PDA

View Full Version : Internet Video:HTML5, Flash, Java, or anything else?

Robert Moyse
September 29th, 2011, 06:57 PM
What do you think?

Sorry, it was confusing, which is better as an internet plugin for streaming video?

thatguruguy
September 29th, 2011, 07:00 PM
It is difficult to see what point, if any, you are trying to make.

collisionystm
September 29th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I. Do. Not. Compute.

DangerOnTheRanger
September 29th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Do you mean which method of displaying video would we prefer the Internet as a whole use?

KiwiNZ
September 29th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Never Flash

lovinglinux
September 29th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Never Flash

Although I really don't like flash, if wasn't for it I wouldn't be able to watch many videos from services I subscribe. I rather prefer Flash than some player based on Silverlight or other Windows streaming format with DRM. However, I would prefer if they use HTML5.

Merk42
September 29th, 2011, 09:46 PM
What do we use?
What should sites use?
What is your question? :confused:

Robert Moyse
October 8th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Sorry about the confusion, I meant which is better for streaming video across the internet.

smellyman
October 8th, 2011, 01:35 PM
being in youtubes html5 option is great.

Robert Moyse
October 12th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I think HTML5.

Dr. C
October 12th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Never Flash

Why?

dniMretsaM
October 12th, 2011, 10:11 PM
HTML5 definitely! It's supports .ogv video streaming, which is awesome in my opinion.

Why?

Proprietary, slow, often has problems on GNU/Linux (especially with dual monitors), low quality, etc.

Paqman
October 12th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Sorry about the confusion, I meant which is better for streaming video across the internet.

Better for who?

Right now, you can't guarantee that the majority of users have a browser with good support for HTML5. You can't assume they all have Flash either, but coverage would be better so it would have to be your first choice.

If you're serving up video, the most important thing is that people can see it (otherwise what's the point?). Wider HTML5 support will come with time, at which point we can drop Flash for video.

Dr. C
October 12th, 2011, 10:21 PM
HTML5 definitely! It's supports .ogv video streaming, which is awesome in my opinion.

Proprietary, slow, often has problems on GNU/Linux (especially with dual monitors), low quality, etc.

I would use HTML5 with WebM as my primary for a website. As a fall back Flash 7 or earlier and tested with Gnash simply cannot be beaten from a compatibility standpoint.

Robert Moyse
April 3rd, 2012, 03:54 PM
The problem with the video and audio tags is that you can just right click on them and the video will save.