PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Crontab/gnome-schedule

h4x0rjd420
September 30th, 2011, 08:10 PM
All want to do is have gnome-schedule or something run "sudo killall apt-get" every hour. Will someone please tell me how to do this?

judoka9999
September 30th, 2011, 08:39 PM
This is almost surely not what you actually want... but, as root, put a file in /etc/cron.d/ called killapt

The contents of the file should be:
0 * * * * root killall apt-get

Then restart cron (not sure if this is necessary, but it won't hurt.)
sudo /etc/init.d/cron restart

This will show an error on 11.04, but will work. I specify this method because it should be more portable than:
sudo service cron restart

This will run "killall apt-get" as root every hour on the hour. If you want to run at 15 minutes past the hour, change the 0 to 15, etc.

Again, this seems to me like a bad idea, but good luck!

WasMeHere
September 30th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Here are some good examples how-to set up crontab. I have used these tutorials to set up a talking clock.

Cron and Crontab usage and examples (http://www.pantz.org/software/cron/croninfo.html)
Linux Crontab: 15 Awesome Cron Job Examples (http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/06/15-practical-crontab-examples/)

h4x0rjd420
October 1st, 2011, 08:47 PM
I run ubuntu 10.10, and about every hour or so apt-get uses all of my cpu in the background, the only way I've been able to find to stop it is "sudo killall apt-get" about every hour or so.

I'm not totally sure what you mean by or the purpose of saving that as a file, I downloaded gnome-schedule and have no idea how to use the cron in a terminal, I've been trying to figure it out for weeks to solve this problem specifically.

Thank you for the help though, hopefully it does what I need it to lol. =)

WasMeHere
October 1st, 2011, 09:13 PM
... as root, put a file in /etc/cron.d/ called killapt

The contents of the file should be:
0 * * * * root killall apt-get

cron looks into the directory /etc/cron.d/ every minute and reads the files (simple text files with one line for each action).

But there is a reason why apt-get is busy. You must allow it to download and install at least the security updates! The recommended updates download and install improvements of different programs, so they are also good to get. I don't know, but it is possible that apt-get is started by cron. In that case you can look for a file in /etc/cron.d/ with a line of numbers and stars in the beginning and the name 'apt-get' plus some other text at the end.

Normally apt-get will work silently in the background. It should not bother you. Usually it will add an icon on the bottom panel, showing that there are updates waiting to be installed.

Krytarik
October 1st, 2011, 09:47 PM
+1 to what judoka9999 said:

Again, this seems to me like a bad idea, but good luck!
Why? Imagine this: 'apt-get' is automically killed right when it does upgrades, or when you run it yourself, to install or remove packages. Do you get the point, why letting kill 'apt-get' automatically, no matter what it does right then, is one of the worst ideas you can have!?

So, better figure out why it's recurringly using up all your CPU, as Olle Wiklund kinda pointed out.

Greetings.