PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading Ubuntu

Mazate
September 29th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Since a new release is coming out soon, I was curious to know what opportunities there are for upgrading natty to the newest version without screwing everything up? I've been a fedora user and just switched over last week. It's a known thing that upgrading fedora to a new version will "probably" go over ok but the risk of the whole thing getting FUBAR'd is always there.

Is it the same in Ubuntu or is upgrading fairly reliable vs a clean install?

Frogs Hair
September 29th, 2011, 04:05 AM
I prefer clean installations , but many have success with upgrades . Read the release notes , make backups , remove all proprietary video drivers , and purge all PPA'S if you have any.

garvinrick4
September 29th, 2011, 04:22 AM
I think we have all done both quite a few times and if had my druthers would certainly
want a nice clean install over a upgrade. Takes over 1000 packages to dist-upgrade is
just as easy to Burn cd (going to want one anyway for Live cd work) and install and
if did have a separate /home it is all still there just replacing / with newer version.
Update and upgrade install your preferred packages get your settings in order and done.
After a while is second nature. If you are just starting with Ubuntu just get a nice guide as
to what to install and how until get the hang of it. Here is one. (http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Main_Page)

business_user
September 29th, 2011, 03:30 PM
We've been using Ubuntu for years here and have never had any problems with upgrades apart from some config files like samba/apache2 being overwritten, but is usually asks of you want the your old version or the package maintainers version, so you do get a choice.