, 08:00 PM
The problem is in Storage Device Manager bugs. It screwed up my system. I corrected fstab manually - thanks all of you, who help me ):P. But I spent two days for it. And still not understand why I can not manually unmount and remount them now. And I am going to remove Storage Device Manager from my system, but afraid it will changed something again if I will do it. Because Storage Device Manager still have read-only option marked on my volumes - I can not unmarked it. I do not know , how it is working.