PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 11.10 b2 Live-CD graphics problems with ATI graphics

jule256
September 30th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I would like to try out Ubuntu 11.10 b2 on my computer (an Athlon X2 64 5000+ on an Asus M2A VM/HDMI AM2 Mainboard with 4GB of memory, the graphics card is an HIS Radeon HD 3870).

I downloaded the ubuntu-11.10-beta2-desktop-amd64.iso und created a bootable usb stick using UNetbootin.

After booting I see the UNetbootin menu with different options. When I choose "Default" (/ubnkern initrd=/ubninit file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet spash --) the system loads for a short while and then I get a black screen and can't do anything (CTRL+ALT+Fx or CTRL+ALT+DEL don't work).

The same happens when I choose "Try Ubuntu without installing" (/casper/vmlinuz initrd=/casper/initrd.lz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash --).

Next thing I tried - since I heavily suspect it's the graphics driver's fault - was to add nomodeset (/casper/vmlinuz initrd=/casper/initrd.lz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash nomodeset --).
As a result I get a graphical loadingscreen saying "Ubuntu 11.10" and showing the little loading dots. After that I get a blue/black speckled screen with a mouse cursor which I can move jumpily.

Now I am out of ideas. I've read that I probably need the fglrx proprietary graphics driver, but I have no clue how I can add the driver to my live-CD before before the GUI. Is there a way to edit the live-CD-Ubuntu on the stick to add the driver?

Is there a way to log the error which is causing the system freeze?

Any help is appreciated!

btw: I tried the same a couple of month ago on 11.04, so I don't think that it's a problem with the beta-state of 11.10.

MAFoElffen
September 30th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I would like to try out Ubuntu 11.10 b2 on my computer (an Athlon X2 64 5000+ on an Asus M2A VM/HDMI AM2 Mainboard with 4GB of memory, the graphics card is an HIS Radeon HD 3870).

I downloaded the ubuntu-11.10-beta2-desktop-amd64.iso und created a bootable usb stick using UNetbootin.

After booting I see the UNetbootin menu with different options. When I choose "Default" (/ubnkern initrd=/ubninit file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet spash --) the system loads for a short while and then I get a black screen and can't do anything (CTRL+ALT+Fx or CTRL+ALT+DEL don't work).

The same happens when I choose "Try Ubuntu without installing" (/casper/vmlinuz initrd=/casper/initrd.lz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash --).

Next thing I tried - since I heavily suspect it's the graphics driver's fault - was to add nomodeset (/casper/vmlinuz initrd=/casper/initrd.lz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash nomodeset --).
As a result I get a graphical loadingscreen saying "Ubuntu 11.10" and showing the little loading dots. After that I get a blue/black speckled screen with a mouse cursor which I can move jumpily.

Now I am out of ideas. I've read that I probably need the fglrx proprietary graphics driver, but I have no clue how I can add the driver to my live-CD before before the GUI. Is there a way to edit the live-CD-Ubuntu on the stick to add the driver?

Is there a way to log the error which is causing the system freeze?

Any help is appreciated!

btw: I tried the same a couple of month ago on 11.04, so I don't think that it's a problem with the beta-state of 11.10.
In stead of adding "nomodeset" (usually for nvidia graphics), please use "radeon.modeset=0" for ATI.

jule256
September 30th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks, MAFoElffen, for your reply.

Using /casper/vmlinuz initrd=/casper/initrd.lz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash radeon.modeset=0 -- does not change anything. I see the graphical ubuntu loading screen with the dots and then a blue/black speckled screen with a mouse cursor.

I noticed a short flickering of messages before the black/blue comes. Took a camera to film it and then transcribed it:

[ 16.428458] SP5100 TCI timer: mmio address 0xfec000f0 already in use
* Checking battery state [OK]
* Starting CUPS printing spooler/server [OK]
* Stopping System V runlevel compatibility [OK]Looks pretty okay to me altough I have no idea what a TCI timer or an mmio address is.

I've also read about the boot options BOOT_DEBUG=2|3 and DEBCONF_DEBUG=5, but where are those debug informations logged?

Any other hints how I can fix this and get the live-system running?

Hakunka-Matata
September 30th, 2011, 04:51 PM
That Motherboard has an onboard graphics channel, ATI Radeon Xpress 1250. Can you get any further using that video output, instead of your graphics card?

jule256
September 30th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks, Hakunka-Matata, that was a great idea. I could kick myself that I did not think of that.

I physically removed the PCIe graphics card from the system and set the primary graphics adapter in the BIOS to onboard and the Live-CD works like a charm.

I already installed the Ubuntu 11.10 using the desktop icon of the live system. The next step is - I guess - to install the proprietary ATI graphics driver, shut the system down, add the PCIe graphics card again, set it in the BIOS as primary, and start the system.

Next question: How can I install the ATI driver - while being in the live session - on the freshly installed, not active, Ubuntu system?

MAFoElffen
September 30th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Edit-- Too late for that suggestion...
- Going on...

How comfortable are you in a commandline? You can mount the installed system and install your drivers to the mounted system... (Withheld the instructions until you responded about your comfort-level with that...)

MAFoElffen
September 30th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Easiest, fastest painless method is to reboot > stop at the Grub Menu and select yhe Rescue Mose > start in low graphics Mode > System > Administartion > Additional Drivers > see if there is a driver there to install....

Or install the proprietary driver while running from a TTY Text commandline.

jule256
September 30th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks, MAFoElffen, I've read your entry before you edited it and it looked like a lot of work!

My last question was actually pretty stupid. I got it up and running now on the PCIe card:

I shut down the live-system and removed the USB installation stick. Then I booted again into the new system (still running on the onboard VGA). In the freshly installed system I ran
sudo apt-get install fglrxAfter the installation of the graphics driver was complete, I shut down the system again, put in the PCIe card, started again, changed the primary display port in the BIOS and voilą: A system like I wanted it.

Next step would be a full system LUKS encryption, but I'll bother you in another thread if I stumble upon problems there.

Thanks again guys, you rock. Thread closed.

And PS: Yeah, I am comfortable with the command line and I have used chroot before, but I am happy that I did not need to use it here :-)

Hakunka-Matata
September 30th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Excerpt from post# 5

I already installed the Ubuntu 11.10 using the desktop icon of the live system. The next step is - I guess - to install the proprietary ATI graphics driver, shut the system down, add the PCIe graphics card again, set it in the BIOS as primary, and start the system.Since you've installed 11.10, (I'm loving it, but I am using the 32bit Desktop pae kernel): NEW LOCATION for ADDITIONAL DRIVERS IN 11.10. In system settings, HARDWARE is a category, and Additional Drivers is found in it.
There is no more Administration sub folder/directory, so if you're using unity the name of the app is Additional Drivers