PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Pre Installation

roajames
October 2nd, 2011, 03:35 AM
Hi,

I am a small OEM System Builder outfit here in the Philippines and I do sell my systems with Ubuntu mainly to my customers who prefer an alternative OS and I have been getting positive feedbacks from these customers.

What I am seeking to inquire and find out is : how I can pre-install Ubuntu on the systems, say much similar as how it is done with windows.

Is there a method/way to achieve this with Ubuntu perhaps to install an image of Ubuntu on the HDD then when the customers starts the computer, it wil boot into Ubuntu?

Am sure that you folks know the way around this and I thank you in advance for the assistance.

Cheers
James R

lisati
October 2nd, 2011, 03:50 AM
There is an option on one of the installation disks (the "alternate" disk, if memory serves correctly) to do an "OEM" installation that installs Ubuntu and lets you preload software. Then when the customer boots for the first time, they are taken through the steps to set up their user/password that normally happens during a regular installation.

roajames
October 2nd, 2011, 10:57 AM
Hi lisati,

Thanks for the reply. Exactly what I was looking for. Found the alternative CD downlod link for Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal and downloading it to my machine now.

Will test the OEM install on one of my PC's and hopefully if all goes well, I will be able to offer Ubuntu Pre-Installed on my PC's to my new customers.

Once again my deepest appreciation and thanks

James R