PDA

View Full Version : Why do people say 7" is too small for a tablet?

mamamia88
October 1st, 2011, 02:36 PM
I have an android phone, kindle, and netbook already. I love the kindle for reading but it doesn't browse the web well or do video as well as not displaying photos well. The phone is decent for browsing and video but not idea. Sure 7" might not be as nice as a 10" for video but, if i'm watching a video that i want to get lost in i would wait until i got home and watch on my hdtv with some nice headphones. Reading is fun to do outside but if I wanted to watch video I wouldn't bother leaving the house just to sit in public watching tv. If I was going to bring a bag I might as well bring both my netbook and kindle because I would have the space to spare anyway. For me 7" seems like the perfect sized tablet because I could throw it on my car seat like my kindle and throw it in my back pocket when walking around. Am I the only one who feels like a 10" tablet would be completely useless except as a paperweight? I guess if you just commute back and forth to work and can put your bag under your desk that would be great but for a recreational user like myself it seems kind of pointless.

ninjaaron
October 1st, 2011, 04:43 PM
I believe the reason people say it is because Steve Jobs said it when the Galaxytab first came out.

Steve Jobs said it because he wants people to buy the 10" iPad. He listed some other reasons, but this is the main one, as far as I can tell.

el_koraco
October 1st, 2011, 05:00 PM
I believe the reason people say it is because Steve Jobs said it when the Galaxytab first came out.

lol, and I was getting ready to write just that.

cprofitt
October 1st, 2011, 05:05 PM

Steve Jobs said it because he wants people to buy the 10" iPad. He listed some other reasons, but this is the main one, as far as I can tell.

And the iPad is not 10" its 9.7"

forrestcupp
October 1st, 2011, 05:53 PM
I don't necessarily think 7" is too small, but it is too small for my needs. I need something I can set on a music stand or lectern and be able to look at my speaking notes or music from a small distance. That's the main reason I want a 10".

Also, 7" has lower resolution, so it's harder to fit the full width of a webpage on the screen.

mips
October 1st, 2011, 06:44 PM
7"?, all relative depending on who you ask :biggrin:

nothingspecial
October 1st, 2011, 06:47 PM
Let's keep this clean :roll:

BrokenKingpin
October 1st, 2011, 06:54 PM
And the iPad is not 10" its 9.7"
Really... you are correcting people over .3 of an inch?

HermanAB
October 1st, 2011, 07:14 PM
To some people, size matters and usually 7 inches would be plenty...
;)

nothingspecial
October 1st, 2011, 07:21 PM
Last chance to keep the innuendo out of this please.

KiwiNZ
October 1st, 2011, 07:27 PM
I wonder why, hmmmmmm personal choice, people can have that;)

lisati
October 1st, 2011, 07:32 PM
My phones are good for making phone calls (shock horror that anyone would want to do that!) but found that when I was first looking at netbooks a year or two back I thought that maybe 10" was a tad too small for my liking at the time. Not sure if I'll go for a tablet yet.

mamamia88
October 1st, 2011, 09:02 PM
My phones are good for making phone calls (shock horror that anyone would want to do that!) but found that when I was first looking at netbooks a year or two back I thought that maybe 10" was a tad too small for my liking at the time. Not sure if I'll go for a tablet yet.

I have a netbook and it leaves the house maybe once a month and that is pushing it. I am a man and I don't carry a purse. Heck even on campus I like to leave my backpack in my car if I don't need anything in it. The kindle goes pretty much everywhere with me because I can just grab it and throw it on my car seat in the morning and put it in my back pocket when walking around. Just got to make sure it's not in my pocket when I go to sit down. An ipad is great for sitting down on the couch and browsing the web but thing is browsing the web is so much better with a real keyboard. So the way I see it a kindle sized tablet would be perfect for me. Thing is I am waiting for one with great battery life. Heck would even go back to a dumbphone if I could get a tablet like that. Only place I use the data on my smartphone are in the same situations I would bring the tablet

Copper Bezel
October 1st, 2011, 09:10 PM
I'm a man who does carry a purse, so the 10" size of my netbook isn't a problem. I have been looking at 7" tablets because it's a reasonably readable size that's still more portable than the netbook (or a 10" tablet that would effectively be half the netbook.) 7" fits into a jacket pocket; 10" does not. With a 10" tablet, I'd really want a keyboard so that it could be a proper netbook replacement.

But with that said, I'm used to the netbook as a normal computer size, and a lot of folks aren't. For anyone used to a larger notebook, a 10" tablet would seem like a nice portable and a 7" wouldn't have as many unique advantages.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 1st, 2011, 09:16 PM
If that make someone happy then I'm all for a 7" tablet. It is just not right for me.

My job has required that I travel quite often the past few years.

I got tired of carrying my laptop around all day while I worked away from home; such as, through the airports, to the car, to and from the hotel, then everywhere I went while working.

I bought a 10" netbook that is a lot lighter and smaller. The 10" screen is tolerable; however, I found that I enjoyed my laptop or desktop computers when I get home after using the 10" netbook exclusively for 2 weeks. I enjoy a 14 to 17 inch laptop and a 22 to 32 inch desktop monitor.

I just can't justify spending money for something like a 7" tablet that I will only use an hour a day. I do more with my computer than read Facebook and email. I also can't justify an e-reader when I can use any computer to read e-books. I also use my phone for phone calls and text messages.

LinuxFan999
October 1st, 2011, 09:35 PM
A 7 inch tablet may look very portable, but they look too small when you see them in person. some 7 inch tablets, like the HTC flyer, look like over sized smart phones. 7 inch tablets may also get warm to the touch, since there is not as much room inside for heat to move off of the CPU, and they usually have plastic backs. 10 inch tablets stay cool to the touch (except the iPad 2), are easier to read, and don't look like over sized phones.

aura7
October 1st, 2011, 09:38 PM
If you wear a format trouser a 7' Tablet can be easily carried in your pocket while a 10' cannot.

Copper Bezel
October 1st, 2011, 09:44 PM
A 7 inch tablet may look very portable, but they look too small when you see them in person.
Again, not to everyone, which is what basically everyone is saying in this thread. I personally find the Galaxy Tab to be incredibly ergonomic in person and would pick one up if I had the cash.

inobe
October 2nd, 2011, 12:35 AM
you do have those folks, if they'd didn't have a response on the first touch, it's crap, but imagine the 2nd, 3rd, 4th...................

viperdvman
October 2nd, 2011, 12:54 AM
A 7 inch tablet may look very portable, but they look too small when you see them in person. some 7 inch tablets, like the HTC flyer, look like over sized smart phones. 7 inch tablets may also get warm to the touch, since there is not as much room inside for heat to move off of the CPU, and they usually have plastic backs. 10 inch tablets stay cool to the touch (except the iPad 2), are easier to read, and don't look like over sized phones.

Tablets nowadays, whether 7", 8", or 10", are all over-sized smartphones without the phone. I remember when the first tablets shipped with Windows XP Tablet PC edition and had laptop internals (x86 architecture CPU, SODIMM RAM, HDD, the works). Nowadays, they use the same ARM architecture CPUs, RAM, and Flash memory as smartphones, and even the same smartphone OS (iOS, Android, Blackberry, etc.)

My, how times have changed.

forrestcupp
October 2nd, 2011, 02:50 AM
I also can't justify an e-reader when I can use any computer to read e-books.
It's just not nearly as comfortable to lay in bed with a computer.