PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] creating bootable usb

prudra
October 1st, 2011, 11:27 AM
I have a Zenith (India) Z-Book OEM 32-bit Intel Atom Netbook with Debian Squeeze OS and no Windows or Ubuntu. I want to create a bootable usb for my already downloaded ubuntu-10.04-netbook-i386.iso.
I have previously created and used bootable usb for debian-squeeze and opensuse-11.4 with cli command
#dd if=xxxxx.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M. There is a slight difference in procedure for the two linux operating systems. However the usb that I created by the above cli command for ubuntu did not work. I also tried the unetbootin that I have previously istalled in my debian machine but again got a failure. In all the google searching I found how to create a bootable ubuntu usb but only on windows or ubuntu or mac machines; but not on other linux operating system. I have now come here for help and I'll appreciate it enormously.
Thanks.
P.Rudra.

Basher101
October 1st, 2011, 11:36 AM
try the universalusbcreator from www.pendrivelinux.com ..its for windows tho....maybe you can run it with wine

2F4U
October 1st, 2011, 04:35 PM
This official Ubuntu documentation about creating a bootable usb stick is dedicated to machines that already have Linux installed.

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/installation-guide/i386/boot-usb-files.html

prudra
October 2nd, 2011, 01:00 PM
This official Ubuntu documentation about creating a bootable usb stick is dedicated to machines that already have Linux installed.

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/installation-guide/i386/boot-usb-files.html

I could not manage the linux route. So reluctantly took the windows route (universal usb creator) and have now ubuntu-10.04.3-LTS installed on the netbook. At least now I have the StartupDiscCreator ; so there will be no problem when 12.04 comes out.
I'll now be more frequent visitor here.Thanks.
P.Rudra.

mörgæs
October 2nd, 2011, 03:42 PM
Good, please mark the thread 'solved' using 'thread tools'.

prudra
October 4th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Sorry, I should have done that; but how? Will it be possible to close it by someone with Administrator status? Thanks in advance.