PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] randomly shuts down

alfredaita
October 1st, 2011, 02:41 PM
Using a 64 bit version of ubuntu 11.0.. for several months.
Today Oct 1 2011 the computer shuts down randomly { does not freze} after several minutes.

The shut down log states : shut down request made due to inactivity (even though i'm using it). It is making a reference to a cron hourly file.

Not sure what to do

In order to restart I must hit the start button 2x rapidly.

Thanks in advance Alfred.

2F4U
October 1st, 2011, 04:01 PM
Can you post the exact entry from the log file? Also, is your machine getting hot?

psrdotcom
October 1st, 2011, 05:29 PM
can you please send the cron job name?

alfredaita
October 2nd, 2011, 11:58 AM
The unit is not staying up long enough for me to copy the the log file.

I'm unable to restart without numerous tries. When it shuts down I did notice that the keyboard is still lit, I have to unplug the unit from the wall to get the light on the key board to go out.

I'm thinking the power unit.

spook1980
October 2nd, 2011, 10:05 PM
could also be a fautly fan in your case, what i would do is turn it on with a live cd in it if it shuts itself off like before then see by touch if anything is unually hot in the machine i had fans fail with me on desktops, a workaround i use until i can get a new case fan is a box fan (don't laugh it does work)

alfredaita
October 3rd, 2011, 09:15 PM
It shuts down immediately. I bought a new PSU should have it installed tonight. I did notice the old PSU was very warm even after being off all night.

I will post the results with new PSU one way or another. If it doesn't work the store said I could return it.

FYI:
Old PSU Antec 550 tp
New PSU Antec earthwatts 650.:popcorn:

What is a box fan?

spook1980
October 3rd, 2011, 09:32 PM
a window fan ment for cooling a home

alfredaita
October 4th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Replaced the PSU.
Problem solved:)

mörgæs
October 4th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Good, then please mark the thread 'solved' using 'thread tools'.