View Full Version : [ubuntu] External monitor won't work after installing the additional drivers

September 29th, 2011, 06:47 PM
So i've installed Ubuntu 11.04, patched it with a million updates and everything went perfect. But when i tried to up my display's resolution i noticed i couldn't go past 1024*768, even though my monitor is designed for 1280*1024.
I asked around and found that Nvidia's drivers aren't installed with the updates. So i went System -> Administration -> Additional Drivers and installed the recommended one.
Now i've got my 1280*1024 resolution but my external monitor won't work anymore, like, AT ALL.
The display settings won't even detect it until i uninstall that additional driver from Nvidia. And then i'm back at 1024*768.

Any ideas?

PS. my graphics card is a GeForce 9600M GT

September 29th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Do you have nvidia-settings installed? And is there anything you can achieve there??

September 29th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Do you have nvidia-settings installed? And is there anything you can achieve there??

Sorry, i have no idea of what you're saying. I'll probably be hitting my head on my desk after i find out how obvious it is.

But where do i get these settings from?
And what exactly do these settings do?

September 30th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Okay. So, problem solved. It apparently my computer fixed itself.
I turned my computer on just now and everything was fixed. Though i tried rebooting several times earlier to no avail.
I really have no idea of what happened, all i know is that i've got my 1280*1024 resolution on my external monitor.
(screenshot included)

Thread = SOLVED and sorry for a dumb question.

September 30th, 2011, 11:37 AM
God dammit.

Right after i posted that last bit i decided to check my screen settings again, and the moment the Display Settings dialog popped up my desktop got capped at 1024*768 like it was earlier.

Thread = unsolved and i want to hit something.