PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Firefox does not heed "save to file" for PDF documents

chandra
October 1st, 2011, 11:31 AM
I find it quite embarrassing to state that even after doing

Edit -> Preferences -> Applications -> PDF

and choosing

Save File

I am unable to change Firefox's default action with a PDF link.

I suspect that there could be some corruption in my profile settings.

Can someone please point me in the right direction, please.

Thank you.

Frogs Hair
October 1st, 2011, 05:30 PM
Look in Edit > Preferences > General tab for your download file saving preferences . I use always ask for PDF , so I have not experienced this problem .

The .mozilla folder with profile can be found in home/hidden folders . Use Crtl + H to display hidden folders in the file browser .

psrdotcom
October 1st, 2011, 05:30 PM
Hi chandra,

Can you please post the screenshot of your problem?

chandra
October 2nd, 2011, 05:32 AM
Look in Edit > Preferences > General tab for your download file saving preferences . I use always ask for PDF , so I have not experienced this problem .

Yes, what I have selected under downloads is

Always ask me where to save files

The .mozilla folder with profile can be found in home/hidden folders . Use Crtl + H to display hidden folders in the file browser .

I am quite happy to edit any profile files if told which file and what to edit.

chandra
October 2nd, 2011, 01:52 PM
Hi chandra,

Can you please post the screenshot of your problem?

They are attached with unnecessary details erased.

It is interesting that it is not a Download dialog but an Open dialog that is showing up. Some sites do not provide the PDF link directly to be saved using
Save Link As from a right click, and I believe that this is what is happening in this case.

Strangely, the default behaviour until recently in the Open dialog was to save the file. Also, it is interesting that the checkbox at the bottom is greyed out.

TIA.

Frogs Hair
October 3rd, 2011, 01:50 AM
Is that an Adobe PDF ? I found a similar problem on a Mozilla forum but the person was using Windows so I didn't post the link . There is plenty of information about editing Windows profiles but I have not found anything helpful for Linux .